UKC

What length ice screw?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
chadz4 11 Dec 2005
What is the best length of ice screw for typical Scottish conditions and how many do people normally carry on a general Scottish winter rack?

I currently have a couple of 17's and a 22 for threads. Was wondering if the 17's would be ok for runners or whether I need to invest in a couple of 13's?
 Norrie Muir 11 Dec 2005
In reply to chadz4:
> What is the best length of ice screw for typical Scottish conditions and how many do people normally carry on a general Scottish winter rack?
>
Dear chad

For typical Scottish conditions, I don't take ice screws. Others maybe be of some help for specific conditions on ice routes.

Norrie
OP Anonymous 11 Dec 2005
In reply to chadz4:
all route dependent in my opinion mate
obviosly if ice is thick enough and for that matter strong enough to take a long one game on but FOR ME rock gear/pegs or sling would be first choice as well as spikes etc for natural protection.

saying that i just got two helix 15 cm screws from nevisport and they are good.

jay

David Hooper 11 Dec 2005
In reply to chadz4: I tend to agree with Norrie - I do take 2 or 3 17's just in case, but I prefer rock gear.

I would quantify this by taking screws if I know Im aiming to do a pure ice route in good nick like some of the stuff on Udlaidh or Curtain etc.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...