UKC

TNF Redpoint Jacket - how warm?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Simon White 31 Dec 2005
Just been trying on synthetic insulation jackets. No problems with cut, fit, hood etc, but can anyone please comment on how warm they are, in particular the TNF Redpoint? It looked very thin and flimsy next to a well puffed up down.

Thanks
Redpoint Tokay 31 Dec 2005
In reply to Simon White: It's warm if you're being moderately active. I wear it under a waterproof shell as a layer and it's nice and cosy. Good value for the money.
dave packer 31 Dec 2005
In reply to Simon White: in my humble opinion there is a huge difference in warmth between down and synthetic..
i know down is a pain in the wet but make sure you have your gucci goretex jacket to hand and wear it over the top of your down jacket.

pax
Redpoint Tokay 31 Dec 2005
In reply to dave packer: gucci make gortex?! Where can I buy?
 mark s 31 Dec 2005
In reply to Simon White: i had one just before xmas.cannot fault it at all.very light and warm.worth getting,look smart too.
 biscuit 31 Dec 2005
In reply to Simon White: Can get them from Ultimate Outdoors in Keswick for £99 instead of £130 for the Optimus hooded version.

Also at that price on Gear Zone interweb site - but it may be spring by the time they ship it to you.
Simon White 31 Dec 2005
In reply to dave packer:
> (In reply to Simon White) ... goretex jacket to hand and wear it over the top of your down jacket.

Don't think that will work for me as any down jacket will need a waterproof layer at least 3 sizes larger.

Of course there will be some compromise between warmth and water tolerance. The Redpoint looks thin enough in terms of bulk to be a mid layer if you're carrying your waterproof but as it's synthetic it will also cope with some rain on its own without getting wrecked.

Naturally it won't be as warm as down but how does it compare with, say, a mid layer fleece? Anyone with experience to share would be appreciated.

Col 02 Jan 2006
Anywhere!!!!

Patagucci, Lowe Armani, etc. etc.
SI A 02 Jan 2006
In reply to Simon White:

as said ok if doing something but crap if your using it for belay duty. synthetic are great but you still need loft whatever the product.

ive got a really cheap montain belay jacket in synthetic and its amazing. bulky though.
 SFM 05 Jan 2006
In reply to Simon White:

I prefer the lower profile of synthetic filled jackets to the inflated look of down for general cragging and mooching about. I've got the redpoint optimus and I really rate it. Packs down well and is very warm. I've worn it in some pretty serious rain for a short while and had no real issues. I would say that the optimus(or similar) would be much more practical than a fleece.
 Adam Lincoln 05 Jan 2006
In reply to Simon White:

Pay the extra and get the redpoint optimus. Well worth the extra £20.

Ive had both.
Simon White 05 Jan 2006
In reply to Adam Lincoln:

Pretty much what I'd concluded (thanks to all who've posted). Having a look at the Berghaus Infinity this afternoon.
 MJH 05 Jan 2006
In reply to Simon White: The mrs has the hooded version and has just worn it for skiing in Canada. She wasn't cold (or wet) through some pretty cold and wet weather. Probably not so good if standing around more.

Mike
Tall Jon 05 Jan 2006
In reply to MJH:

I've got a similar jacket made by RAB (Proton maybe? hooded synthetic insulated jacket). It is about as warm as a fairly thick fleece but is windproof, packs very small and layers very well as it slides against other layers, unlike fleece). It is a good alround jacket unless it starts to rain as it isn't very water resistant (that's when the shell goes on top).

The best comparison is to a fleece rather than a down jacket as the thin synthetic jackets, such as the NF redpoint, are not designed to provide as much static warmth as downies. There are sythetic belay jackets that are designed for thsi and, as said above, they tend to be bulkier than a downie for the same weight.
 TobyA 06 Jan 2006
In reply to Simon White: Simon, I've had a redpoint optimus for about a year. I use it as a belay jacket over a soft shell when ice climbing and as my standard winter coat for going to work in etc. With just a t-shirt underneath I've found its fine whilst strolling to the train station at about -10. As a belay jacket its not as warm as my DAS parka but its a bit lighter. Wet snow or light rain is no problem for limited periods of time.

I definitely wouldn't wear it as a mid layer. Its much too bulky for that - but then again on the odd occasions that I do wear a goretex I don't wear anything more than a micro fleece underneath. The hood is OK and goes over a petzl elios helmet, but not as good to hide in as a DAS. It's a standard "US-style" hood with too much cut-away if you ain't wearing googles. Hope this helps.
Stormmagnet 06 Jan 2006
In reply to Simon White: In comparison to a mid weight fleece, much warmer. I bought a redpoint to replace an old ME lightline, although the down ME jacket was probably warmer in optimum conditions, in reality it soon lost a lot of its warmth. I use it as an emergency / belay jacket in Scottish Winter and Alps, the only serious insulation I carry, and never had a problem.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...