UKC

Abseiling & Easy climbs around Keswick ??

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
DJ Hansley 30 Jan 2006
Does any one know of a location around the Keswick area, where I can take a 13, 7 & 4 year old to have an easy climb with good long abseil routes at the same location. Good access and descent routes would be great with good anchors for top roping. Don't want much do I !!! Many thanks....David
 GrahamD 30 Jan 2006
In reply to DJ Hansley:

From memory, that crag on the left as you walk up to the Bowderstone is pretty amenable - the crag name escapes me at the moment.
 CJD 30 Jan 2006
In reply to GrahamD:

woden's face?

GrahamD 31 Jan 2006
In reply to CJD:

Thats the kiddy - thanks.
 Skyfall 31 Jan 2006
In reply to GrahamD:

yes, Wodens Face

rather midge infested in the summer should be fine now!
 CJD 31 Jan 2006
In reply to JonC:

we spent a day there at the start of august and it didn't seem too bad - it's a lovely spot. It might just be a matter of hoping a light breeze will blow any midges away. We saw some beautiful dragonflies there too.
 Skyfall 31 Jan 2006
In reply to CJD:

it's the marshy ground in front of the crag which attracts them.

it's kind of polished and I would think a bit greasy in the winter as it's under trees but I agree it's a nice spot. There's a nice slab next to the path for non-climbers to watch the fun from.

one of my early Hard Severe (woo hoo) leads was Wodens Cheek (?) there. Rather tricky and mildly bold start and a nice little exposed move or two just below the top.
 Alan Stark 31 Jan 2006
In reply to DJ Hansley:

That's assuming you can get on to Wodens Face, as it's rather popular with the Instructing fraternity.

The slabs at the bottom of Sourmilk Gill are pleasant for that sort of thing, and the easier angled slabs at the top are great place for letting really young kids get the feel of rock.

The other favourite place was Glaciated Slab in Comb Ghyll, and it's not as likely to be overcrowded.

For fine summers days, Round How is about 45 minutes walk from the top of Honister Pass, and is a delightful location with easier routes. Belays at the top may take a bit of rigging up, but the rock is rough and solid.

BelleVedere 31 Jan 2006
In reply to Alan Stark:

Glacited slab is nice climbing, but its a bit of a hike to get there, and the belays aren't great.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...