UKC

Mick Fowler and Chris Watts new route in Tibet

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Yyonnx 06 Dec 2005
Ran across a news blurb on the Climbing.com site and searched the archives (news and forums) here to see if there was any coverage but can't find anything...anyone know more about this climb?

francoisecall 07 Dec 2005
In reply to Yyonnx: Ask at the Alpine Club. They made a presentation last week end.
OP Yyonnx 07 Dec 2005
In reply to francoisecall:

Thanks for the info. Thanks also Norrie, couldn't get thru to the planetmountain server but the other blurb was a copy of the original from climbing.com.

Why would UKC not have more info on what sounds like a serious climb by some of the UK's best?
SimonW 07 Dec 2005
In reply to Yyonnx:
> (In reply to francoisecall)

> Why would UKC not have more info on what sounds like a serious climb by some of the UK's best?

Perhaps folk are more interested in well honed dudes repeating rock routes that are 10-15 years old.............

Looks impressive.

Anonymous 07 Dec 2005
 anonymous1 07 Dec 2005
In reply to SimonW:

does look very impressive.

As for you comment re UK climbing ...well i agree its not the most serious and at the cutting edge of climbing sites is it. But then thats why its most probably used a lot by a wide range of climbers.

Gossip, slagging other people off and the odd bit of late news is what UKC is good at. The Sun of the climbing web sites.

Nothing wrong with the Sun either though.
satori 07 Dec 2005
In reply to anonymous1:

> As for you comment re UK climbing ...well i agree its not the most serious and at the cutting edge of climbing sites is it.

true. but there are still plenty of us here who would much rather read about fowler's exploits than read arguements about the grading on a 15m grit route.

i really love reading about these large scale alpine ascents.

cheers everyone for the links.

the photo caption is 'Kajaqiao from the south. The Fowler/Watts route lies on the far side of the peak.'

does anyone know if there is a picture of the other side of the peak? or am i going to have to wait for mountain info to see their line?
James Jackson 07 Dec 2005
In reply to satori:

Perhaps worth removing the email address? I'm thinking spamspamspam.
satori 07 Dec 2005
In reply to satori:

Done with the aid of:
GORE AWARDS 2005 SHIPTON/TILMAN GRANTS TO MODERN EXPLORERS

http://www.gore-tex.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ContentFView?storeId=1000...

British Kajaqiao 2005, awarded $5,000

Mick Fowler, Britain’s pre-eminent adventure climber with a reputation for forcing technical and adventurous climbs in remote situations, leads a team on the first ascent of Kajaqiao (6447m/21,151f) in the Nyainquentaglia East Range of Tibet. The mountains in the region are almost completely unexplored and yet offer some of the most spectacular objectives in the world. Because the range has been closed to Western exploration, there are no reliable maps of the area. The few that exist are so questionable that prior attempts at Kajaqiao were foiled by a towering ridge that was not on any known map.

With team members Adam Thomas, Phil Amos, and Chris Watts, Fowler is planning to explore the surrounding area to the north and west of Kajaqiao that has never been visited by Westerners. This region offers the most spectacular collection of unclimbed mountains in the world. Many peaks are visually spectacular, inspiring one Japanese explorer to call one the "Matterhorn of the Nyainquentaglia." All this presents a wild exploratory opportunity of the kind that Shipman and Tillman reveled in.
 anonymous1 07 Dec 2005
In reply to satori:

i was/am actually agreeing with you ,10%-
satori 07 Dec 2005
In reply to James Jackson:
> (In reply to satori)
>
> Perhaps worth removing the email address? I'm thinking spamspamspam.

have done James.

Mick's mail addy was is in copies of the above article all over the web, including the copy i cut&paste from, but not in the original article from the gore site - so i have removed it.
OP Yyonnx 07 Dec 2005
In reply to anonymous1:
> (In reply to SimonW)
>
> does look very impressive.
>
> As for you comment re UK climbing ...well i agree its not the most serious and at the cutting edge of climbing sites is it.

I think it is hard to find climbing sites as broad in scope that do as good a job as UKC. Thus, I thought the new route was old news and I had missed it being in Chamonix at the time.

Well, it seems I didn't miss it and it's now been brought to light. Did anyone get to the lecture at the Alpine Club? I haven't yet followed that up...

Cheers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...