UKC

Top Gear - Leo Houlding

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
FredMead 13 Nov 2005
Just wondered if anyone knew the date of the "Top Gear" that features Leo Houlding and Tim Emment(?) climbing in Verdon ...

Fred
 AndyH1710 13 Nov 2005
In reply to FredMead:

Is Top Gear back on yet? I miss that program. In reply to the original question: Not a clue.

Andy
 Jason Kirk 13 Nov 2005
In reply to AndyH1710:

Yes at 8:00 pm tonight.
FredMead 13 Nov 2005
In reply to AndyH1710:

It had best be on tonight! If its not, I have to resort to watching the second Lord of the Rings before the first...
mm548 13 Nov 2005
In reply to FredMead: then for your sake i too hope it is on! if you ask me the LOTR films are over rated - i think i actually fell asleep in the cinema when watching the first one!
 vankampen 13 Nov 2005
In reply to Jason Kirk:
hmm gonna be so good to watch that is what all tv should be.
Wingman@work 13 Nov 2005
In reply to Jason Kirk:

thought it was the 20th according to planet fear?
 saggers 13 Nov 2005
In reply to FredMead:

new series starts tonight leo is on on the 20th i.e next sunday
Carpe Diem 13 Nov 2005
In reply to Jason Kirk:

Sunday nights are worth staying in for again......

yey!!!!!!!!!!!
 AndyH1710 13 Nov 2005
In reply to Carpe Diem:

Brilliant. Clarkson was even more un-PC than usual! Loved the German jokes.

Andy
Carpe Diem 13 Nov 2005
In reply to AndyH1710:
though he was quick on the ball with the french cars in the survey.....

Oohhh, that porsche!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wannit nowwwwww !!!
 AndyH1710 13 Nov 2005
In reply to Carpe Diem:

Bloke in the audience with " Top Queer" deserved some sort of prize.

Don't like the new style porsches. Don't like the headlights on them. Wouldn't say no to one from a couple of years ago though!

Andy
Carpe Diem 13 Nov 2005
In reply to AndyH1710:

Didnt know it was on till i saw this post.Missed the first 30 mins.. bugger!!!!!!
 Bob 13 Nov 2005
In reply to AndyH1710:

Ah, my weekly Daily Mail moment has returned!

Bob
 saggers 13 Nov 2005
In reply to FredMead:

cocks by porsches....classic clarkson
 Andy Farnell 13 Nov 2005
In reply to Carpe Diem:
> (In reply to Jason Kirk)
>
> Sunday nights are worth staying in for again......
>
>
> yey!!!!!!!!!!!

How true... the funniest and most un-pc thing on TV. Clarkson... Either you love him, or you hate him. Me, I think he's great, say's what he means and means what he say's. PC... fcuk it.

Andy F
 Jason Kirk 13 Nov 2005
In reply to Carpe Diem:

>
> Oohhh, that porsche!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> I wannit nowwwwww !!!

I drove a boxster for the first time yesterday afternoon.

Wow!

Completely amazing.

I've got to start selling more so I can buy one, well after a bought a house anyway.

AndyH1710 13 Nov 2005
In reply to Jason Kirk:
> (In reply to Carpe Diem)
>
> well after a bought a house anyway.

Forget the house and get a 911. You got family? If not just live in the 911. If yes then sell them and buy the Turbo version.

Andy

Jason Kirk 13 Nov 2005
In reply to AndyH1710:

It's a bit cramped to live in even for a short ares like me.

Where do you put the puter and how do you store all your climbing and skiing gear.

Kipper 13 Nov 2005
In reply to Jason Kirk:
>
> I drove a boxster for the first time yesterday afternoon.
>
>
> Wow!
>
> Completely amazing.
>
> I've got to start selling more so I can buy one, well after a bought a house anyway.

I think it was Clarkson who once said 'All a Boxster says about you is "Look at me, I can't afford a 911"'.

Jason Kirk 13 Nov 2005
In reply to Kipper:

I can't afford a boxster either. Still a very nice car.

Clarkson is very entertaining be he also talks a load of bollocks.

I suppose that is one thing we both have in common.
 Andy Farnell 13 Nov 2005
In reply to Kipper:
> (In reply to Jason Kirk)
> [...]
>
> I think it was Clarkson who once said 'All a Boxster says about you is "Look at me, I can't afford a 911"'.

Yes it was... but has he driven a Caymen yet???

Andy F
yikes 13 Nov 2005
In reply to FredMead:
what i want to know is.... what was on that bit of paper we weren't allowed to see that shut the 2 of them up???! i wonder if we'll ever know.
 Oli 13 Nov 2005
In reply to andy farnell: A good bit of lib dem bashing as well!!!
FredMead 13 Nov 2005
In reply to yikes:
YEAH! I really want to know what that said ... If anyone knows anyone that was there ... ask them!
 Kenny 14 Nov 2005
In reply to andy farnell:
> means what he say's. PC... fcuk it.
>

Do you really think Jeremy Clarkson actually means what he says (either on paper or on television), and that he's not just playing to the gallery? If so, I think you're a little naive. He's a very astute and intelligent jester, basically, successfully keeping a lucrative career going by feeding the same old act to an established audience. It's a little sad, it's analagous to celeb columns in the tabloids (I don't read tabloids much but I saw William Hague and Ulkrika Jonsson debasing their own intelligence in News of the World by feeding soundbites to the proles, today).

I am sure he's above it all (cf Kenneth Williams doing all those Carry On films and hating the whole circus)
 Lbos 14 Nov 2005
In reply to Kenny: Its aspirational fantasy nonsense. About the same as reading Nuts. Only a f**kwit would spend £100k+ on a car.
Ian Hill 14 Nov 2005
In reply to Lbos: items of mass interest like 'which £80k car should I buy?'...hmmm let me check my small change...
 Bill 14 Nov 2005
In reply to Lbos: Or someone who has loads of dosh! If I had more money than I knoew what to do with, I would probably spend that sort of money on a car - as well as helping various charities, etc.
 doz generale 14 Nov 2005
In reply to Bill:

i have never really understood the fasination with cars. As long as they work and get you to where you want to go whats the big deal? i don't think i would ever spend loads on a car even if i was very rich.
ICE 14 Nov 2005
In reply to doz generale: Its all about ego, me, I have a little 1.2 polo, and it does everything I need a car to do. It is cheap to insure, tax and if I service it myself cheap to run.
trevor simpson 14 Nov 2005
In reply to FredMead:

Anyone read his motoring column in yesterday’s Sunday times?

He referred to a “cockometer” to tell you how much of a penis you’re being by driving a particular car.
 Harry The Owl 14 Nov 2005
In reply to FredMead: Top Gear is without doubt the single gretatest TV programme ever to have been aired. Better than Upstairs Downstairs, Roots and TOTP2. I have always known this, but now that they have combined my two loves into one by taking on climbers, lesbian sex acts live inside a 911 aside, could it get any better?
Jonny Kevlar 14 Nov 2005
My Volvo cost £500, has heated seats, can carry all manner of surfboards, skis, snowboards, kaykaks etc and can make it up the Applecross road in fresh snow (well half way). You can stuff your supercars!
 toad 14 Nov 2005
In reply to Jonny Kevlar: my volvo used to be really rubbish in snow - always surprised me for a swede!
Jonny Kevlar 14 Nov 2005
In reply to toad: I was suprised too, but I bought it with good tires on, doubt I can afford to replace those!
I'm getting snow chains so Applecross doesn't repulse me again, I want my 10 min walk in!
 hutchm 14 Nov 2005
In reply to Ian Hill:
> (In reply to Lbos) items of mass interest like 'which £80k car should I buy?'...hmmm let me check my small change...

Bit like me wanting to read about E7s then...

troll 14 Nov 2005
In reply to FredMead:

Cars are evil

Go do a personal carbon audit. All of you.

Just what do you think your great grandchildren are going to breathe exactly?

Clarkson's a tw*t. Tw*ts find him funny.
TimS 14 Nov 2005
In reply to troll:
> (In reply to FredMead)

> Just what do you think your great grandchildren are going to breathe exactly?
>
Why - did your personal audit show you were going to replace all the oxygen in the atmosphere with CO2?
 Jason Kirk 14 Nov 2005
In reply to troll:

Nice try but you have to do better than that to really Troll.
 anonymous1 14 Nov 2005
In reply to Lbos:

totally disagree. If you had the odd million in loose change you'd buy one.
FredMead 14 Nov 2005
In reply to troll:
Clarkson is a legend. I must be a tw*t.

Cars do contribute to the levels of CO2 in the atmposphere but, since the rise of CO2 has been roughly 0.08% in the last few decades (which is well within the limits of natural fluctuation), I am not going to lose any sleep about driving to the crag.

People who say global warming is completely due to the careless activities of the human race are either blinded my the media (and gullible enough to believe it). Or know something the scientists dont.
 JR 14 Nov 2005
In reply to Lbos:

hey i once got with a girl from nuts... i aint got 100K though, but if i had a spare 100K i might think about buying a performance car...

two very different things in my opinion...
 Adam Lincoln 14 Nov 2005
In reply to FredMead:

Are you the Fred that was at the cuttings on Saturday?
 The Crow 14 Nov 2005
In reply to troll:
> Go do a personal carbon audit. All of you.

> Just what do you think your great grandchildren are going to breathe exactly?

Oxygen, contrary to the hysteria there will still be enough of it around. The weather may be buggered, there may be famine, pollution may increase athsma... but nobody has proposed a lack of oxygen so far?
FredMead 14 Nov 2005
In reply to Adam Lincoln:
I was at the cuttings on saturday trying to climb! So yep! I thought, when I heared you were called "Adam" and were trying an 8a, that you were Adam Wainwright. As i have never met him I had no idea! Then James (Paz on here) told me that he thought you were Adam Lincoln. I had a look at your profile and you were.

Did you guys get Breathing Method in the end, it looked like you had all the moves... I am annoyed with Hall of Mirrors. That rock over is hard! And after that I am knackered and cant even do the moves after a rest!

Fred
 Adam Lincoln 15 Nov 2005
In reply to FredMead:

Another session is going to be needed, tricky route!
Rhoddy Stewart 15 Nov 2005
In reply to Kipper: Clarkson is a knob- there's no better 2 seat convertable on the planet.
styman 15 Nov 2005
In reply to Rhoddy Stewart: Anyone know if Top gear is repeated in the week at all.
roblo 15 Nov 2005
In reply to styman:

there ya go, tonight @ 7.00

http://tinyurl.com/e2twc
 danm 15 Nov 2005
In reply to FredMead:
> (In reply to troll)
>
>
> since the rise of CO2 has been roughly 0.08% in the last few decades (which is well within the limits of natural fluctuation),>
People who say global warming is completely due to the careless activities of the human race are either blinded my the media (and gullible enough to believe it). Or know something the scientists dont.

I thought that it was less the media and more the overwhelming weight of scientific evidence that was blinding people. I must be gullible just like them, there was me thinking that a rise from around 350 to 400 ppm of CO2 meant around a 14% rise, I guess my maths is s**t as well. I suppose if you worked for an oil company, or a car company, and didn't give a monkeys about the future, just your own selfish pursuit of the now, you might say that the proportion of CO2 in the atmosphere has risen by a mere 0.08% and hope that people didn't realise that this is only a small number because there's only a small amount of CO2 in the atmosphere anyway. Classic use of statistics to pull the wool over the eyes and get away with murder.

P.S Thanks for that, I haven't had the opportunity for a decent online rant for ages.

FredMead 15 Nov 2005
Haha, well I am gonna have to spend a bit more time of Hall of Mirrors too!

Good luck with Breathing Method.
FredMead 15 Nov 2005
In reply to danm:
I was mearly stating that 0.08% is enough to be natural fluctuation. 14%!!! Thats a load of cock! who told you that?! I asked my uncle who is a Geography professor to check my original post on the matter since he was at my house. He gave me the stats.

Hope this helps.
Fred
Kipper 15 Nov 2005
In reply to Rhoddy Stewart:
> (In reply to Kipper) Clarkson is a knob- there's no better 2 seat convertable on the planet.

Besides the S2000, MX-5, any decent sports car etc.....

Rob Naylor 16 Nov 2005
In reply to FredMead:
> (In reply to danm)
> I was mearly stating that 0.08% is enough to be natural fluctuation. 14%!!! Thats a load of cock! who told you that?! I asked my uncle who is a Geography professor to check my original post on the matter since he was at my house. He gave me the stats.

For a start, the overall increase depends on when you count from!

It may well be that *as a percentage of the total atmposhere* the amount of CO2 has only increased by 0.08% (from some specified date), but as a percentage of *the total amount of atmospheric CO2* it certainly has increased by 14% in the last, what, 50 years or so (from 310 parts per million to around 360 parts per million). And that's the important figure. So Danm is not "talking cock".

And I don't know where the 0.08% figure comes from, anyway. Figures I have for atmospheric CO2 are 0.036% of the atmosphere now, and 0.031% of the atmosphere 50 years ago. Maybe your uncle is a factor of 10 out (ie the increase figure should be 0.008%), and is quoting figures from a 1900 baseline when the figure was 290 ppm , or 0.029%, which would give an increase of 0.007% since 1900....close to your uncle's value, if he was a factor of 10 out!

Whether you argue that the increase is down to natural fluctuation or not, it's important to realise that quoting apparently small percentages, of itself, means nothing. Tripling the amount of CO2 in the atmopshere, from 360ppm to 1080ppm, would still "only" result in it making up 0.1% of the atmosphere, but that apparently tiny proportion of CO2 (as an overall percentage of the total atmposhere) would have huge consequences for life.

So no, danm is *not* talking "a load of cock" and I suggest that before you go dismissing peoples' posts in such a rude way, it would perhaps be better if you actually took the trouble to inform yourself a bit more first.
 mart rich 16 Nov 2005
In reply to Rob Naylor:
Well put Rob - good to see someone actually constructing an argument rather than dissing other peoples opinions without any justification or understanding.

Will this stop any of us actually driving to the crag, or from England to Scotland this winter? Doubt it. At least it seems to me that climbers are generally more willing than a lot of people to share lifts to do this sport, but I suspect this is mostly a cash saving exercise rather than from love for the environment!
Rhoddy Stewart 16 Nov 2005
In reply to Kipper: Nah- none of them even come close
virgil 16 Nov 2005
strange..
my friend is selling his boxter to buy an s2000 after he drove mine.
he would therefore disagree.
In reply to virgil: People do some funny things sometimes..
virgil 16 Nov 2005
you are right.
he bought one in the first place.
WildThing 16 Nov 2005
Honda S200 all the way!
And back to the original topic - was Leo on last sunday(13th) or this sunday(20th)?
Wingman@work 16 Nov 2005
In reply to WildThing:

not last sunday (13th) supposed to the 20th - but the 13th wasn't what was scheduled (a hill climb challenge) so it may be moved I guess.
TMW 16 Nov 2005
In reply to WildThing:
> Honda S200 all the way!

Mrs TMW wants to swap her MX 5 for an S2000. Great news, but I'll be choosing not to drive it for the time being as I now have 9 points..........

> And back to the original topic - was Leo on last sunday(13th) or this sunday(20th)?

This coming Sunday.

danm 16 Nov 2005
In reply to Rob Naylor: Cheers Rob, that confirms what I thought. I have to admit, those numbers I used were made up, based on a very hazy memory of a debate whilst at uni, nice to see that they were in the correct ball park. I just hate the way that statistics are used as misinformation. Vested interests often quote a suprising figure and use this to avoid real questioning by rubbishing the opposition.
In reply to virgil: Ach yes, the S2000 is a nice wee thing, really.
virgil 16 Nov 2005

having said that it might go in favour of a carrera 4s if ic can ever afford it...
Witkacy 16 Nov 2005
In reply to mart rich:

I think we should let the man himself have a say:

“Of course, there is no doubt that the world is warming up but let’s just stop and think for a moment what the consequences might be. Switzerland loses its skiing resorts? The beach in Miami is washed away? North Carolina gets knocked over by a hurricane? Anything bothering you yet? We keep being told that in just 20 years there will be no snow in the Atlas mountains, but honestly: who cares? And so what if the sea level rises by five inches? . . . It isn’t even worthy of a shrug.”
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2092-1441917,00.html

How’s that for constructing an argument? Unfortunate timing for hurricane jokes though.
DaveC at Work 16 Nov 2005
In reply to Witkacy: Of course he might change his tune when the first real hurricane rolls over the British Isles. At the current rate this could happen within the next 15 years apparently.
 mart rich 16 Nov 2005
In reply to Witkacy:
Tell you what - I'll do a car share in the porsche boxster/911 or S2000 discussed at length above. Sounds like a good (quick) way to get to the crag. Just enough room for 2 people and some gear. I suspect I'm not the right sex to qualify as a passenger however.

Does this hit the middle ground between being green and having fun on the roads?

I am still looking forward to seeing Leo Holding on top gear this weekend - where does the link with climbing come from?
Ian Straton 16 Nov 2005
In reply to mart rich: race from the bottom to the top of verdon gorge.
WildThing 17 Nov 2005
He's racing a car up a 'mountain'. Leo straight up, sports car long set of twistys. Bring it home for the climbers Leo!
 Adam Lincoln 17 Nov 2005
In reply to WildThing:

And his partner Tim Emmett dont forget

Clips of it on Breakfast News just now.
Wingman@work 17 Nov 2005
In reply to FredMead:

I suppose it's too much to hope that they'll actually spend some time on this segment and explain it to people..........
XXXX 17 Nov 2005
In reply to DaveC at Work:

According to who? What a load of absolute pap.
FredMead 17 Nov 2005
In reply to Rob Naylor:
> (In reply to FredMead)
> [...]
>
> > So no, danm is *not* talking "a load of cock" and I suggest that before you go dismissing peoples' posts in such a rude way, it would perhaps be better if you actually took the trouble to inform yourself a bit more first.

Firstly: I have emailed you my Uncles address, he is a physical geography lecturer at Loughborough Uni, is that "informed" enough for you?. He will talk to you about the figures in that ... post.

And come on! "dismissing peoples' posts in such a rude way"! Its that same as saying he was talking bollocks, which is commonly used on here!
Kipper 17 Nov 2005
> (In reply to Kipper) Nah- none of them even come close

2005 Top Gear Survey - the Top 10

(Ranking: Make - Model)

1: Honda S2000

And I believe a recent review rated the new MX-5 as the best new sports car in ANY price bracket, not just its own as usual.

Rob Naylor 17 Nov 2005
In reply to FredMead:
> (In reply to Rob Naylor)
> [...]
>
> Firstly: I have emailed you my Uncles address, he is a physical geography lecturer at Loughborough Uni, is that "informed" enough for you?. He will talk to you about the figures in that ... post.

I never sugested that your uncle wasn't "informed"...just that *you* weren't. I suggested you informed *yourself*.

The figures are there in the public domain for all to see, and danm's point....that the amount of CO2 in the atmoshere has increased by 14% or so in the last 50 years, is broadly correct. Read around a bit, read over the figures I gave and *you* tell me what's wrong with what I said.

If your uncle wants to come on here and join the debate, I'm sure he'd be welcomed, but I'm not getting into a private email discussion with him about anything....if he's got something worthwhile to say, why not say it to everyone?

> And come on! "dismissing peoples' posts in such a rude way"! Its that same as saying he was talking bollocks, which is commonly used on here!

What I meant was that before accusing someone of talking bollocks, you'd better be sure of your own facts. By all means accuse someone of talking cock if you can prove that they are, but to just jump in with a knee-jerk comment (no proof or evidence) without having taken the trouble to even understand how parts per million, proportions and percentages inter-relate *is* actually just rude.
Ian Hill 18 Nov 2005
In reply to Rob Naylor: ah, the voice of reason...nicely put

this is like 'I'll send my Dad (replace with "geography lecturer" here) round your house to do you over'...
 AlXN 20 Nov 2005
In reply to FredMead:

anyone out there tell us what route Houlding and Emmett did on TG in 1:57?
FredMead 20 Nov 2005
In reply to AlXN:
24 pitch 7a i think
FredMead 20 Nov 2005
In reply to Rob Naylor:
Firstly, my uncle would never come on here. He hates internet forums and says they are full of no life wankers or students with far too much time... u decide which u are.

U have a discussion about Global Warming on UKBOULDERING and everyone respects the points presented by someone obviously far more informed than them ... its no wonder they call this forum "cocktalk"
FredMead 20 Nov 2005
In reply to Ian Hill:
Ian, you will know Ally, talk to him about global warming. and why would i "send my dad"? You seem to think I live at home.
crago 20 Nov 2005
In reply to FredMead:
> (In reply to Rob Naylor)
> Firstly, my uncle would never come on here. He hates internet forums and says they are full of no life wankers or students with far too much time... u decide which u are.
>
Well if your uncle said it ...he must be right.

Anyway to the actual point of this topic. Well done Leo, impressive.

Rob Naylor 20 Nov 2005
In reply to FredMead:

How about actually doing some thinking for yourself, abnd debating properly, instead of making disparaging and childish remarks all the time?

If your uncle (or any other informed person) came on here and made a proper argument, I would probably respect what he said (Actually, I would find it hard to respect the views of *anyone* who dismisses a whole group of people...forum users...with such arrogant generalisations as you say your uncle does). However, when *you* come out with half-understood second-hand comments, how am I supposed to either "respect" that or believe for a moment that you're "obviously far more informed" than anyone else?

Maybe on UKBouldering they "respect" any old points that are put forward regardless of merit. I think the standard of serious debate on RT/UKC forums is very high when it *is* serious debate...much higher than most internet forums. Maybe those who dis it as "cocktalk" are a bit un-nerved by the fact that if you post crap on here, you'll be pulled up for it?

As I said before, read the posts again, do some thinking for yourself, and then tell me what I said that was so wrong. If you can do that without making personally disparaging remarks, or sounding like a petulant child, I'll certainly respect what you say (doesn't mean I'll agree with it).
Benjamin More 20 Nov 2005
In reply to Rob Naylor:

Like he said, cocktalk.
Si Borg 21 Nov 2005
In reply to Benjamin More:

No, the guys uncle sounds a right tw*t.There are people on here who are respected top climbers and also have other lives and their are many people who post a lot on here who are more modest climbers but with a huge variety of experience and knowledge and very busy outside lives too.To put them all down as no life wankers or students shows a level of arrogant narrow mindedness that any lecturer should be ashamed of.People like Gordon Stainforth and TobyA for example to mention just 2 out of a whole bunch of people on here with full lives,lots of climbing experience and something interesting to say outside climbing.

UKbouldering by contrast seems full of juvenile single issue obsessives.
In reply to FredMead:
I missed this as I was driving back from Kendal last night. But Top Gear is repeated on Tuesday night, however, I won't get back home till after 7pm when it starts. So I know how fast I need to drive, at what point in the program does Leo's section start?
Fortunately, I don't have an Audi RS4, as apparantly it isn't quick enough.
Sharket 21 Nov 2005
In reply to cantthinkofaname:

its right at the end of the program... well worth a watch..
 Ian Bentham 21 Nov 2005
In reply to cantthinkofaname:

Leo's bit starts after about 45 minutes into the programme.
trevor simpson 21 Nov 2005
In reply to FredMead:

> I asked my uncle who is a Geography professor to check my original post

When I was a young lad I was never allowed on the interweb without a responsible adult to accompany me either.

I remember the fist time I went online alone (my mum was in the other room) I was so nervous I still had butterflies in my stomach four hours later and I couldn't even eat all of my alphabetti spaghetti that mum had cooked for tea.

Good luck for when you are ready to make the big step forward.
 Dave Garnett 21 Nov 2005
In reply to FredMead:

I guess that by now you'll have had a rocket from whichever of the professors in the Geography department at Loughborough is your uncle. I don't suppose he or his department will appreciate being misquoted by you in a way that makes him look such a wally.

It's quite a good department from what I hear, and I suspect that anyone who displayed your sad grasp of basic maths wouldn't get through the interview!
In reply to Sharket & Ian Bentham:
Thanks, no need to rush then!
rich taylor 22 Nov 2005
In reply to FredMead:
good to see leo and tim spank jeremy clarkson in the verdon gorge. nice 1 boys
 Nevis-the-cat 22 Nov 2005
In reply to FredMead:

breathe and take your lithium.
John Howard 22 Nov 2005
In reply to FredMead:

It's repeated tonight 22nd Nov at 7pm if anyone is interested..
trevor simpson 22 Nov 2005
In reply to John Howard:

My cock hasn't recovered from the first showing yet
John Howard 22 Nov 2005
In reply to trevor simpson:

Hmmm, interesting, but possibly a little too much information there mate
James Jackson 22 Nov 2005
In reply to FredMead:

Just watched the repeat - He he, it's just mad!
Smythie 22 Nov 2005
In reply to trevor simpson: Bound to be some sort of humour in that - I missed it though.

err, WTF?
meany 23 Nov 2005
In reply to FredMead: Was on last Sunday.
crago 23 Nov 2005
In reply all: When Clarkson introduced Leo as 1 of the top 20 climbers of all time....agree? thats a bit of a bold statement to make, I mean whose to say he is better (or worse) then Tim (whose done some awersome stuff on rock and ice) who we only saw belaying, think of all the top climbers around...its maybe a bit of a stupid thing say.
DEvans 23 Nov 2005
In reply to crago: if you think about the other things clarckson got wrong. "no saftey rope" "1200 feet" then top 20 climbers ever doesn't mean much. i don't think he is even near the top 20 whatever that is. sure he does some great stuff but it's hardly groundbreaking stuff. i remember when he was on the wild climbs series and they said he was one of the best climbers in the world.
i think its just the media.
the only people that were listening were the climbers.
 Richard Carter 23 Nov 2005
my favorite bit was the way he got a bit of "subtle" product placement in for his sponsors !
 HC~F 23 Nov 2005
In reply to Richard Carter: I had predicted that when he was announced in the studio - I was waiting to see how many times you could see 'Berghaus' on what he was wearing! Just like that racing driver whose name I forget that was on the last series. I remember Clarkson taking the p*ss out of him but getting shot down in return.
 Adam Lincoln 24 Nov 2005
In reply to DEvans:

The stuff him and Patch have done on El Cap has been World Class!
 steve taylor 24 Nov 2005
In reply to Helen ~Taylor:

I hope Leo and Tim are now sponsored by Audi.
 hutchm 24 Nov 2005
In reply to steve taylor:

Didn't Clarkson rip them off? I'm sure they went 'double or quits'. And I'm sure he only handed over a fiver at the end...
 Adam Lincoln 24 Nov 2005
In reply to hutchm:

no he didnt
DEvans 24 Nov 2005
In reply to Adam Lincoln: as i say he has done some amazing stuff and he is a very intresting guy but i don't think he is one of the best climbers in the world.
i remember reading a list of the best 100 guitarists in the world and KURT COBAIN WAS ON IT. not that i'm comparing kurt to leo as leo can climb and kurt shouldn't be classed as a guitarist. he is maybe an important figure in rock music or a good lyricist but not guitarist. it's this sort of thing that is going to make the world come to an end.
BN 24 Nov 2005
In reply to FredMead:

fantastic looking climbing!

in the studio leo looked wired - his eyes all popping out!(meth?)

plnty sponsership on his dodgy headbands i notice.

good bit of TV and an inspiring climber.
Ham 01 Dec 2005
In reply to FredMead: Ive been looking for this as everyone down the castle keeps banging on about it, i found a link to a torrent site, file sharing thingy, if you want to download it, dont think downloading tv is illeagal so would worry too much, not tried it myself yet, will do tonight

link is http://www.finalgear.com/downloads/topgear/7/1/

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...