UKC

my gore tex jacket

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 laurencehicks 10 Jan 2006
I've got my first gore tex jacket a few months ago and today was its first true test lots of wind and plenty of rain. its a ME matrix half xcr half paclite, i think it might not be working properly as when i took it of it was very damp inside and the back was not beeding.

I rang the shop i got it from and they said that when you take of the jacket the inside will get wet as this is part of its breathing process. it was damp the second i took it of is this right. also they said that beacause i wear a rucksac it will rub of the stuff that makes it bead, is this true

ta
 martin riddell 10 Jan 2006
In reply to laurencehicks:

nah, it's just that goretx is WAY over-rated as a product

when the wind is howlin, tha rain pissin doon and you are out being active you WILL get wet, no matter what you are wearing
luke_brown 10 Jan 2006
You will get wet inside if you're being active and it's chucking it down. The main thing is that you are able to remain warm when wet. That goes for gloves, hats etc as well.
 Lbos 10 Jan 2006
In reply to laurencehicks: Same here. I believe there has to be a significant tempreture difference between outside and inside the jacket for it to work correctly. If its that cold it won't be raining!
Buffalo Tom 10 Jan 2006
In reply to martin riddell:
>
> when the wind is howlin, tha rain pissin doon and you are out being active you WILL get wet, no matter what you are wearing

Except if you're wearing Paramo.........

Tom M Williams 10 Jan 2006

Gore tex is pretty breathable in dry conditions, however when it gets wet and the face fabric wets out it looses its breathability, hence you being damp inside.

i've never bought a gore-tex jacket and don't ever intend to, its well over rated!
 Ridge 10 Jan 2006

To agree with most people here, goretex is vastly overrated. What you describe is par for the course with Goretex, but the bit about the inside getting wet when you take it off as being part of the 'breathing process' sounds completely wrong.
Deejay 10 Jan 2006

Return your jacket immediately. You have been sold an overrated product by a litle Billy bullshitter who clearly does not understand the parameters for Goretex's efficacy.

Buy yourself some Paramo, or go for a true softshell such as Buffalo or Rab Vaporise and get yourself a cheap "waterproof" from TK Maxx for those wet days.

DJ

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...