UKC

Favourite base layer

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
kai2 02 Nov 2005
Hi,
Thinking about buying a new base layer to fit under my S/Shell. Maybe get a fancy Icebreaker merino thingy. I Want it for Alpine & UK Winter.
Any suggestions ?

Leeroy 02 Nov 2005
In reply to kai2:
if u take xl there is a proper cheap patagonia one in snow and rocks sale... sorry no link....

13 quid just got mine delivered its pretty nice!
pwhiteside 02 Nov 2005
In reply to kai2: If you buy a merino wool baselayer, make sure you try it first. They are not supposed to be itchy but some people including myself find that it is. From what I can gather, most people don't find them itchy and really rate them. I have heard that smartwool ones are supposed to be among the best.
kai2 02 Nov 2005
In reply to kai2:
Pity I'm not XL
Maybe I could eat more and could grow into it.
 2pints 02 Nov 2005
In reply to kai2:

HH one thats Merino wool and normal wats it called,

Best of both worlds.
 Jon Greengrass 02 Nov 2005
In reply to kai2: a holey purple merino sweater from M&S
 Jamie Hageman 02 Nov 2005
In reply to kai2: I recommend The North Face Powerstretch top in the Flight Series. I wear it all day every day, it's very comfortable, but most of all, it still looks like new - no pilling or wear on the fabric. Remember - Power(stretch) to the People!
 coinneach 02 Nov 2005
In reply to kai2:

John Entwhistle
 coinneach 02 Nov 2005
In reply to coinneach:

Sorry...............I thought it was "Bass Player"
 Caralynh 02 Nov 2005
In reply to kai2:
Polartec Powerdry.
I have Icebreaker merino, as well as other synthetics, but the powerdry top is still my favourite. It's warm enough, but not TOO warm (since I run hot), dries very fast (even when wet it dries overnight stuffed in the sleeping bag), and just feels lovely.
In reply to kai2:

Matalan are selling thin-ish Merino wool jumpers for a tenner right now, in their gentleman's attire range. You can also get Merino wool jumpers like them in TKMaxxx for £16. Better than £30 from M & S or £50 odd from Howies.
nb290 02 Nov 2005
In reply to Caralynr:

Polartec Powerdry STINKS
 Caralynh 02 Nov 2005
In reply to nb290:
> (In reply to Caralynr)
>
> Polartec Powerdry STINKS

Nah, mine's OK actually. Bizarrely, my merino stinks more than the powerdry! Each to their own though
 Jamie Hageman 02 Nov 2005
In reply to Caralynr: Powerstretch beats them all. Ha
 Jamie B 03 Nov 2005
In reply to Jamie Hageman:

> I recommend The North Face Powerstretch top in the Flight Series. I wear it all day every day.

Really? Every single day? Even in Australia? That sounds well manky.
 Jamie Hageman 03 Nov 2005
In reply to Jamie B.: I wear it so often that the TNF logo has become imprinted on my left nipple.

The ladies like it
 Simon Holden 04 Nov 2005
In reply to kai2:

I've used a few layes over the years and found the berghaus longsleave ones (£20 from Blacks) the best
 Graham T 04 Nov 2005
In reply to kai2:
Either Dryflo zone, or a dryflo long sleeve when its not cold enough to need a top layer (-2 or so)
 malk 04 Nov 2005
In reply to all:

whats the problem with silk?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...