UKC

Problem with Petzl head torch

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mr. Lee 10 Mar 2006
I've got a Petzl Tikka Plus head lamp. It generally works fine, however, sometimes when I try and switch it on it just flickers when I hold my finger on the 'on' butter and turns off as soon as I release it. It only does this following extensive use when I have subsequently switched it off and then tryed to switch it back on. Next day it'll be working fine again. Has anybody else had this problem? Anybody know what the cause is? Wondered if it might be the cold.
palomides 10 Mar 2006
In reply to Mr. Lee:

Change the battery, check the battery contacts for any gunk, and if you suspect it's temperature related then stick it in the fridge for a couple of hours to find out how reproducible the problem is. If the thing got wet recently then maybe try taking out the battery, wash inside with demineralised water then leave to dry for a few days.

Reports of intermittant faults are really hard to deal with, so it's worth your while trying to find the exact conditions that cause the fault before sending it back.
 Craig Geddes 10 Mar 2006
In reply to Mr. Lee: I found with my normal Tikka that they had designed the battery compartment a little oversized and that it would randomly cut out or flicker when the batteries shifted - I wad of blue tack inside the battery compartment to reduce volume and hold the batteries in place worked wonders. It COULD be (unlikely though as they probably fixed this for the Plus) that you have the same problem? It's certainly worth a try. Another option is slightly coroded contacts - try lightly cleaning them with wire wool.
NickMoore 10 Mar 2006
In reply to Craig Geddes:

Or a fibreglass pencil from Maplin.
 Jim V 10 Mar 2006
In reply to Mr. Lee: How old and how used is it? Often manufacturers are keen to see products which have 'gone wrong' as it aids product development. Obviously if it is well old they may just turn around and tell you its knackered.

Jim
 TobyA 11 Mar 2006
In reply to Mr. Lee: Mine sometimes flickers. I find the classic solution of hitting it seems to stop it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...