UKC

Speeding on the Westway

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
simon clarke 09 Jan 2006
Most people on the Westway into London seem to stick to the 50mph speed limit which is supicious. There are no cameras so is there something I should know that everyone else does. Any A40 drivers?
 Tobias at Home 09 Jan 2006
In reply to simon clarke: eh? i normally pootle along at the speed limit and get overtaken by grannies on their shopmobility scooters.
 Rubbishy 09 Jan 2006
In reply to simon clarke:

I tend to do around 60 and find myself overtaken freguently, I once quite naughtily did 80 and was still being repeatedly overtaken. Mental road
 CurlyStevo 09 Jan 2006
seems when I'm on it lots of people are speeding.... I thought there were some cameras after the westway sports centre I believe (when going out of town). Don't they have camera signs up on the westway
 Horse 09 Jan 2006

I have been known to ride that track and of course wouldn't dream of adding 50% to the legal limit, even if I did there would be plenty still going past me. Going east you have to watch out for the hidden queue back from the Marylebone road and heading west there is a naughty camera shortly after you come off the elevated section.
 Rubbishy 09 Jan 2006
In reply to CurlyStevo:

THere is a camera on the estbound section as it drops to 40 mph just after the White City turn off.
 Adam Lincoln 09 Jan 2006

My satnav doesnt warn me of anything dodgy. And that pics up ALL speedtraps/Camera.
simon clarke 09 Jan 2006
In reply to CurlyStevo: There are signs but no cameras on the bit that i go on - Hammersmith to Paddington. I only ask because I got a ticket from a camera mounted on a building the other day (bus lane on M/C), wondered if they did similar things for speeding.
 gingerdave13 09 Jan 2006
In reply to simon clarke: there's a couple of cameras on the way into the westway from west london. I think there is also one on the way out - but i must admit I could be one of those peeps bombing it past you guys,,,,
Wingman@work 09 Jan 2006

dunno - but I got flashed on the way in to London on the A4 today and my speedo said I was doing the speed limit (40) - will be seriously miffed if I get a ticket!

and yes, there's a cpl on the A40 coming into London and 1 on the way out (a few hundred meters after you come off the westway flyover) - generally I think the speed is just to do with the volume of traffic.
simon clarke 09 Jan 2006
In reply to gingerdave13: I swing between the speed limit - usually after a heavy day at work with an exhausted brain and caning it when the mood takes me. I have noticed that traffic behaves like a single brained animal sometimes. Either everyone goes like madmen or they all potter.
 Chris_Mellor 09 Jan 2006
In reply to simon clarke: Yes, there have been thoughts about putting speed cameras on routes at Westway. However, after consultation with the BMC, it's been decided to have climber calming measures installed instead.
 PaulW 09 Jan 2006
In reply to simon clarke: going out of town the last section of 30 mph, just before the road starts to go up from Marylebone Road, used to be a regular place for the mobile van to park.
cows 09 Jan 2006

There are cameras up and down the A 40 in both directions starting/finishing at Hillingdon Circus from the West and right into town on the way in. Get used to the locations and just slow down when you see them

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...