UKC

Bishop - when's best?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Ian Hill 25 Apr 2002
One for Mick probably here...I can take a month off in the last quarter of this year and want to use it to go bouldering in Bishop...what's the best time to visit? September or October or November or later or when? I don't want it to be too cold, to be able to climb bare-chested would be nice...
Ian Hill 25 Apr 2002
In reply to Ian Hill: any thoughts anyone? Midgets?
In reply to Ian Hill:

Ian, I am sure Mick will answer this, however it is 6 o'clock in the morning in Bishop which is early, even for Mick.

Alan
Ian Hill 25 Apr 2002
In reply to Alan James, ROCKFAX: thanks Alan, I know it's early there, I just wanted to keep the thread up the list...
In reply to Ian Hill:

Christmas/New Year was grand, but I wouldn't be climbing topless then!
 Michael Ryan 25 Apr 2002
In reply to Alan James, ROCKFAX:

I was at the Druids at 5...

What was the question...it's perfect today actually...overcast and cool with a bit of snow in the mountains...

M
 Michael Ryan 25 Apr 2002
In reply to Ian Hill:

Ian - November.

September is still high summer here - top 80's F...October starting to turn....especially the aspens....

definately November....first snows usually arrive in the mountains but the bouldering will be bare-chested perfect......and I think we may be able to give a written Rockfax promise......

Mick
 Adam Lincoln 25 Apr 2002
In reply to Mick - Rockfax USA:

Might be over myself then Mick!
In reply to Adam Lincoln:

Adam, you'll never get over yourself...
 Michael Ryan 25 Apr 2002
In reply to Adam Lincoln:

Well give us a shout if so and I may be able to fix some reasonably priced accomodation up - better the Climbers Pit...

and you Midge : o )

M
Ian Hill 25 Apr 2002
In reply to Mick - Rockfax USA: sounds like it'll be November then...I'd be interested if you know of any good, cheap accomodation (of course you do...)

what's this with the Rockfax? Are you doing more than just the survival guide?

you'll be wanting some tea bags brought over will you??

Ian
 Michael Ryan 25 Apr 2002
In reply to Ian Hill:

As regards Rockfax guides for Bishop area Ian:

1. Eastern Sierra Climbing is coming out this summer: trad/sport/ice/alpine/bouldering

2. 2nd edition of the Bishop Bouldering Survival Kit in Sept.

3. A pdf MiniGuide Bishop BoulderingTrip planner in August at rockfax.com

4. This winter Wills Young and myself are working on the actual Bishop Bouldering Guide "Book" - in color.

My VP of Business Development will be working on several acccomodation options for climbers for next winter. Working out deals, discounnts and the like..

Tea bags - always:

cheers,

Mick
Ian Hill 25 Apr 2002
In reply to Mick - Rockfax USA: Cool, sounds like th end of the year is a god time to visit...I can't wait already...
 Michael Ryan 25 Apr 2002
In reply to Ian Hill:

I'll pray that there isn't an earthquake - but there again that might expose a lot of new problems.....mmmmm...new problems...I can smell them already...

M
valerie 26 Apr 2002
In reply to Ian Hill:

Re:affordable accommodations in Bishop

I think the RockFax guide makes mention of the Bardini House. I don't have the phone number for reservations for the house but you could probably get it from the Bishop Survival Kit or from the Bardini Foundation web site. This is a brilliant little cabin that you can get for $10/person/night. It is fine to have multiple people in the place -- whatever you are willing to tolerate. It has a bedroom with a double bed, a small living space, and a fully equipped kitchen. The decor is Early Climber Poverty but the deal is unbeatable. The place is managed by a nonprofit organization in honor of Allan Bard, a climber and mountain man who owned the place but died a while back.

As the Bardini house is frequently booked very early in the season, your next best bet for affordable lodging would be to rent a cottage through some friends of mine, Tricia and Matt. They live right in town and have a small cottage behind their home with a bedroom, bathroom, living area, and fully furnished kitchen. The furnishings are simple but very comfortable, and one of the owners brews his own beer, which you can sometimes sample. If anyone wants their contact info, simply drop me a line off list and I will pass it along. I believe they charge $40/night, which is on par with hotels in town, but with the benefit of cooking facilities and a little more breathing space. You can probably negotiate the rate down for a longer stay. There is a queen bed in the bedroom plus a double futon that folds out in the living room.

Of course, camping is your most affordable option but nights can be very cold, even when the days are warm.

Looking forward to seeing folks next season,
Valerie
Ian Hill 26 Apr 2002
In reply to valerie: Thanks Valerie...either option sounds good, I'll send you a mail to get the contact details...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...