UKC

Instant Coffee

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Pete W 26 Jan 2006
Are there any good ones that are strong eough without being bitter?

Obviously not asking those who would lower themselves by admitting to drinking the stuff. More we ordinary folk who don´t have the time or "equipment" to make the real stuff.

Your help most appreciated. Pete
 LizzieLou 26 Jan 2006
In reply to Pete W:
Addicted to Nescaff Gold Blend, but it tastes nothing like filter coffee... I suggest Douwe Egberts.
 dougair 26 Jan 2006
In reply to Pete W:When At work I drink instant to keep cost down, I have found Nescafe Alta Rica to be the best, its not cheap for instant but you get what you pay for!! Obviously prefer the proper stuff though!!
 David Peters 26 Jan 2006
In reply to Pete W: Netto do a good one that consists mostly of dust / mud with a few burnt wood shavings to give it that real 'italian roast' flavour.
trevor simpson 26 Jan 2006
In reply to dougair:

> At work I drink instant to keep cost down, I have found Nescafe Alta Rica to be the best, its not cheap

I don't understand what a contradiction is yes I do
 LizzieLou 26 Jan 2006
In reply to trevor simpson:
"not cheap for instant" but still cheaper than filter!
 Boogs 26 Jan 2006
In reply to Pete W:

I tried A different one the other day I think it's " Buenavida" It was a fair trade one from Morrison's very nice for an Instant coffee . .

it could of been Buenida actually very smooth though . .
In reply to LizzieLou:
> (In reply to trevor simpson)
> "not cheap for instant" but still cheaper than filter!

Not really.

Alta Rica is £2.98 for 100g http://www.sainsburystoyou.com/webconnect/frameset/navigation_frame.jsp

Sainbury's Orignal Blend Filter Coffee is 99p for 227g http://www.sainsburystoyou.com/webconnect/frameset/navigation_frame.jsp

climberguy 26 Jan 2006
In reply to Pete W:

the time or "equipment" to make the real stuff.

What a cheap cafetiere and the same amount of time it takes to make a cup of instant! Go for the real stuff, it's worth it.

Pete W 26 Jan 2006
In reply to climberguy:
> (In reply to Pete W)
>
> the time or "equipment" to make the real stuff.
>
> What a cheap cafetiere and the same amount of time it takes to make a cup of instant! Go for the real stuff, it's worth it.

I´m with you there. Given the choice and the time I´ll cycle miles just for a good coffee. However, I´ve got two kids and a quick caffein fix is about all I have time for. At the same time it has to be good to make it worth it as it were.

Pete
In reply to Pete W:
> , I´ve got two kids and a quick caffein fix is about all I have time for. At the same time it has to be good to make it worth it as it were.

Just teach the little ankle-biters to make it for you
Pete W 26 Jan 2006
In reply to trevor simpson:

Funny that you should mention it...

They are only 7 & 4 and often offer to. I´m really into letting them try as many things for themselves as is safe. Prefer to let them explore their own limitations instead of me impossing them. However, boiling water is not one of those areas.
 NIGBEE 26 Jan 2006
In reply to Pete W:

What I never understood is the Nescafe advertising campaign based around the great smell of their coffee

how on earth did they manage to convince anyone that’s what coffee is supposed to smell like ?

I like in Burton on Trent and drive home past a Nestle factory every night and the smell turns my stomach

BrianT 26 Jan 2006
In reply to Pete W: Netto coffe powder. Brilliant stuff. Dissolves every time, no bits. Cheap, cheerful and full of caffeine. What more do you want?

Actually Pete, I never touch coffee. Why would I when there's lovely lovely tea?!!
 marie 26 Jan 2006
In reply to Pete W: It's a tie between Douwe Egberts and Nescafe Alta Rica.

It depends which is on offer as to which I buy though!
 ebygomm 26 Jan 2006
In reply to marie: Douwe Egberts you get a nice glass storage jar at the end of it!
Chris Georg 26 Jan 2006
In reply to Pete W: carte noir, the dogs danglies when it comes to instant coffee. even thier de cafe tastes better than 99% of the other brands out there.

try it once and you'll never go back.

on a similar point, i made a cup of coffee using the most dire shite in the world the other day, and made it 'my way', people said what a nice cup it was. so it may be more of a case of how, not what.

chris

In reply to Pete W: Try Pro-plus then for a caffeine fix
 2pints 26 Jan 2006
In reply to GraemeA at home:
> (In reply to Pete W) Try Pro-plus then for a caffeine fix

Aye, I used to live on 'em, certainly give a cafeine fix, but had to quit when I started needing to eat 6 to get a hit...

In reply to Pete W:

I can't stand filter coffee. The very smell of it is enough to bring me out in mouth ulcers.

But Gold Blend is OK.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...