UKC

Best place for Real Ale..........Keswick..??

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Keith Roughley 28 Jan 2006
Has to be up there with 'Jennings' on your doorstep
 pigeonjim 28 Jan 2006
In reply to Keith Roughley:
Whit i lived in cockermouth which has ace pubs but u cant get a good pint anywhere in keswick. Try the bush in cockermouth or the bull inn in paisley
 2pints 28 Jan 2006

that one opposite Needlesports is good.
Jules B 28 Jan 2006
In reply to Keith Roughley: Has to be York, the Maltings!
Juicy Lucy 28 Jan 2006

There are load of places that pull a good pint of Jennings, but avoid Keswick!

Was, years ago, very good. Still just hanging in there, with Jennings alone, but a mere shade of its former self. Ditto Langdale and Wasdale.
staralfur 29 Jan 2006

keswick was decent for beer last time i was up there - i remember having a great pint of cock-a-hoop in the george.
In reply to staralfur:
Only to be upstaged by the great 'Snecklifter'..........
staralfur 29 Jan 2006

yeah snecklifter has been the guest ale in my local quite a bit in recent months, which has lead to plenty of bad heads and late starts at work. thankfully my boss drinks in the same pub and so usually turns up after me!
 Si dH 29 Jan 2006
In reply to staralfur:
Indeed, Cock-a-Hoop is gorgeous stuff. Thats where I had my first pint of it as well!
Juicy Lucy 29 Jan 2006

Dent Bitter 3.7 A clean tasting, light bitter with hints of grapefruit in the nose and more general fruitiness along with some hoppiness and malt in the taste. The finish is short.
Aviator 4.0 A chestnut coloured ale with a full and rounded hop flavour. A popular ‘session’ beer for the discerning palate. Malts are complex, but take second place to a hop ensemble that make this a very distinctive beer indeed.
Ramsbrau Lager 4.5
Sheep Dip 4.5
Dr. Ewe 4.5
Rambler 4.5
Kamikaze 5.0 Hops and fruit dominate this full-bodied gold coloured strong bitter, with pleasant dry bitterness growing in the aftertaste. Citrus and honey in the aroma, with a hint of spiciness in the taste.

After a few of these you won't be standing, but what a way to go!
peter pan 29 Jan 2006
One vote here for The Keswick Lodge & Crag Rat Ale

The Dog and Gun in Kesik had Old Pecular and various others had the Jennings "stable" when I was there at Xmas. We visited the tourist unfriendly Jennings brewery in Cockermouth on the way home, but the tours were off so we found a nice wee pub instead - The Bitter End.
 Lbos 30 Jan 2006
In reply to Keith Roughley: We were discussing this yesterday. There is a distinct lack of descent pubs in the Lake District.
It must be the tourist effect, places been bought out for their commercial potential and greater focus on food. I remember being in the Wasdale head last year after being told it was good. It was v poor. Ale was lifeless and warm.
 Rubbishy 30 Jan 2006

Tyrrel Brewery - based near Rheged / Tebay. You can get the beer all around the Lakes.

wonderful stuff

that and Heskett Newmarket - Doris' 90th Birthday Ale..
 Lbos 30 Jan 2006
In reply to steve barnbrook:

Duly noted and shall be investigated in earnest at the next possible convenience (in the name of research and furthering the cause of mankind, you understand.)!
 Lbos 30 Jan 2006
In reply to John Rushby:

My g/f used to work in the Old Crown in Heskett Newmarket. That is a pub! outside the boundary of the park tho.

Top stuff.
 KeithW 30 Jan 2006

I had a couple of pints of 'Scafell Blonde' this weekend. Very good. Anyone know which brewery it's from?

Jules B 30 Jan 2006
In reply to Juicy Lucy: Aaah, yes, the lovely Dent ales! Can we have a trip there this year too?
Jules B 30 Jan 2006
In reply to Juicy Lucy: BTW, are you turning into the Jilly Goulding of beer Juicy???? You sound very knowledgeable!
Juicy Lucy 30 Jan 2006
In reply to Jules B:

I do sound rather like her (yuk)! Yes we shall do a trip to Dent, and a have a nice pint in the Sun!
Jules B 30 Jan 2006
In reply to Juicy Lucy: Fab, lets do that in late spring and have a day out in the Howgills too.
Matt R Horn 30 Jan 2006
In reply to Lbos:

Heskett Newmarket is inside the park boundary (just). It is the best pub in the Lakes, though a bit of a trek round from Keswick
Juicy Lucy 30 Jan 2006
In reply to Jules B:
Sounds good to me!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...