UKC

About to Buy Rucksac - Help

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
stuartgmilton 06 Mar 2006
Hi, I am about to splash cash on a new backpack. It is going to be used for multiday walks, and when I say multi day, I mean 2-3 before hitting civilisation again.

I have looked at the Osprey Exposure 50 and quite like the feel, but is it strong enough for carrying tent, pans etc. What other packs would you recommend.

Anywhere between 50 & 60 is what I'm lookinbg for.

Stuart
Chris Tan Ver. XLVIII 06 Mar 2006
In reply to stuartgmilton:

I have a TNF lodestar 60 that I used for many multiday trips - 2 compartments, side bellows, very comfortable with a heavy load.

Battered knees and new job forces sale. Email me if you're interested
almost sane 06 Mar 2006

Most rucksacks now are strong enough to survive a three day walk.

I suggest you get a big holdall. Place all the stuff you will take on your walk in the holdall (including food, water, fuel for your stove, etc - the whole shebang).
Go to your local outdoor shop when they will be quiet (early Saturday, or during the week but not at lunchtime).

Explain what you want.
Try lots of rucksacks to see if they will hold your stuff. I find that different manufacturer's 50 litre rucksacks hold different amounts of stuff. Think also about how easy it is to get everything in, and how easy it is to get access to stuff once inside. Think about striking camp in the rain - you want everything in with minimal fuss.

Once you have found rucksacks that wil take your stuff, try them on with the stuff inside. Is the sack comfy? Does it feel right?

Choose from amongst the ones that take all your stuff and that feel right on you.
Consider: side pockets and a zippered lower compartment make it easier to get at your stuff, but add to the weight you are carrying.
Consider: I have a rucksack with a straight side access zip. Never used it.
Consider: my rucksack has a daisy chain. The only thing I have used it for is to hang wet socks out to dry. Added weight, no added benefit.

You usually need to trade weight against convenience against price.

Enjooy!
 UKC Forums 06 Mar 2006
This thread was started in the wrong forum and has now been moved.
Please could you try and post in the correct forum, it makes life easier for both users and moderators.

Forum descriptions - http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/info/forums.html
 Craig Geddes 06 Mar 2006
In reply to stuartgmilton: Osprey are generally pretty tough sacks with a good solid back system. I can't comment beyond that though as I haven't got my hands on this particular model.

Many shops have weights on hand and will let you try the rcuksack laoded if you haven't done so allready?

I don't know how much trecking you've done by the way Stuart but I would have trouble fitting three days kit and food into a 50L unless I was to invest in a few skinnier items than I currently use or was treking in quite a warm clime.
 Ri 06 Mar 2006
In reply to Craig Geddes: depends how smelly you mind being really
 Craig Geddes 06 Mar 2006
In reply to Ri: I don't mind being smelly so long as everyone else is to. But I object to getting hungry!
pooh 06 Mar 2006
In reply to stuartgmilton: Apart from my day sacs (which are Camelbak's as I do a lot of biking) all my other bags are Osprey's. They are very good hard wearing bags and comfortable. I've had one of them for years it's seen all kinds of abuse and it's still going strong. Plus when I did have a very minor query about my crescent 85 bag, I must say they their overseas office and the UK office were very helpful.
D Cumming 24 Mar 2006
I have the Osprey Ceres 50. 3/4 years old it seems a very similar spec to the Exposure. Doesn't have the moulded hip belt but has always been comfy (several reviews seen suggest as comfy without moulding) Flat back panel can get VERY sweaty but love sculpted shoulder straps. Volume very adjustable. Site well under load and is stable. Have been very pleased with this for 3/4 day trips. I do a 4-day trip every summer in the Lakes and have been OK with this in rain and heat (you do have to think about which pasta and rice you want so that you don't have to carry the water as well!) Will be excellent for Alpine hutting trips to several days as well. Make sure that you get the right back length!!
nb290 24 Mar 2006
In reply to stuartgmilton: if you want a slightly bigger pack, I have an Arc'teryx Bora 65 for sale.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...