UKC

Good climbing holds

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Matt 02 May 2002
I just like to thank Tim Wager for sorting me out with some holds for my new woodie. Having looked all over the place for screw-on footholds and being appalled at the price, £18/10 (nevisport), £8-£12/10 (holdz), £17/20 (R&R) he provided just what i was looking for - 1,2 & 3 hole screw-ons hand/foot-holds for less than half the price I'd seen anywhere else, and they have a really good texture as well. A great way of improving your wall for minimal cost.

Also went round to his house and got a load of bolt-ons as well, massive range of holds and sizes, try before you buy (has his own board), and I found both his counter-sunk and washered holds work fine with M8 bolts which keeps the price down even further.

Anyway, you can probably tell I'm pretty chuffed with the service, so if you want to get hold of some holds, email him on TIM@wagerholds.fsnet.co.uk (off another thread) or I have his number.

Now to get fit on my board....
phil chun 02 May 2002
In reply to Matt: I bought a load of Tim wager just before christmas for my wall aswell and he sent me extra holds for free so was really chuffed. how much are his screw on holds?? i need some
Andy Kay 02 May 2002
In reply to Matt: Is there a website with info?
OP Matt 02 May 2002
In reply to phil chun:
Give him a ring, don't know exactly as he does a load for a certain price but they are definetly less than 50p each on average. Ranging from 1 screwhold nubbins to 3 screwhold edges, crimps and smears. There are a load of different shapes as well. If you are prepared to drill them yourself (takes about 5 secs with a 5mm masonary drill) then he would probably do them even cheaper. Definetely recommended.
OP Matt 02 May 2002
In reply to Andy Kay:
I don't think he has a web site I've seen his holds at the leeds wall and centersport. Just email him or give him a ring. Or if you've got any questions about what i got off him mail me or post here. I'll be putting a picture of my wall on my profile in the next week or so.
Nick Rhodes 02 May 2002
In reply to Matt:

Are yeah, but it's quality not quantity, I'd rather pay for quality shapes.
Nick
OP Matt 02 May 2002
In reply to Nick Rhodes:
I don't see any problem with the shapes, more than enough types for me to choose from. Jugs, edges, crimps, slopers, pinches, nobules. Whats a 'quality shape', something that someones spent time making look pretty (which your paying for)? As for the screw-ons however 'quality' the shape is its still not worth paying £1 for a hold smaller than a matchbox!
Andy Kay 03 May 2002
In reply to Matt: Cheers for the info Matt - i'm looking for some really crap footholds, micro-edges really, and I've not seen anything that fits the bill. If Tim Wager does these then I will certainly invest.

I'm trying to simulate the really small footholds you get at Font and generally for stuff that will improve body tension on an overhanging rock/boards.

I'll get in touch - thanks again.

Andy
phil chun 03 May 2002
In reply to Andy Kay: The best thing is to but some 4/5mm ply cut it into small bit of varying shapes and paint it with textured maonary paint i have just made over a hundred of theese for my wall and they are excllent and really cheap
Pubs 03 May 2002
In reply to phil chun:

have you finished you're wall yet??
phil chun 03 May 2002
In reply to Pubs: Almost I have been really buisy this week so hopefully next week, I just have two pannals to paint and then i,ll invite you over for a route setting evening doohhhhh I aint got any crash matts yet either so will be trying to sort that next week aswell.
Pubs 03 May 2002
In reply to phil chun:

a bit of an incentive to stay on the wall then
phil chun 03 May 2002
In reply to Pubs: Yes you could say that as it does bloody hurt when you hit the ground!
OP Matt 03 May 2002
In reply to phil chun:
Buying the textured masonry paint, wood and your time, wouldn't be worth it in comparison to the quality shapes you can get from small screw-on resins for a decent price. When i got my board it had cut pieces of ply (not painted) but they were abit samey as it was just varying size of edges. With screw-ons there is more shape and variation to them and without a sharp edge they're not always that easy to keep your feet on.
OP Matt 03 May 2002
In reply to Andy Kay:
My main board is 40 degree overhang and no matter what handholds you have, having small footholds really improves the workout, and I'm finding these screw-ons ideal.
OP Matt 03 May 2002
In reply to phil chun:
I was thinking about mats as well, i have a double mattress and use my boulder mat as well, any ideas for cheap padding?
Pubs 03 May 2002
In reply to Matt:

ever tried a furniture factory and getting the off cuts or going down the skip, (would recomend you wash any matresses you find down a skip)
phil chun 03 May 2002
In reply to Matt: I've been told that put a matress down and then cover it in carpet as this spreads the weight of the impact so you dont go through the matt also foam from uppolstry places but i dont know of any?
phil chun 03 May 2002
In reply to Pubs: how about an old feather duvet?????
OP Matt 03 May 2002
In reply to phil chun:
I've put cardbord over the mattress, but yes i was thinking of carpet as well, landing on a mattress from a few feet you can easily hit the concrete with an elbow or similar. You seem to have been making your wall for ages, how big is it? I've knocked mine up in a few days.
phil chun 03 May 2002
In reply to Matt: The whole of garage!!! with big roof/over hang from the back. Your right though it is taking me ages as i have lots of other things going on at the moment and I have also made over four hundred holds. I havent got the best load of kit in the world either so it is harder than it sjould be!!! but hopefully wont be long now
OP Matt 03 May 2002
In reply to phil chun:
Mines the width of the garage with a 40 degree overhang 8.5' x 5' and then a box undercut section 4' deep, 3' wide, and then a less steep overhang above this, with a triangle between the 2 forming an arete type thing. I'll put a picture on my profile in a few days.
phil chun 03 May 2002
In reply to Matt: Cool let me know when its on there my wall is the width and down the sides it is 20 degress overhang 6 x 8 then a 4 x 8 roof then a 8 x 8 30 degree overhang up to the apex of the roof. I have cut out the roof joists and strengthened the roof so it goes right up. Down th sides i have some little overhangs and odd shapes but is mostly either flat or 5 deg overhanging
Jim Simpson 03 May 2002
In reply to Matt: Yes - Tim Wager's holds are excellent and v good value. For padding, see if you can find any council playgrounds that are renewing any of their equipment. If they are, then you can blag the rubber matting that's used for cushioning. It's the same stuff that's used at the Leeds Wall, retails at £40/sq m and will keep you safe even if you land on your head from a height of 15 foot. I got mine from a local playground and it would have ended up in landfill if I hadn't got it. Try the parks dept at the council.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...