UKC

Jean-Christophe Lafaille: Obituary, The Independent

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Boogs 09 Feb 2006
In reply to Tom Simpson:

Thanks for sharing Tom thats a very informative well written article/obituary !compliments to Colin Wells also !
 Andy Ward 09 Feb 2006
Yep great article.

As an aside, it's interesting they appear not to acknowledge that Hinkes has climbed all 14, despite the recent OBE:

"only 12 climbers have achieved this daunting feat" ?
 Mick Ward 09 Feb 2006
In reply to boogie man:

Agree totally with both comments. Excellent - though so sad.

Mick
 Jason Kirk 09 Feb 2006
In reply to Tom Simpson:

Thanks for pointing that obit out. the Times has not done one that I've seen. A very sad story but so many of these highly driven great climbers live a lot closer to the edge than most of us would be willing to go.
Long may that continue.
In reply to Andy Ward:
> Yep great article.
>
> As an aside, it's interesting they appear not to acknowledge that Hinkes has climbed all 14, despite the recent OBE:
>
Not being funny, but why the hell should they? It's an obit for Lafaille

Toby_W 09 Feb 2006
In reply to steve barnbrook: I think the point is that there is an error in the text, 12 rather than 13.

cheers

Toby
 Andy Ward 09 Feb 2006
In reply to steve barnbrook: Not suggesting they should be mentioning him specifically - agree with you. Just questioning the figures...
In reply to Tom Simpson:

Sad to read, but he always lived very close to the edge and loved it that way. After watching Cold Haul the upmost repsect must go to guy that achieved so much in sometimes the hardest way possible.
 Bill Davidson 09 Feb 2006
In reply to Tom Simpson:

Read the article as well but was struck by the difference in what was said/written when Alison Hargreaves died. Should a mother with two young children be risking her life etc, it's a strange world we live in.

Bill
 sandywilson 09 Feb 2006
In reply to Bill Davidson:
>
> Read the article as well but was struck by the difference in what was said/written when Alison Hargreaves died. Should a mother with two young children be risking her life etc, it's a strange world we live in.
>
Perhaps the reason for the different approach is that the Lafaille Obit was written by Colin Wells.
In reply to boogie man:

Excellent obit by CW.

I never knew the Annapurna story, his description of the fall, made the hairs on my neck stand up.

Salut

IIM
 Doug 09 Feb 2006
In reply to industrialiceman: has his book (Prisonnier de l'Annapurna ) been translated into English ?
In reply to Doug:

No idea .

There are a group of French and British/france based climbers on the site who might know , anyone ?

OP Anonymous 09 Feb 2006
In reply to Doug:
>his book (Prisonnier de l'Annapurna ) been translated into English ?
Well it's not on Amazon

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...