UKC

awesome walls

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 nolo 14 Jan 2006
hi does anyone no if ders n e restrictions for leading at awesome walls in liverpool? i have just thought bout leadin indoors! c ya
 gil 14 Jan 2006
In reply to nolo: do you no how to lead? (someone is going to have a go at you for text talk)
OP nolo 14 Jan 2006
In reply to gil: er no but it seems a good idea (i will stop talking text talk.but do u no about awesome walls?
 gil 14 Jan 2006
In reply to nolo: ye, i climb there all the time, you should do the learn to lead course that they do there. (im not botherd about txt talk, but people have a go at you for doing it)
OP nolo 14 Jan 2006
In reply to gil: so i can go witout the course or i have to do it u goin tommorow lol??
 gil 14 Jan 2006
In reply to nolo: you can do it with out the course, but i wouldnt advise it. i taught myself and did somthing wrong and ended up with rope burn across my face lmao. you could try the easy walls. nope im going pex hill tomorrow, i might go during the week though
OP nolo 14 Jan 2006
In reply to gil: ok i might go to pex hill aswell lol er i cba waiting for session space i will just go and av a go if not sod it lol

nolo
 gil 14 Jan 2006
In reply to nolo: how old are you and how long have you been climbing for?
OP nolo 14 Jan 2006
In reply to gil:im 11 been awesome walls 5-6 times but have done alot of climbing wiv scouts
 trekclimb 14 Jan 2006
In reply to nolo: go for it nolo, have fun , and scare yourself, if it's not scary you're not progressing
OP nolo 14 Jan 2006
In reply to all :have u got any advice on lead climbing, thanks for the help btw, i will scare myself silly!
 gil 14 Jan 2006
In reply to nolo: practice cliping with one hand at home before leading, trust me it will pay off
 trekclimb 14 Jan 2006
In reply to nolo: just get yourself a belayer who you have absolute faith in, one who will know when you need a slack or tight rope, without you having to ask for it
OP nolo 14 Jan 2006
In reply to last 2: thanks 4 the advice will do 1 ore question how do u coil a rope if u can explain ???
 Ri 14 Jan 2006
In reply to nolo: oh, thats very hard to explain, although i think there are some diagrams etc. on the net, ill go and have a search
OP nolo 14 Jan 2006
In reply to Ri: thanks alot
 Dave Stelmach 14 Jan 2006
In reply to nolo: du u no how 2 spell?
 Ri 14 Jan 2006
In reply to Dave Stelmach: hes 11, give him a break
OP nolo 14 Jan 2006
In reply to last 2: yes i do but im using txt language thanks alot 4 stikin up 4 me and i coiled it perfect thanks alot people bi
KA 16 Jan 2006
Thought I'd hijack your topic to make my thoughts known about Awesome Walls:

Fantastic!!

Went for the first time on Saturday and found staff friendly and helpful and even the liverpudlians were really smiley!! Brilliant atmosphere - cheers! We'll be back soon. (This is quite an undertaking as we travel from Shrewsbury!)
 gil 16 Jan 2006
In reply to KA: how come you travel so far?? isnt there one closer to you
KA 16 Jan 2006
In reply to gil:

Well, Creation in Birmingham but not inspired by this.....Wolverhampton but only 7m high and no overhangs or lead climbs.........Chester but open funny times........so no, not really, we've always had to travel at least 1hr-1 1/2 hrs for indoor climbing. Meant to be a wall in Shrewsbury Feb/March/April whenever but this will not be on the same scale, only 9m high I think.
 willhunt 16 Jan 2006
In reply to nolo: Only just caught this thread. Awesome Walls is fantastic! Crammed with walls big and small. Just when I thought there was no room left they squeezed in another lead wall. If your going there check out the pink route on the far left of the back wall. Tis really fun to do but havent managed it yet because I always go at the end of the day when im pumped. friendly staff, definately recommended.
Does anyone know what grading system they use there. I want to be able to compare myself with other grades (such as HVS, E1, E2 like they use at North West Face). I can lead to about 6a/6b at awesome walls. I also live about 10 mins bike away from Pex Hill so was wondering if its a good place to learn how to climb outdoors. Ive not done it yet but am pretty keen.
 Pekkie 16 Jan 2006
In reply to willhunt:

You can't compare indoor grades to outdoor traditional - it's chalk and cheese. You have to hang about putting gear in and you even use different muscles. Having said that, Pex is a great place to learn to climb. I would boulder and top rope there to get the hang of it then go to North Wales and Peak grit and start to lead the easier routes. Then when you get good come back and solo at Pex if you want to. As a rough guide, though, to TOP ROPE vertical routes 6a/6b at Awesome equates to about 5a/5b at Pex and 6c/7a equates to about 5c/6a.
 BankVYP 16 Jan 2006
In reply to willhunt:

I seem to remember that there's a chart up in Awesome Walls with a subjective comparison between several different grading systems. It might be on one of the pillars by the pinnacle but that's a very vague memory!

And the pink route is very fun if you like having your arms pulled out of your sockets. I need to get my technique up a bit before trying it again!
OP nolo 17 Jan 2006
In reply to KA: dont worry i feel like lettin ot all out anyway its da best inni the awesome wall is awesome lol
OP nolo 18 Jan 2006
In reply to willhunt: http://www.awesomewalls.co.uk/grades.html dunno if its any help wiv da gradin but i think thats wat ya want!!!???
 CJD 18 Jan 2006
In reply to nolo:

perverse though it may seem, you might find it easier to get your point across if you write normally. I know you're only 11 but that doesn't make you a halfwit, does it?

John Hewitt 18 Jan 2006
In reply to CJD:

Well they said they wamted more kids here.
x
 gil 18 Jan 2006
In reply to Pekkie: i agree with that. pex is amazing for building up finger strength and for foot work
 Pekkie 18 Jan 2006
In reply to nolo:

Wasn't the whole Ali G thing a skit intended to take the rise out of this sort of stufF?
jimbojj 20 Jan 2006
In reply to Pekkie: i made 1 spelling mistake in that last post im sorry, i did not mean to spell gradeing wrong an da is just a habit when im on a personall computer (lol). I will try in the future to be a perfect human being !!!

you wont get very far if you search the forums for spelling mistakes you no !

(lol stands for laugh out loud)

sorry about spelling mistakes
jimbojj 20 Jan 2006
In reply to jimbojj: its nolo btw im on dads account
 willhunt 22 Jan 2006
In reply to nolo: getting back to the awesome wall, last time I was in there with my brother we kept on having to try it over and over because we saw a not-quite-but-getting-there fat kid on it (no offence) and he got one clip higher than us. The CHEEK. Eventually beat him and got up a clip so my pride was saved. Im going to nail that wall next time *grits teeth*.
Wuckers 24 Jan 2006
In reply to nolo:bugger me dood its not as hard to write with a keyboard as it is a phone
ceri 24 Jan 2006
In reply to nolo: the main restrriction may be with your age. children requre supervision, im afraid.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...