UKC

Buffalo shirt

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
kevster747 13 Feb 2006
Thinking about getting the special 6 shirt. Good, bad indifferent? Anything else better for less or is this the dogs dangleys?
 erikb56 13 Feb 2006
In reply to kevster747:
probably something better around nowadays but have had mine for years and swear by it. wonderful bit of kit.
Chris Tan ver XLIX.01 13 Feb 2006
In reply to kevster747:

The first one I had lasted years! Apart from a few rips here and there I used it until all the pile more or less fell out! It then had a second life as a wind shirt... and when the pertex got too thin, a towel. It's still around somewhere!

It's replacemnt went on holiday, courtesy of some thieving Berturd!

Now using a Montane as I think they are better made.
 CurlyStevo 13 Feb 2006
In reply to Chris Tan ver XLIX.01:

"
Now using a Montane as I think they are better made.
"

and cheaper not that you'd care about such things

PS I have a montane!
noxious 14 Feb 2006
In reply to kevster747:

Montane extreme is £55 + P&P (£6) at awe outdoors at the moment in green or black.

I have one - brilliant but only out in <zero degrees (roast otherwise)
In reply to kevster747: Kev,

I've worn the same Special 6 shirt regularly for the last 11 years and even after literally hundreds of days of abuse it's still going strong: in the UK in winter for climbing, skiing, walking, Alps in summer and winter, Norway, the desert at night in winter, at altitude in the Himalayas in winter, in blizzards, cold water, dripping cold wet freezing forests for weeks on end, generally hanging around long into the night in cold muddy and wet conditions, open bivouacs and underwater.

Chic? No!

Lightweight kit? No!

Stylish? No!

Works even when soaking wet? Yes.

Robust and indestructible even after 11 years of abuse? Yes.

Guaranteed to increase your comfort in all conditions? Yes.

Guaranteed to warm you up within minutes in all conditions? Yes.

Can I look forward to more years of outstanding performance from this one piece of kit despite being 11 years old? Yes.

What you need when it really hits the fan? Yes.

Good? Need I say more??!

Sod what people say about the weight and style and fabric, buy it.

Nick
 TobyA 15 Feb 2006
In reply to nickinscottishmountains: Nick - have you found the pertex starts feeling thinner and less wind resistant as the shirt gets older? Perhaps I washed mine to regularly! My Big Face shirt did similar amounts of use but by the end of its natural life I found that I was more and more putting a pertex windshirt over it for scottish stuff.
In reply to TobyA: Hi Toby, No, haven't had that problem. Only sign of wear and tear is some of the pile is getting a wee bit thin.
Father Faff 15 Feb 2006
In reply to TobyA:

You wash them??? I had my first one for about 10 years and never washed it (still have it actually for doing gritstone jamming in winter). Now have a newer one for more civilised night-time mountain biking in winter etc.
grizzpup 15 Feb 2006
In reply to kevster747:

As previously posted on this forum. If you are a warm body like me, they are death by slow boiling. They do not vent enough for fast moving stuff. It has to be minus lots. Rab vapour rise, marmot driclime etc... are better for those who run hot with a belay jkt for belays!?

I use powerstretch over lifa with a vapor rise jkt in all sorts of winter condtions. Recently wore this combo for climbing on Triangle du Tacul with a still air temp of -26C at the Midi station. Use similair with and withour powerstretch all the time in the cairngorms with schoeller trousers.

Yes buffalo / montane can be passed on to your kids but it has significant drawbacks as well.

I stand by to be berated by the buffalo mob!!

jimybob 16 Feb 2006
In reply to kevster747: Go outdoors have the Buffalo 6 shirt on their website for £79 and free P&P. I've just me one but now I think it may be to warm for me by other comments that have been made. I will give it a test this weekend and let you know.
tenchy 16 Feb 2006
In reply to grizzpup:
Have to agree with death by boiling. It does have to be COLD to waer one on the move. I last did soa few years ago going up Bow Fell just before new years, with snow ont ground. I roasted beyond belief.
Having said that, I always have one in my pack if I'm going somewhere parky like up the Ben in winter.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...