UKC

Winter Mountaineering Glenmore Lodge

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Castleman 23 Feb 2006
Hi all,

Just booked myself on the last place for the Winter Mountaineering course at Glenmore Lodge, 5th March. So, who are the others on it???!
Hoping that we can progress to doing a lot of ropework based stuff (verging on climbing) as wanted to go on winter climbing course, but that was full.

Mike
 AlXN 23 Feb 2006
In reply to Castleman:

contact george mcewan at the lodge. he'll give you the low-down. he posts here. do a search and you can email him direct.

Alex Purser 23 Feb 2006
In reply to AlXN:

Ah yes. You were at the lodge last week. So was I.
I was tempted to stand up at dinner and ask if Astral Highway was about after seeing you name in the log on bar on the computer. Which course were you on?
 AlXN 23 Feb 2006
In reply to Alex Purser:

performance winter climbing.. you?
Alex Purser 23 Feb 2006
In reply to AlXN:

Winter mountaineering. It was enjoyable, useful, but didn't really stretch me like I was hoping it would. I should have gone on one of the climbing courses, but having a relaxing week was also good.

I don't think I met anyone on your course, that I rememeber anyway. Who was your instructor?
 AlXN 23 Feb 2006
In reply to Alex Purser:

hannah burrows-smith. it wasn't an instructional course, just climbing for two days to get a taste of technical 6.

Alex Purser 23 Feb 2006
In reply to AlXN:

Cool. You wern't by chance the beardy bloke with the dog were you? I only saw him on two days there.
OP Castleman 23 Feb 2006
In reply to Alex Purser:

Alex, that sounds exactly how I think this week might turn out. It'll be good to go over core skills though (having not really done anything in real winter conditions for a few years now!).
Looking forward to it!
 AlXN 23 Feb 2006
In reply to Alex Purser:

no beard, no dog.

there were quite a few bearded folk there, but not on the seminar. most were ukmltb or something.
Alex Purser 23 Feb 2006
In reply to AlXN:

The bloke in mind was awesomely rugged looking. Had a home-made, breathable waterproof pouch for his ponytail. And you could just tell that after another 15 pints he was going to walk home over Cairngorm.
Hero.
Alex Purser 23 Feb 2006
In reply to Castleman:

Going over stuff only takes a day really, but we went over it a few times, so took much longer. As a consequence, I feel well trained and informed, just not as stretched as I was hoping. My instructor even said I should've done the climbing course, whenever I made a "Nah, let's not bother with the gulley. That buttress over there looks like more fun..." comment.
Considering my supposed ill health though, I'm glad I did the more relaxing course.
Also, conditions. We got out on the hill every day, whereas one of the climbing courses resorted to dry tooling that thing in the car park as they thought nothing would be in good enough nick.
Ossian 24 Feb 2006
In reply to Castleman:

Whatever you do remember to be vack for tea and cake at 4:30!
 'Hilda' 24 Feb 2006
In reply to Castleman: I was on the Winter Climbing course in January - I had a great time - and as the only person ony my course had an instructor all to myself for a whole week!
tmh 24 Feb 2006
In reply to Castleman:

I did winter mountaineering a few years back and we ended up split into two groups, one more hardcore than the other (I was non-hardcore!). If you get the feeling after the first couple of days that you're not going to be stretched, it's probably worth having a word with your instructor - I'm sure they'd try and accommodate it somehow, from my experience they're all very focused on making sure the students get the most out of the course.
OP Castleman 27 Feb 2006
In reply to tmh: Thanks tmh, I'm looking forward to it!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...