UKC

Carrot, Egg or Coffee?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tiggs 11 Dec 2005
I've decided to post this DTP as it is more than a TCR topic - its a little bit PeteW but I think the message is important. Its rare that I cut and paste, but I think this is worth it.....

Carrot, Egg or Coffee?
--Author Unknown

You will never look at a cup of coffee the same way again.

A young woman went to her mother, told her about her life and how things were so hard for her. She did not know how she was going to make it and wanted to give up. She was tired of fighting and struggling. It seemed as though every time one problem was solved, a new one arose.

Her mother took her to the kitchen. She filled three pots with water and placed each on a high fire. Soon the pots came to boil. In the first she placed carrots, in the second she placed eggs, and in the last she placed ground coffee beans. She let them sit and boil, without saying a word.

In about twenty minutes, she turned off the burners. She fished the carrots out and placed them in a bowl. She pulled the eggs out and placed them in a bowl. Then she ladled the coffee out and placed it in a bowl.

Turning to her daughter, she asked, "Tell me what you see."

"Carrots, eggs and coffee," she replied.

Her mother brought her closer and asked her to feel the carrots. She did and noted that they were soft. The mother then asked the daughter to take an egg and break it. After pulling off the shell, she observed the hard boiled egg. Finally, the mother asked the daughter to sip the coffee. The daughter smiled as she tasted its rich aroma.

The daughter then asked, "What does it mean, mother?"

Her mother explained that each of these objects had faced the same adversity, boiling water. Each reacted differently.

The carrot went in strong, hard and unrelenting. But after being subjected to the boiling water, it softened and became weak.

The egg had been fragile. Its thin outer shell had protected its liquid interior, but after sitting through the boiling water, its inside became hardened.

The ground coffee beans were unique, however. After they were in the boiling water, they had changed the water.

"Which are you?" she asked her daughter. "When adversity knocks on your door, how do you respond? Are you a carrot, an egg or a coffee bean?"

Think of this: Which am I? Am I the carrot that seems strong, but with pain and adversity do I wilt, become soft and lose my strength?

Am I the egg that starts with a malleable heart, but changes with the heat? Did I have a fluid spirit, but after a death, a breakup, a financial hardship or some other trial, have I become hardened and stiff? Does my shell look the same, but on the inside, am I bitter and tough with a stiff spirit and hardened heart?

Or am I like the coffee bean? The bean actually changes the hot water, the very circumstance that brings the pain. When the water gets hot, it releases the fragrance and flavour. If you are like the bean, when things are at their worst, you get better and change the situation around you.

When the hour is the darkest and trials are their greatest, do you elevate yourself to another level? How do you handle adversity? Are you a carrot, an egg or a coffee bean?

May you have enough happiness to make you sweet, enough trials to make you strong, enough sorrow to keep you human and enough hope to make you happy.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best or most of everything; they just make the most of everything that comes along their way. The brightest future will always be based on a forgotten past; you can't go forward in life until you let go of your past failures and heartaches.

When you were born, you were crying and everyone around you was smiling. Live your life so that, at the end, you're the one who is smiling and everyone around you is crying.

It's easier to build a child than repair an adult. This is so true... I want to be like the coffee ...

Wingman@work 11 Dec 2005
In reply to Tiggs:

am suprised no one else has replied......

think that is very very good. And in a lot of ways very inspiring
mm548 11 Dec 2005
In reply to Tiggs: i like it! i want to be a coffee bean - but from experience it is a hell of a lot easier to be a bloody carrot even if you dont want to be
OP Tiggs 11 Dec 2005
In reply to mm548: Perhaps its only by knowing what its like to be a carrot and an egg that one can be a coffee bean
 Kenny 11 Dec 2005
In reply to Tiggs:ilures and heartaches.
>
> Live your life so that, at the end, you're the one who is smiling and everyone around you is crying.
>

explain this please
OP Tiggs 11 Dec 2005
In reply to Kenny: Its about the deathbed. Live your life with no regrets and loving those who love you. You will die with a smile on your face and the tears are those of your loved ones who will miss you and be sad that you will be gone.

<well, that's my interpretation, I didn't write the OP btw>
mm548 11 Dec 2005
In reply to Kenny: its like be happy about what you have done in your life - it doesnt matter that this is the end because there is nothing you want to change about your life there is nothing you want to do that you never got a chance to - and the people who are crying are the people who loved you and helped you be the person you were
Profanisaurus Rex 11 Dec 2005
In reply to Tiggs:
> (In reply to mm548) Perhaps its only by knowing what its like to be a carrot and an egg that one can be a coffee bean

Wise words, Tiggs, wise words......

From someone who is just beginning to become one.....

tattoo2005 11 Dec 2005
In reply to Tiggs: Hiya Tiggs! Your thread is made up of the wisest words I have read in a very long time, thanks for posting it, certainly does make you think and possibly appreciate what you already having instead of worrying or mourning what has been lost. Thank you :O)
OP Tiggs 11 Dec 2005
In reply to tattoo2005: Hi! As I said in the OP its rare that I cut & paste, certainly something as long as that, but the words have resonance and I thought others might like to read them.

I bet that at some point in this thread someone will point out that they don't like coffee
 tattoo2005 11 Dec 2005
In reply to Tiggs: I would hope that anyone reading your post will think about it in the spirit that it is meant, rather than making jokes about it! I think the words will mean something to everyone, at some point we have all faced adversity of some sort, whether it be a bereavement, end of a relationship, financial worries and its nice to read the words, hopefully for people out there who are having a difficult time they give a bit of hope and encouragement not to give up or let life batter you into the floor, stand up and face the world head on!

Kirstin
simmo 11 Dec 2005
In reply to Tiggs: hello auntie tiggs, have you found god?
OP Tiggs 11 Dec 2005
In reply to simmo: I don't think so - do you know where he's hiding?
OP Tiggs 11 Dec 2005
In reply to tattoo2005: The wonderful thing about this place is that the jokers (just like dear Simmo and me at times) can post side by side with everyone else. It also helps not to take life and this place too seriously.
simmo 11 Dec 2005
In reply to Tiggs: gods not a he, thats just so bc....

till then :+)
 tattoo2005 11 Dec 2005
In reply to Tiggs: Oh I didnt mean it to sound like it perhaps did lol! I laugh and joke as much as the rest, maybe its just I've been sitting with pen and paper today, writing some resolution down for next year, which as far as I'm concerned is going to be a great year for me. I can't wait to kiss this year goodbye at the stroke of midnight 2006!
OP Tiggs 11 Dec 2005
In reply to tattoo2005: Have to say 2005 has been a bit of a roller coaster, although its been getting much better and 2006 just might be a good one!

I hope you achieve all you wish for in 2006.

I made a list a few years ago of things I wanted to do before I died/got too old. I've achieved at least 2 of those this year and if all goes well (see my Cook Island's thread) I might achieve another in the next couple of years. That will still leave visiting Antarctica to be ticked. But softly, softly as they say....
OP Tiggs 11 Dec 2005
In reply to simmo: 'bc'?
 tattoo2005 11 Dec 2005
In reply to Tiggs: You're right Tiggs, its has been a rollercoaster of a year, but I think I want to get off now! I've done a lot of the things I've always wanted to do, my biggest one being scuba diving on the Barrier Reef which I did a few years ago when I was living in Australia. Most of the things on my list now are quite simple things, probably more to do with life in general but between the two of us we'll keep ticking off our wish list and enjoy life. I hope that 2006 brings you all that you wish for Tiggs.

Kirstin
simmo 11 Dec 2005
In reply to Tiggs: errr..... bc.. before coffee

ad... after dinner...

i really should know this stuff, as i had to carry a candle in church as a youth, wear a white frock, and sing a a men, before escaping to headbang, play air geetar and listen to the dc

usual seasons greetings auntie tiggula...

luv j xx
OP Tiggs 11 Dec 2005
In reply to tattoo2005: Thank you!
OP Tiggs 11 Dec 2005
In reply to simmo: Back at ya simmo/j! xx

<tiggula - hmmmmmmmmm! it makes me sound like Caligula>

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...