UKC

Mohair Socks, Hiking Socks or Army Socks?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Woof Woof! 08 Feb 2006
I'm thinking of going out on a non-stop, long distance (hundreds of miles+), roads and hills exercise without many breaks and I could do with getting an idea about which type of quality socks I should be wearing. I don't want my feet to break half way through the journey so I need some quality socks.

I've seen the more pro socks in outdoors/camping shops but I don't know about quality names in these types of socks. Army socks from army surplus stores are a thought I've had but not checked out yet. I've also heard of Mohair socks which are supposed to be hard wearing, very comfortable and they don't smell after using them!

I don't know which types of socks to go for but I want to find some that will last long periods of wear without messing my feet up. I need socks that will be hardwearing and last a long time, that will do a good job of not giving me blisters, that will be comfortable, breathable, warm, and if they don't smell after use all the better!

Can anyone advise me on which socks are quality socks that can do what I need of them. Which brands are well known for quality? Are Army or Mohair socks known to be any good?

Thanks

Woof Woof!
 Norrie Muir 08 Feb 2006
In reply to Woof Woof!:

Dear Woof

If Army socks are good enough for our brave boy, then a wimp like you should have no problem. Mohair socks are for dilettantes and sailors.

Norrie
Woof Woof! 09 Feb 2006
In reply to Norrie Muir:
Have you/do you use Hiking socks? Have you worn Mohair socks? Perhaps you can give me some firsthand experience you've had of them. You have a point about the army socks, but aren't army socks basically 'one size fit all' type? I don't know. As I don't know about what socks are good and which are not so good I'm trying to find out which would be the right tool for the job. That's the idea of finding out about them, nothing wimpish about understanding, preparing and planning.

Woof Woof!
 Craig Geddes 10 Feb 2006
In reply to Woof Woof!: Army socks WILL last much longer than most of the others. However you feet will take more damage from them than from the more expensive pro versions and will be more prone to the various nasty bugs that can infect feet. If you aren't going to be doing much extreme terrain a get round for this is to wear light weight walking shoes (which are also less effort to break in which will be nice as you probably need to replace your foot wear a couple of times during the trip) however if you are going to be hitting more rough terrain I would personally recomend good quality walking socks combined with good boots. They really don't wear out very quickly.

Someone else will have to give you an opinion on the mohair ones though as I don't know anything about them.
 AndyBryce 10 Feb 2006
In reply to Woof Woof!:

Get socks with added arch support, they should lessen the severe pain you're likely to be subjected to.
 Craig Geddes 10 Feb 2006
In reply to AndyBryce: supportive insoles help with this as well.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...