UKC

waterproof socks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Marts 19 Nov 2005
I'm thinking of buying some waterproof socks, I know its not a bank breaking buy but don't want to bother if they are going to do more harm than good. Should I rely completely on my boots to keep me dry or are they worth the purchase. I'm obviuosly thinking about breathability and maybe they could make my feet even wetter. What do you winter guys suggest.
Cheers,
Marts
 smithy 19 Nov 2005
In reply to Marts:

I've got some seal skinz water proof thermal socks that I use in the winter on my bike, and they are seriously the best pair of socks I was ever given for christmas!!

They do seem to be fairly breathable, and I've not had any problems with them yet, although they are stiffer than an average sock, but still, no problems with them in walking boots either, they kept my feet toasty warm!!

In reply to smithy: I've used a pair inside motorbikebike boots when its been cold and wet and they keep your feet warmer than ordinary socks. The trouble is they are quite stiff material and not very comfortable - my guess is they would be a disaster for walking in.
 IainMunro 19 Nov 2005
In reply to Marts:

Waterproof socks come across as being a bit of a con to me. I find my feet get really sweaty as it is in goretex boots (that might just be me) and as breathable as goretex is I am sceptical about its ability to cope with the huge volumes of sweat your feet produce.

The other flaw is that massive great hole in the sock. The one you put your foot into that is............

Iain
Marts 19 Nov 2005
In reply to IainMunro: sort of echoing my original post mate!
Thanks anyway!
Marts
 smithy 19 Nov 2005
In reply to IainMunro:

>The other flaw is that massive great hole in the sock. The one you put your foot into that is............

I haven't had a problem with that riding through deep(ish) snow and deep puddles, they're kind of elasticated at the top, so give a good seal.

As for the breathability, as I said before, fine when I'm on my bike, and have been alright the one time I used when out walking.

chiz 21 Nov 2005
In reply to Marts: I've used sealskinz socks for a while, I wear a thin liner sock inside as they are a bit clammy, and can be a bit cold. But I reckon they are dead good, especially with approach shoes. I usually wear them with my boots after a few days when the boot is wet through (on longer snowy/wet trudges) to keep my feet dry, and they work for me despite sweaty feet.
Only problem I've had is that they do wear through at the heel with use. but so do normal socks.
For extended use boots wont keep your feet totally dry if you cant dry them every night and retreat them. And no low ankle trail/approach shoe will be remotely waterproof (hole in top!)
Give em a go. They have their place
In reply to chiz:

Just bought some skinz a couple of weeks ago. Pretty good so far though not had a real manky wet day yet in them.

Bob 21 Nov 2005
In reply to Humphrey Jungle:

There are several "weights" to SealSkinz. The lightest are fine for fell running in during the winter months. I had a couple of runs on the fells around Wasdale Head in sleet and snow earlier this year and returned to the car with toasty warm (and dry) feet. No blisters or other complaints either.

Bob
 chiz 21 Nov 2005
In reply to Bob: didnt know there are several 'weights'.

I like them as no shoe is truly waterproof, especially approach/trail type shoes, just why they put a goretex liner in an ankle cut shoe? beats me! The goretex liners in my boots always wear through at heal and toe pretty quickly, faster than the socks, and the stitching always goes too on the liner, sealskinz sort out the problem fine for me.
I did find them a little bit cold for long winter days in cold, wet-through boots, though still had dry feet, may need huge pair over medium wool socks?
They also make gloves, as used by window cleaners! but cold also, due to the material. Feet I want dry, fingers I want warm!
 Dave Stelmach 21 Nov 2005
In reply to Marts: Morrisons bags? Trench foot?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...