UKC

Easyjet Stoves Warning

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ScottMackenzie 25 Nov 2005
Hi,

Just a word of warning - Easyjet do not allow camping stoves anymore on flights - even checking in bags. The reason? "There might be old gas residue in the stove".

Only brand new stoves, in packaging are allowed to travel.
They made me throw away a jetboil stove in the airport(used about 3 times).

Cheers,
Scott.
Just askin' 25 Nov 2005
In reply to Scott_M@c:

Much as I don't like them - go with BA. Not much moe expensive often and many fewer restrictions. And food. Lovely, airline food.

Sort of.
jay76 25 Nov 2005
In reply to Scott_M@c: They are including gas ones now as well !!!! I took my MSR gas stove away this summer and was told that its OK as long as the stove is gas and dosent smell of fuel. The chap at the air port did say that they dont normaly allow pertrol stoves on though.
In reply to jay76:

Na mate, gas stoves are bad now too. I flew from Liverpool airport.

They were so unhelpful, customer service just didn't care - it was the worst service I've ever had from easyjet. (Thats saying something)

Anyway, see ya.
Scott
 MJH 25 Nov 2005
In reply to Scott_M@c: You should right and complain (I would ask for compensation as well). It is complete b*llocks that a gas stove (with no canister) will have residual gas in it. Even petrol stoves will be fine, airlines always used to be a bit funny about liquid fuel bottles but they were OK provided they didn't stink of fuel.
 ChrisJD 25 Nov 2005
In reply to Scott_M@c:

This is what they say on their web site:

http://easyjet.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/easyjet.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_s...

GAS CYLINDERS. Deeply refrigerated flammable, non-flammable, and poisonous gases such as butane, oxygen, propane, and aqualung cylinders. Includes butane gas (eg for use with heated hair appliances) camping gas, and chef's blow torches
FLAMMABLE LIQUIDS AND SOLIDS such as lighter or heater fuels, paint, and matches (except one box of matches or one cigarette lighter as provided below).
POISONS such as insecticides, weed killers, arsenic, and cyanide.
RADIOACTIVE MATERIAL, OXIDISING MATERIALS, AND ORGANIC PEROXIDES such as bleaches and fibreglass repair kits.
FIREARMS AND EXPLOSIVES. Handguns, automatic weapons, munitions, ammunitions including blank cartridges, pistol caps, fireworks, flares, smoke canisters, and crackers. Note: As an exception, sporting/competition firearms and a maximum of 5kgs of ammunition may be carried in hold luggage with appropriate paperwork, if declared at check-in and properly boxed.
HYPODERMIC NEEDLES, unless supported by medical evidence.
INFECTIOUS SUBSTANCES such as bacteria and viruses.
CORROSIVES such as mercury, acids, alkalis, and wet-cell batteries

No mention of Stoves - you need to write a strongly worded letter!!

Suggest anyone (which includes me) checks the latest advice on web site just before they fly and prints out copy. This web site page was last updated on 18/10/2005.

Their Customer Service centre is on 0871 244 2366

But hey, am flying to Barcelona for £50 return at Xmas, so there is not too much to complain about!
 g taylor 25 Nov 2005
In reply to Scott_M@c: Thats well out of order...I'm driving to Cham next time.
 g taylor 25 Nov 2005
In reply to Scott_M@c: On a funny note...

Last year I forgot that I had a gas canister in my msr alpinecookset and they didnt even notice... Until I was on the way back and I got pulled up in Geneva...thought I was going to get "Gloved"
satori 25 Nov 2005
In reply to g taylor:
> (In reply to Scott_M@c) On a funny note...
>
> I got pulled up in Geneva...thought I was going to get "Gloved"

strange place to look for more smuggled gas canisters
 doz generale 25 Nov 2005
In reply to Just askin':

BA also give you free booze for the duration of the flight.
 Bella 25 Nov 2005
In reply to Scott_M@c: If it was from Liverpool, I don't think it's just easyjet, I think it's Liverpool airport staff. A guy checking his ruck sack in just before me had his gas stove confiscated, and friends have had their Trangia also taken off them. Write to Liverpool airport - they seem to not allow stuff through that other airports do, and the staff do not listen to reasoned explanations of there being no gas etc in the stoves. Obviously one of their managers has told them not to allow any stoves through.
 Alun 25 Nov 2005
In reply to Scott_M@c:

Scott - you need to complain in the strongest possible terms. The staff at the airport did not know what they are talking about - next time I would suggest taking a copy of the terms and conditions where it doesn't mention stoves whatsoever. Perhaps it might be worth calling their customer service centre just to double check.

I have carried a petrol MSR stove with easyjet several times in the past and never had any problems.

Thanks for the warning though - I'll be better prepared next time in case I get a nasty shock.
 doz generale 25 Nov 2005
In reply to satori:

a friend of mine got "gloved" leaving the uk to go to spain as they found MOD ration packs in his hand luggage.
 KeithW 25 Nov 2005
In reply to Scott_M@c:

Also worth mentioning - don't put your headtorch next to the fuel cannister in your rucksack. The X-ray shows an opaque cylinder with wires & a battery attached.

For some reason, this makes security very very nervous.
 sutty 25 Nov 2005
In reply to Scott_M@c:

Contact them on here and point them at this thread so they can give some explanation why they took your stove.

http://www.liverpoolairport.com/page.php?p=7

If you go to the prohibited goods list there is no mention of stoves.
In reply to Scott_M@c:

Hmmm...look out for used stoves on sale at markets in Liverpool area, then...

They are taking the piss.

I bet you can buy butane lighters in departure. You can usually find swiss army knives.
 Chris Fryer 25 Nov 2005
In reply to KeithW:
> (In reply to Scott_M@c)
>
> Also worth mentioning - don't put your headtorch next to the fuel cannister in your rucksack. The X-ray shows an opaque cylinder with wires & a battery attached.
>
Also, dont put a headtorch next to any saussicon you are bringing home, makes them jumpy too.
 Lbos 25 Nov 2005
In reply to doz generale:
>
> BA also give you free booze for the duration of the flight.

I thought that was scheduled flights only?
 Mark Stevenson 25 Nov 2005
In reply to Scott_M@c: This is getting ridiculous!

Most stoves will strip down to some degree so it might be worth doing that just in case. The chances of someone getting concerned about some random bits of metal in amongst climbing gear is hopefully even lower.
In reply to All:

Hi, just called easyjet and here's an update:

The guy said it says the rules on the website regarding stoves. I asked him to show me where as I had the page infront of me right now, and it doesn't say so. He looked and in the end he realised its not on the website. I asked him what the official policy was on taking camping stoves on Easyjet flights, and he said read the website below:

"GAS CYLINDERS. Deeply refrigerated flammable, non-flammable, and poisonous gases such as butane, oxygen, propane, and aqualung cylinders. Includes butane gas (eg for use with heated hair appliances) camping gas, and chef's blow torches"

Confused I asked what that has to do with the stove itself. He replied that what the above actually means, is that anything that has ever used gas is not allowed to fly. I asked him why my friend flew to Geneva from Amsterdam with a stove the same day (on easyjet). The person on the phone said he was 'lucky'. He then spoke to a manager, who confirmed their policy as above, but with the extra (unwritten) bit about anything that ever used gas can't travel either.

They said I should write a letter. They also said I would not get any compensation. Finally, (classic) the guy said after packing you bags before travelling with easyjet, its best to phone up to confim everything you are taking will be allowed to travel.

I'm going to write, and they are going to reply with their 'official policy' on this issue.

Don't know what else to do?

Scott.
 Trangia 28 Nov 2005
In reply to Scott_M@c:
>> Only brand new stoves, in packaging are allowed to travel.
>

Maybe they have got a deal going with the suppliers?

If other airlines adopted this policy it could really b*gger up and add to the costs of trips abroad.
 sutty 28 Nov 2005
In reply to Scott_M@c:

Contact watchdog, or your local trading standards officer.
 ChrisJD 28 Nov 2005
In reply to Scott_M@c:

Isn't this somethng the BMC could get involved with?

I'm sure a letter from say, Chris Bonnigton, would wake up Easy Jet.

Or threaten to tell WatchDog - they would love it.
 Sean_J 28 Nov 2005
In reply to Trangia: So the answer is to keep the original packing for your stove I guess? Or bundle the stove in amongst all your climbing hardware to camouflage it from the x-ray machine
 ChrisJD 28 Nov 2005
Just emailed

Ian Hey @ BMC
(Technical, Safety, Training and International)

To see if BMC can help......

paul george 28 Nov 2005
In reply to Scott_M@c:
You could probably post your stove ahead if you didn't need it for a few days before. Probably less chance it'll get stopped and it'll still go by air.

Paul
In reply to ChrisJD:

Might be worth emailing the Ramblers Association too. They represent a lot of people, and can be quite militant if they agree with the cause.
 ChrisJD 28 Nov 2005
In reply to Alison Stockwell:

> Might be worth emailing the Ramblers Association too.

Good idea !

Have just done it (ramblers@london.ramblers.org.uk).
 nacnud 28 Nov 2005
In reply to Scott_M@c: Do they allow deodorant etc? Those are sometimes pressurised with butane.
Sperm 28 Nov 2005
In reply to Scott_M@c:

Dear Scott M@c,

I had my Trangia burner confiscated at Luton by Sleazy Jet. They claimed the x ray machine detected it from its the odour. I also had a Sigg bottle confiscated that had contained Meths too. They would not even let me wash them out with water they were having none of it. The people behind us were quite entertained though when all the climbing paraphanalia came out that was so carefully packed ( Tardis style ).
On a plus note. I picked up a great MRS for 30 quid in Cham.

Boomshanka.
jay76 28 Nov 2005
In reply to Sperm: Did you manage to bring it back though ?
 Wingnut 28 Nov 2005
In reply to Scott_M@c:
Wonder what the threshold level for "old gas residue" is?

There must *be* a threshold level . . . otherwise they'd be requiring anyone with a gas cooker at home to chuck all their clothes and shave their head before boarding the aircraft due to minute traces of gas in hair and clothing . . . the same sort of traces you'd get on a metal tube with a tap on, which is basically what a camping stove is?
 MJH 28 Nov 2005
In reply to Scott_M@c: They are basically taking the p*ss and showing complete ignorance. Write a letter of complaint emphasising the ridiculous policy (presumably they will ban immediately butane lighters), emphasise the financial cost to you, send a copy of their rules (and mention lack of rule on stoves), say that other airlines are quite happy to "let stoves fly". Oh and send copies to the Chrief Exec and/or Stelios.
Sperm 28 Nov 2005
In reply to jay76:

No problem, sorry I forgot to mention that. They were fine at Geneva.
I think the problem at Luton was because I had outsize baggage it went through that system and got picked up there. Geneva are much more layed back and sent it through the normal baggage.
I have to say though in Sleazy Jets defense they were very good with excess baggag. I managed to con them with my gear being sporting equipment and they didn't charge me.
Again Geneva didn't bat an eyelid.

Boomshanka.

In reply to Sperm:

> They claimed the x ray machine detected it from its the odour

More bullsh*t. The X-ray machine can't detect odour. They may have other detectors (Mass spectrometer, Gas Chromatograph) that will detect volotile or epxlosive organics.

Time to consult the CAA, I think, as this is clearly down to them to sort out.

So, you're not allowed to take a Trangia stove that has some remains of alcohol in it, but you're allowed to take 1l of spirits in a glass bottle.

This brainless, jobsworth sh*t really pisses me off.
In reply to captain paranoia:

<apologies for rage-induced typos>

volatile
explosive
 earlsdonwhu 28 Nov 2005
In reply to Scott_M@c: Has anyone had problems on other airlines or is it just Easyjet?

If the dangers are really so great it would be logical for all airlines to invoke the same regulations. Of course the amount of flammable material in a stove is pretty huge compared to the amounts of alcohol/ cosmetics and 1000's of litres of fuel!
 net 01 Dec 2005
In reply to earlsdonhammer: Ryan Air staff at Stanstead were quite picky about whether there were stoves in our sacks when a group of us flew to Venice Treviso to go to the Dolomites at the end of August. However, their actual checking was quite sporadic, and they didn't see any stoves in the bags.

I know of people who have been asked if they were carrying stoves by Ryan Air staff, have answered 'yes' and been forced to dispose of stoves/take them back to their cars. However, denial of all knowledge of the things seems to keep them happy.
 Jiffy 01 Dec 2005
In reply to Scott_M@c:

So, best answer seems to be to strip down stoves into as many bits as possible and distribute them around your luggage?
 Max factor 01 Dec 2005
In reply to Scott_M@c:

I'm prepared to write Easyjet or Liv Airport a letter and complain. No reason why a gas burner like the MSR pocket rocket should be prohibited. Can you post contact details on here? Maybe if enough of us kick up a fuss they'll start to listen.
Anonymous 01 Dec 2005
In reply to Scott_M@c:
Another pennies worth. BA refused to fly my MSR fuel bootle even though it had been washed out. They let me take the stove though.....indicating more inconsistancy. They wouldn't even let me take the pump unit out and carry it on my person. I posted it home, but it never arrived. With no proof of posting, no refund from the post office.

I have subsequently taken a gas burner without problem.

Please keep thread updated. Hope the BMC can help, also could try stove manufactures, to help increase pressure.
 ChrisJD 01 Dec 2005
In reply to Anonymous:

Not heard a thing back from BMC or Ramblers....
 JDDD 01 Dec 2005
In reply to g taylor:
> (In reply to Scott_M@c) Thats well out of order...I'm driving to Cham next time.

Blimey - you could probably fly first class with the airline of your choice for the same money!
Diogenes 03 Dec 2005
In reply to Anonymous:

>Hope the BMC can help, also could try stove manufactures, to help increase >pressure.

This is particulary important at altitude... (sorry couldn't resist that)

When B.Cal used to do the Hadj flights out of Kano a few years back they had problems with some of the more rustic passengers getting a brew on in the aisle mid flight... and in those days you could still get a drink and something to eat on a flight. (BTW I don't think anyone got burned or any aircraft exploded.)

The problem here is that we have now burgeoning mediocracy who have no wit or intelligence and do everything by the health and safety book; they have not been brought up to either think for themselves or depend on their own resources or given the ability of discretion or any critical faculties. I wouldn't patronise the morons or their cheapskate profiteering employers [and as for the unspeakable paranoia promoting totalitarian government that made them so dependant and controls them so skillfully with scaremongering - don't ask...]

I only travel overland (or on the sea) these days unless I can get a lift in a dodgy old soviet helicopter.

Just vote with you feet... (and enjoy the journey - it's the major part of travel) If you don't have time or money then wait 'till you do...

The price of instant gratification often turns out to be a lack of satisfaction.

matt25 03 Dec 2005
In reply to Jon Dittman:
Driving ain't that bad if theres a couple of you in the car and you're careful which ferries you use. I always drive to the continent if it's at all feasible. If you're camping you can take all sorts of guff like chairs and porta-fridges with you and once you're there you have transport. I even drove to Slovenia last year. And you don't have to put up with all the interminable bollox you get at airports.
And the best thing: ROAD TRIPS RULE!
Matt
Mr Rain 06 Dec 2005
In reply to Scott_M@c:

Good grief, now stoves arent allowed on easyjet flights!

Mother of ..... what is going on in this bloody world!
ICE 06 Dec 2005
In reply to Mr Rain: <Please note that passengers may only carry one box of matches or one cigarette lighter. These must be carried in cabin baggage only and are not permitted in hold baggage.> quote from their website, I would insist that the items taken are held securly for my return anything else is theft in my book, time for a a bouycot of easyjet?
Rigid Raider 06 Dec 2005
In reply to Scott_M@c:

This looks like taking over from that other old "let your bike tyres down" bollocks. Another myth perpetuated by stupid jobsworths who don't understand the simple physics of flying.
bobg 06 Dec 2005
In reply to Mr Rain:
Oh for the good old days. Remember going ski-ing to Romania a good while ago and the in flight meals, tea and coffee was served from a trolley with an open flame burner would you believe.
ICE 06 Dec 2005
In reply to Diogenes: I used to take the coach to cham, but the last time was a nightmare, it went via the chunnel, we hadn't eaten in anticipation of a meal on the ferry, we were then aghast to find we were going throught the chunnel with no way of getting food. Added to that misery was the stench from the other passengers, one fella was eating some stinking fish patty behind us and the stench was awful, the irony is that the bus is more expensive than the plane. So looks like I'll be driving in future.
potted shrimp 06 Dec 2005
In reply to ICE: welcome to the club..
 Liam M 06 Dec 2005
In reply to Wingnut:
> Wonder what the threshold level for "old gas residue" is?
>
> There must *be* a threshold level . . . otherwise they'd be requiring anyone with a gas cooker at home to chuck all their clothes and shave their head before boarding the aircraft due to minute traces of gas in hair and clothing . . . the same sort of traces you'd get on a metal tube with a tap on, which is basically what a camping stove is?

Maybe you've hit upon something there - just freak them out. When they talk about nothing which has gas residue (?) say you cooked whilst wearing the clothes you now have on and start to strip (you can't take them onboard)! And make sure you've have a certificate proving you're had colonic irrigation minutes before arriving - after all we don't want to take large sources of methane on board with us do we!
ruarigh 06 Dec 2005
In reply to Scott_M@c: There is more gas residue in a fart (let alone a ciggy lighter, which is allowed) so are they going to stop carrying humans.
 cmgcmg 09 Dec 2005
In reply to Scott_M@c:
I thought I would test this out so I wrote to their customer services and asked them what the policy was on stoves and suggested that I would use another carrier if this was the case... looks like I will be flying jet2 again reply below

Thank you for your e-mail.

Unfortunately due to safety policies you will not be allowed to travel with your used gas stoves. I am sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.

Just to advise you for quick reference, further details on our baggage policy can be found in Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's) in the 'contact us' section of easyJet.com. Or you can click on the link below.

http://easyjet.co.uk/EN/Book/regulations.html#baggage

Thanks again for contacting us. If you need any further help, please contact us again either by calling 0871 244 2366 (calls cost 10p per minute; calls from mobile and other networks may cost more) or sending us an e-mail via the contact us section on easyJet.com.

Yours sincerely

easyJet Customer Services Team
In reply to cmgcmg:

I think it's time to report this to the CAA. It's an utterly ridiculous policy in my view, given that you are allowed to carry pressurised aerosol 'personal care products', according to FAA regulations (and it's really the FAA who determine world flying regulations).

http://www.tsa.gov/public/interweb/assetlibrary/Permitted_Prohibited_9_6_20...

And you can take gas-powered hair-dryers and gas lighters, according to the CAA:

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/3/PAS_travelsafely.pdf
http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?categoryid=33&pagetype=65&app...

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like the CAA have any electronic contacts... And since they seem to be responsible for the daft rules about not carrying viscious-looking bits of sharpened mango, I don't suppose they'd take too much notice...
 earlsdonwhu 09 Dec 2005
In reply to cmgcmg: I am none the wiser really having looked at the link. they refer to gas canisters and flammable liquids but no mentions is made of the actual stove being any hazard which WE all agree is absolute bollox
 ChrisJD 09 Dec 2005

Have just emailed the BMC AGAIN to see if they can help....
In reply to ChrisJD:

I can only suspect that their justification is that they don't consider that their staff have the necessary nous to distinguish between stoves that have gas canisters attached, and those that don't. So they have simply instituted a blind, blanket, moron-proof ban.
 astrecks 09 Dec 2005
In reply to Bella:

Expect a flood of camping stoves on fleabay, from the 'puddlian area

Jeff.
Doughboy 11 Dec 2005
In reply to Scott_M@c:
> (In reply to All)
> Finally, (classic) the guy said after packing you bags >before travelling with easyjet, its best to phone up to >confim everything you are taking will be allowed to >travel.

So what they're effectively saying is that you should compile a big ass spreadsheet of everything you have in your pack and then ask them about each individual item...

1 x yellow underwear with elastic sides, yes or no?
1 x blue underwear with elastic sides, yes or no?
1 x Nike airmax running shoe for left foot, yes or no?
1 x Nike airmax running shoe for right foot, yes or no?

Ahhh, the joy you could have!

ICE 12 Dec 2005
In reply to Doughboy: Indeed, skidmarks, yes or no?
In reply to Doughboy:

> Ahhh, the joy you could have!

I did think about an annoyance campaign against EasyJet on just this basis. But, since you'd be lining Stelios' pockets to the tune of 10p/minute, maybe not such a good idea.

Better idea is to do it at the check-in. Unpack everything, and get them to approve each item individually, citing this email as requirement for this to be done...
 gil 12 Dec 2005
In reply to Scott_M@c: would they not let you post it back home??
 Si 21 Dec 2005
I travelled with easyjet twice last year carrying gear including a stove (though no canisters) and climbing gear - I blagged the climbing gear as sports gear first time round as I was way over weight limits. The other times they didn't say anything so neither did I!

maybe just lucky...

S
Monte Rosa 22 Dec 2005
In reply to Si:
There is a notice at check in now which lists gas stoves as prohibited items, but we just hid it with the climbing gear and was OK last week.

Mind you one member of our group had a .375 rifle and 5 KGS of ammunition, so I would have felt it slightly unfair if my pocket rocket was confiscated!
 ericoides 22 Dec 2005
In reply to Sperm: I had my Trangia burner confiscated at Luton by Sleazy Jet.

I had my trangia burner confiscated at stanstead by ryanair

At the time, I was impressed at how observant the x-ray analyst was, although I now realise that he must have seen a fair few.

Earlier, just before I entered the airport terminal, I had emptied what little meths remained in the burner. When the guy confiscated it, he said there were traces of meths in it and there was no question of my taking it on the plane; I offered to pour it outside in the same place. He said I'd be arrested under a recently introduced law. But as someone pointed out above, it's brandy.
 kevin stephens 22 Dec 2005
In reply to ericoides:

sounds like the best solution is to pop into decathlon on arrival and buy a cheap throw away gas stove
 Enty 22 Dec 2005
I flew from Nimes to Liverpool yesterday,
I was sensible about what I checked in and didn't take the pi$$ with my hand luggage.
The plane is just like a glorified bus.
The rest of the passengers were typical knobs pushing to the front and moaning about customer care etc
The food and drink on board was extortionate
yet the experience as a whole was great because it cost me less than a fiver!

The Ent
 whispering nic 23 Dec 2005
In reply to Scott_M@c:
Frankfurt Hahn wouldn't let me take ny rope bag (with rope but nothing else) on as hand luggage. Then I got really annoyed and they put it in the hold, but only after heated debate!
 ericoides 23 Dec 2005
In reply to kevin stephens:

what and where is decathlon?
 kevin stephens 23 Dec 2005
In reply to ericoides:

ubiquitous chain of sports/camping/climbing supermarkets spread across Spain, France etc
 Tamlyn 23 Dec 2005
In reply to Scott_M@c:

Luckily yet to have stove confuscated - took MSR via Stanstead to Italy in the summer on sleazyjet, went through oversized baggage and no probs, but do always lose my nail scissors...

Seems stupidly moronic, perhaps take it in hand luggage and when questioned say it's a cigarette lighter, then demonstrate?

If we pick a specific person to email and post up a standard response, that might start to piss them off when 100's of the same flood in! Mail it round everyone we know.
 Andy Manthorpe 05 Jan 2006
http://wings.interfree.it/html/fuzzy.html

http://wings.interfree.it/html/perry.html

Here are two improvised soft drink can alcohol burners to try if you get your stove confiscated.

I've tried the first design which boiled 400 ml of rather cold tapwater in about 7.5 minutes and burnt for about 18 minutes with 25mm of meths in the base at ignition.

Caralynh 05 Jan 2006
In reply to Scott_M@c:

Flew Easyjet Luton-Madrid return over New Year. I put the stove in a bag with my rack in the hold baggage, and it wasn't picked up amongst all the other metalware
 Trangia 05 Jan 2006
In reply to Caralynr:
>
> I put the stove in a bag with my rack in the hold baggage, and it wasn't picked up amongst all the other metalware

You mean amongst the scattered wreckage?

Caralynh 05 Jan 2006
In reply to Trangia:
Yeah, sthg like that! Although I did have most stuff like nuts,hexes and screws in a separate stuffsack. Looked like scattered wreckage at times though (especially on the retreat from a mountain route in horrendous weather, where things were clipped wherever they would fit in a hurry - ended up having screws clipped to hexes, rucksack straps used as gear loops, and general mayhem - very funny de-tangling it all when we got down!)
 SebCa 05 Jan 2006
In reply to Scott_M@c: Have the BMC / Ramb Assoc / FAA / CAA / Liv Airport got back to anyone yet?
 Jiffy 06 Jan 2006
In reply to Scott_M@c:

Just another question. Is it only "used" gas stoves that are not allowed? How are they detecting stoves? Is it a chemical sniffer or is it x-rays?
 JDDD 06 Jan 2006
In reply to all: I think we need to take a united stand here.

Write a letter of complain here

http://easyjet.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/easyjet.cfg/php/enduser/cfc.php?form=GF...

And specifically ask them the reasoning for the decision they have taken. Point out that lots of climbers use Easyjet and this could be bad publicity.
 JDDD 06 Jan 2006
In reply to Jon Dittman: PS Make sure you leave a name and contact details otherwise your complaint will not be taken seriously.

Just doing it myself now.
 JDDD 06 Jan 2006
In reply to Jon Dittman: I guess the alternative would be to ring them up before each flight and go through your entire kit list with them!
 MJH 06 Jan 2006
In reply to Jon Dittman: I have sent my complaint in.
 L.A. 07 Jan 2006
In reply to MJH: Lets get those complaints in to them if you care about this!!!
http://easyjet.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/easyjet.cfg/php/enduser/cfc.php?form=GF...
 MJH 08 Jan 2006
In reply to Jon Dittman: Well here is their helpful response:

"We are sorry to hear that you are disappointed with our policy on gas camping stoves.

Please be advised that this policy was made with regards the safety of all our passengers who needs must come first.

For more information about this, please click on the following link
http://www.easyjet.com/EN/Book/regulations.html#baggage"

What a load of nonsense.
 Allan Thomson 08 Jan 2006
In reply to Bella: The staff @ Liverpool are OTT. I went to get my domestic flight from Liverpool to the Isle of Man, after a hospital trip, and they confiscated a keyring LED torch off me!!!
 SebCa 08 Jan 2006
In reply to Allan Thomson: i flew liverpool to london just before christmas with work and i have a leatherman micra on my keys, forgot all about it, and got there and back no problems! surly this would do a little more damage than a stove with no gas!
In reply to Doughboy:
> [...]
>
> So what they're effectively saying is that you should compile a big ass spreadsheet of everything you have in your pack and then ask them about each individual item...
>
> 1 x yellow underwear with elastic sides, yes or no?
> 1 x blue underwear with elastic sides, yes or no?
> 1 x Nike airmax running shoe for left foot, yes or no?
> 1 x Nike airmax running shoe for right foot, yes or no?
>
> Ahhh, the joy you could have!
>
>

Dear Doughboy

After recieving your list, We have given some consideration to the items you may carry.

The Yellow underwear must under no account be taken on the plane. This is because you may make an offensive weapon from the elastic. Alternatively should you choose to hijack the plane, you may decide to fashion a blindfold for the hostess out of it.

Blue underwear may be ok, under certain circumstances. We have considered the broken elastic, and the amount of holes in yours, and have decided in view of these features, there is little risk of you being able to use your Blue underwear in such an aggressive fashion.

Nike Airmax trainers are certainly not allowed, as they contain air under preassure in them. At altitude they could swell up and cause a on the plane explosion. Trainers containing gel are also banned, as our staff may confuse it for shoes packed with semtex.

If you have any more enquiries, please call us on our £5 per minute helpline. Any other letters you send will result in a £50 charge to cover the materials used to reply to it, and the staffs wages.

Yours sincerely

K. Nob
Managing Director
Sleazy Jet

In reply to captain paranoia: Just do it from work. If you work for Sleazy Jet, then even better!!!
wdxb 09 Jan 2006
> (In reply to cmgcmg)
>
> Unfortunately, it doesn't look like the CAA have any electronic contacts... And since they seem to be responsible for the daft rules about not carrying viscious-looking bits of sharpened mango, I don't suppose they'd take too much notice...

Could try

Contact details for the Dangerous Goods Office:

Dangerous Goods Office
Civil Aviation Authority
Safety Regulation Group
1W, Aviation House
London Gatwick Airport South
West Sussex, RH6 0YR

Telephone: 01293 573800

Fax: 01293 573991

e-mail: dgo@srg.caa.co.uk
pete_celf 09 Jan 2006
In reply to Scott_M@c: Had a new MSR petrol stove confiscated in San Fransicso - the old petrol residue argument (i was allowed to keep the (empty) but used (to carry Colemans fuel)fuel bottle though. I got the distinct impression that had i kept the original packaging i might have got away with it. And easyjet won't allow a rope as hand luggage - i guess that with a 60m rope you could strangle about 60 people simultaneously ?
 fatrascal 09 Jan 2006
In reply to pete_celf:

I flew Blackpool-Stansted-Salzburg last year with Ryanair.

I took a rope in hand baggage between Blackpool & Stansted no problems but they made me check it in at Stansted - seems the security people have different sets of 'rules' depending which airport you fly through.!!

In reply to fatrascal:

Yeah this is true they do - Liverpool security operate totally different from like Luton etc. Within Europe as well (Geneva/Amsterdam) despite being Easyjet as well there are none of these issues with stoves.
 sutty 09 Jan 2006
In reply to Scott_M@c:

This carrying gear at different airports is daft, we NEED the CAA to give us a definitive list of what can and cannot be carried on a plane. I am sure that the people at Liverpool are scallys taking stuff and selling it on. Maybe email the company suggesting that and see what sort of reply they give, more than a proforma reply I am sure.

Wonder if Watchdog would be interested.

mypyrex 09 Jan 2006
In reply to Scott_M@c: Just sent the following to Easyjet:

I understand that there is some controversy concerning the carriage of (empty) camping stoves - ie stoves MINUS fuel - on board Easyjet aircraft.

I frequently travel to the continent on walking and climbing trips and a stove is an essential item of equipment for me and many others.

Since stoves are not specifically listed as a prohibited item would you please clarify the situation.

Thank you.
wdxb 09 Jan 2006
In reply to All:

Just had a reply from the CAA

I would like to confirm that passengers can only take camping stoves in their checked luggage if the stove has either never been used (and therefore has not contained any fuel) or if the stove has been completely purged of all traces of fuel. A method has been developed by the International Air Transport Association (IATA) to purge the stoves, of which I have attached a copy.

Please be aware, however, that camping stoves can only be carried with the approval of the operator. It is the prerogative of the airlines to decline the carriage of any item in passenger's baggage and I'm afraid that the CAA are unable to intervene on their procedures.

I hope this helps to solve your query for you.

Regards

Operations Support Officer
Dangerous Goods Office

You can find a copy of the attached document at http://www.wayneenis.net/campingstove.pdf
 Dave80 09 Jan 2006
In reply to wdxb: Interesting reading! Maybe we should all carry a copy of that with us when we check in and actually follow their guidlines when packing.

I wonder what SleazyJet would say to that...
Mike D 09 Jan 2006
In reply to Dave80:

I have just returned from the dolomites and had an omni fuel stove in my luggage with no problems. I was flying with easyjet from east-midlands to venice marco-polo.

JDDD 09 Jan 2006
I wrote a baggage FAQ based on these forums and my own experiences at airports.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=165

I conceed that the bit about stoves is out of date. I have informed Mick about this.
 L.A. 09 Jan 2006
In reply to Jon Dittman:
According to the reply I got today it now seems you can take them Heres the response I got from Easyjet today- Wish theyd make their minds up

Subject: easyJet Customer Services - E1091263/AL
Date: 9 Jan 2006 18:04:38 GMT
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Thank you for your email.

I can confirm that passengers are allowed to carry camping stoves in
their hold luggage as long as fuel cells are not attached and these items
are securely packed. Please refer to our Carrier’s Regulations for
more information regarding the forbidden substances / items:
http://www.easyjet.com/EN/Book/regulations.html#baggage.

Please note, however, that the airport check-in / security staff may
request you to produce this item for inspection should there be any
safety concerns. If your stove has been used before and the fuel traces have
not been adequately removed you might be requested to remove this item
from your luggage. However, this is likely to affect very few of our
passengers.

Thank you for taking the time to contact us, If you require
any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us again,
either by phone on 0871 244 2366 (calls cost 10p per minute; calls from
mobiles and other networks may cost more) or via the contact us section
of the easyJet web site. We look forward to welcoming you on board in
the future.

Yours sincerely

Artis Lismanis

Return-Path: customer.services@easyjet.com
Message-ID:
<S217124RGEW017wRMZD000061d1@S217124RGEV001.europe.EASYJET.LOCAL>
X-OriginalArrivalTime: 09 Jan 2006 18:04:38.0651 (UTC)
FILETIME=[281D54B0:01C61547]
Date: 9 Jan 2006 18:04:38 +0000

sutty 09 Jan 2006
In reply to L.A.:

Everyone should print that out and carry a copy in future.
 kevin stephens 09 Jan 2006
In reply to Scott_M@c:

Why not just pick up a cheap 6 Euro gas stove from supermarket when you get there?

Small price to pay in relation to the benefits of budget airlines
 holly 09 Jan 2006
In reply to Scott_M@c:

i took fire juggling clubs and poi stored in a bag of parrafin (not sealed properly though) last week, they either didnt notice or didnt mind
 mypyrex 10 Jan 2006
In reply to Scott_M@c: Just had this from Easyjet:

Dear Mr *****

Thank you for your e-mail. I am pleased to hear that you're planning to fly with us soon.

This is to advise that you will be able to bring your camoing stove as long as your stove does not contain any flammables or compressed gasses.

Each passenger has a free allowance of one piece of checked in baggage up to 20kgs. Excess baggage fees are charged at the Airport at £5.00 per kilo.

The maximum baggage allowance per passenger is 50kgs; including any excess and for safety reasons no single item can weigh more than 32kgs. Excess baggage is carried subject to space availability on the aircraft.

Just to advise you for quick reference, further details on our baggage policy can be found in Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's) in the 'contact us' section of easyJet.com. Or you can click on the link below.

http://www.easyjet.com/EN/Book/regulations.html#baggage

Thanks again for contacting us Mr *****. If you need any further help, please contact us again either by calling 0871 244 2366 (calls cost 10p per minute; calls from mobile and other networks may cost more) or sending us an e-mail via the contact us section on easyJet.com.

Yours sincerely

Electra Koutina
In reply to mypyrex:

WHAT THE FU*K?????????????????????????

And I thought I was having a bad day already.
In reply to mypyrex:

How did you contact them? It clearly just shows that the don't have a CLUE what is going on in their airports.

I just wish they'd get their act together...

Scott.
 mypyrex 10 Jan 2006
In reply to Scott_M@c: Via the e-mail link on their website
In reply to Scott_M@c:

> It clearly just shows that the don't have a CLUE what is going on in their airports

Either that, or our repeated questioning of this policy has encouraged them to review it to a more sensible approach.

I note that the IATA guidelines posted above give the following guidance:

<quote>
2.3.2.5 Camping Stoves and Fuel Containers that have Contained a Flammable Liquid Fuel

Operator Variations: LX-04, MA-05, PR_03, SN-01, SV-11

With the approval of the operator, as checked baggage only, camping stoves and fuel containers for camping stoves that have contained a flammable liquid fuel may be carried provided the fuel tank of the camping stove, and/or fuel container has been completely drained of all liquid fuel and action has been taken to nullify the danger. To nullify the danger, the empty fuel tank and/or container must be allowed to drain for at least one hour, the fuel tank and/or container must then be left uncapped for a minimum of 6 hours to allow any residual fuel to evaporate. Alternative methods, such as adding cooking oil to the fuel tank and/or container to elevate the flash point of any residual liquid above the flash point of flammable liquid and then emptying the fuel tank and/or container, are equally acceptable. The fuel tank and/or container must then be wrapped in an absorbent material such as paper towel and placed in a polythene or equivalent bag. The top of the bag must then be sealed or gathered and closed with an elastic band or twine.

Note:
Provided the above cleaning method is followed in accordance with these regulations, the fuel stove or container can be classified as non-hazardous. However to control the carriage of these items, they are listed in Table 2.3.A Provisions for Dangerous Goods Carried by Passengers of Crew.
</quote>

Note that this makes no mention of gas stoves at all, IATA clearly recognising that gas residues will last as long in the stove as a fart...
 silhouette 11 Jan 2006
In reply to all: I emailed the Ramblers Association and received this reply which seems reasonable so maybe best not to keep emailing them:
"

We have been previously asked to act on this. However, our main area of expertise caters for day walkers rather than overnight camping. Please try an organisation like the Camping and Caravanning Club, as this would probably lend a more authoritative air to the statement.

All the best for your campaign,

Chris Wingrove
RA Admin
"
 Doug 11 Jan 2006
In reply to silhouette: sounds a bizarre response, I susoect the Scottish branch might reply differently as they do have members who walk & camp. How many caravan owners fly with their caravan stoves ? & the camping element of that club tend to huge tents & carring everything including a kitchen sink with them so I doubt they fly much either when headed for their holidays in the sun.

Does the Backpackers Association still exist ?
 Martin W 11 Jan 2006
In reply to captain paranoia: Note that the advice you quote only applies to flammable liquid fuel stoves, not gas. It could be that, in the apparent absence of guidance from IATA about gas stoves, airlines and airport security are adopting a more stringent policy for gas stoves (thereby suggesting that they have the intellectual capacity of a snail).
In reply to Martin W:

> Note that the advice you quote only applies to flammable liquid fuel stoves, not gas

Yes, I did note that:

> Note that this makes no mention of gas stoves at all, IATA clearly recognising that gas residues will last as long in the stove as a fart...

I'm with you on the snail IQ thing, though...
SI A 11 Jan 2006
In reply to Scott_M@c:

surely you just stick them in the hold and dont tell anyone.
In reply to SI A:

I did, but the bag was scanned in oversize baggage and the guy picked it out
 silhouette 24 Jan 2006
In reply to: this from Easyjet:-

Thank you for your email dated 10 January 2006.

Whilst I take on board everything you say, having had some experience of this type of stove myself, I am afraid we will only accept a brand new burner unit because there may still be traces of gas in a used one. I did make some enquiries on your behalf and this is the answer I am afraid. As you say it is very unlikely that there will be any traces of gas as the unit is open to the atmosphere but I am afraid we cannot take any chances.

Yours sincerely

Roz Peel
 L.A. 24 Jan 2006
In reply to silhouette: Good to see they dont agree with each other...
Subject: easyJet Customer Services - E1091263/AL
Date: 9 Jan 2006 18:04:38 GMT
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Thank you for your email.

I can confirm that passengers are allowed to carry camping stoves in
their hold luggage as long as fuel cells are not attached and these items
are securely packed. Please refer to our Carrier’s Regulations for
more information regarding the forbidden substances / items:
http://www.easyjet.com/EN/Book/regulations.html#baggage.

Please note, however, that the airport check-in / security staff may
request you to produce this item for inspection should there be any
safety concerns. If your stove has been used before and the fuel traces have
not been adequately removed you might be requested to remove this item
from your luggage. However, this is likely to affect very few of our
passengers.

Thank you for taking the time to contact us, If you require
any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us again,
either by phone on 0871 244 2366 (calls cost 10p per minute; calls from
mobiles and other networks may cost more) or via the contact us section
of the easyJet web site. We look forward to welcoming you on board in
the future.

Outdoor Eddie 25 Jan 2006
In reply to Scott_M@c:

To solve the fuel bottle issue do this:

1. Empty bottle of all fuel
2. Fill bottle of water
3. Place blank sticker over the word FUEL if it appears on the bottle
4. Write WATER on each sticker
5. If you wish on return to Blighty remove sticker!

Some people have been not allowed to carry empty fuel bottles because they have the word FUEL written on them.
The above should do the job!

OE

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...