UKC

I need a good Waterproof Jacket

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Souljah 01 Nov 2005
As winter draws in im in need of a decent waterproof jackets to wear over my baselayer and or fleece.

Whats the crack with these fancy 'Soft Shells' Are they any good?

Im not too bothered about a fleece lining or anything like that as ive got tat already, just need a good Waterproof outer layer for the winter.

Budget £100 - £150
Any Suggestions?
Ian Straton 01 Nov 2005
In reply to Souljah: don't know if you wear glasses or not but avoid berghaus, the hoods on their jackets are rubbish, they don't move with your head at all, which is very uncomfortable when wearing glasses.

I ended up getting a mountain equiment ogre, which is a very good jacket but costs around £200
In reply to Souljah:

Buy a Montane 200, lightest full zip waterproof there is. Not great for being out all day in but you can leave it in the sac and carry it everywhere!
 vscott 01 Nov 2005
In reply to Souljah: see http://... fro some pretty good deals on waterproofs
OP Souljah 01 Nov 2005
I agree, the Rab 'Latok' looks the nuts!
A good price too, might have to go and try one on.
luke_brown 01 Nov 2005
In reply to Souljah: I've just ordered myself a Latok as everything I've heard about has been good. Decided to order a medium though, even though I'm normally a small, as heard that the sizings are quite small and will also probably be wearing it over the top of a couple of layers.
moomin 01 Nov 2005
In reply to Souljah:

I asked the same question last week. Have just ordered 3 different jackets.

Good luck - it's very confusing.
OP Souljah 01 Nov 2005
In reply to moomin:

You must have money to burn!

So what did you end up buying?
In reply to Souljah: Gore windstopper claims to be: -

Warm,

Windproof,

water resistant

Breathable,

From what i've heard it's none of these!

Get the rab latok.

Jonny Tee 69 01 Nov 2005
In reply to Souljah:

Berghaus Pinnacle III if you can get it on sale.
Wes 01 Nov 2005
In reply to Souljah: Lots of fans of the Latok on here...i jhave one and i love it. Best jacket i've ever had. Event works much better for me than Gore fabrics. Fits like a dream as well.

Happy shopping!
 Ands 01 Nov 2005
In reply to Souljah:

I have a Mountain Equipment LHoste. It has to be one of THE most waterproof jackets ever made. I bought it for this reason. I do a lot of outdoors activities in Scotland and the wet is what I nee a jacket to deal with. It is also a great windstopper. It is not thick and too warm for windy summer days either so I can wear it all year round with a fleece under it for the winter. Absolutely THE best hood I have ever seen also. You can pick them up for about £170 on the web if you're lucky.

Ands
OP Souljah 02 Nov 2005
Is it worth spending shed-loads on a 'high altitude' jacket if your not spending time above 5000 feet ?.

Does it make sence to make do with a cheaper lightweight one with a spare in case it turns nasty?
 Ands 02 Nov 2005
In reply to Souljah:

I suppose it depends on how much you're going to be using it. What you're going to be using it for and how much you're willing to spend. I had a kag in a bag type thing which I found to not breathe at all. You could go for a Craghoppers Pakka jacket:

http://www.completeoutdoors.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=1898

I would suggest they are more summer/light shower solutions though. At this time of year your best to go for something a bit more sturdy. I spent about £90 on various lightweight jackets and was never happy until I decided to splash on the ME LHotse.

If you're talking about the Rab jacket being a tad too much for the Scottish winter then I cannot comment other than saying that from what I know Rab gear is very high quality.

If you want a jacket you can use to do the Munros in/hike in all year round in the UK then you will want something without too much built-in insulation (fleece underneath for winter) and HIGHLY waterproof. i.e. the ME LHotse or similar.

If you want a winter jacket to say stand about belaying 900m up a hill in a blizzard when your partner is leading an ice pitch then you will probably be better to go with something with in-built insulation AND wearing a fleece underneath it...

Ands
OP Souljah 02 Nov 2005
In reply to Ands:
Yeh, the 'LHoste' looks and sounds very good.
My budget was around £100-£150 and ive seen some very good discounts for around that mark.
Ill have to compare it to the RAB I was looking at origonaly.
 IPPurewater 02 Nov 2005
In reply to Souljah: I would highly recommend Paramo waterproofs. THey are a bit heavier than most, but also a bit warmer, and they will last you ages.
kai2 02 Nov 2005
In reply to Souljah:
RAB Latok

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...