UKC

Camelbak, Platypus or Source?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
nb290 11 Nov 2005
which of these manufacturers makes the best hydration system? which is most durable, light, easy to fill and clean, and usable in cold conditions? I'm after a simple one to be put in a backpack - nothing fancy with shoulder straps etc.
 JR 11 Nov 2005
In reply to nb290:

camelbak, with a anti freezing cover... more expensive but better than the others as the reservoirs last longer so you get your moneys worth. Ive only just replaced the one i bought in 1998 and that wasnt because it had split, my mates seem to be buying new source and platy reservoirs all the time...
 NIGBEE 11 Nov 2005
In reply to nb290:

from a MTB point of view Camelback are the best and then I just use the bladder in my climbing sack
 stevomcd 11 Nov 2005
In reply to nb290:

I'd actually disagree and suggest Platypus. The "big zip" opening system is great, makes them so easy to clean and dry. Reservoirs have lifetime guarantees as well.

The one chink in the platypus armour has recently been closed up - you can now get lockable bite valves for them.
Biggow 11 Nov 2005
In reply to nb290:

I just use the Hi Gear Smartube, which is just a drinking tube that you then attach to a bottle of water. It works absolutely brilliantly and you don't have to bother with cleaning the bladder as there isn't one. It's cheap too - only 9 quid!

http://www.gear-zone.co.uk/eshop/Hi-Gear-SmarTube-Drinking-Tube.html
nb290 11 Nov 2005
In reply to Biggow:

sounds good! but how do they get round the problem that once you suck water out of a non-flexible water bottle, you need to let air in?

and in freezing conditions, what do you do: do they make an insulating kit for the tube, or can you fit the platypus or camelbak one?
Biggow 11 Nov 2005
In reply to nb290:

I've no idea on the first point, as I don't know the technicalities of it all, all I know is that it just works.

As far as freezing goes, I've only used it since early summer so I haven't had that problem yet, but yes I suppose some kind of insulation may be needed. However, yes it does have various different bottle attachments so it wouldn't surprise me if one of them fits either a Platypus or Camelbak.
nb290 11 Nov 2005
In reply to Biggow:

an insulating cover for the tube would be essential... I just emailed the GearZone people with that question.
In reply to nb290: I bought a Source, it leaks through the bite valve very easily. The valve on the source appears to be rather more complex than is strictly necessary. Also the way the tube is held against the side of the bladder is an absolute a**e
m0unt41n 11 Nov 2005
In reply to Southampton Tom: So did mine. The seal is the orange plastic bit against the soft plastic bite surround which distorts and leaks after a year or so.
Biggow 11 Nov 2005
In reply to nb290:

To be honest I hadn't really thought about the freezing issue before.

I've just mailed Higear Leisure http://www.higearleisure.com/pages/new_products.htm , the makers of the Smartube, to ask what they recommend as I'd personally hate to have to buy something like a Camelbak just for the winter months and therefore have to go through the hassle of cleaning the thing.
In reply to nb290:

Nalgene TPE Super D is a very good bladder.

http://www.sypeland.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=39&...

but the thing with bladders is aftercare, people complain about them getting mildew in the pipe. To prevent this either leave the whole system full of Tap water, as the chlorine will prevent nasties growing, then flush out with clean water before use. Or store it in the freezer.
Biggow 11 Nov 2005
In reply to A Nidderdale boulderer.:

I put my Smartube in the freezer as soon as I get back, and leave it there until the next outing, and it seems to do the trick.
nb290 11 Nov 2005

the nalgene bladder definitely seems very good.

but do they make a drinking tube insulator for it?
 soveda 11 Nov 2005
Miltons sterilizing fluid, fab to clean hydration pack bladders.
Ade

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...