UKC

Winter trip report. Storen in Norway

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Toby_W 23 Mar 2006
OP Toby_W 23 Mar 2006
OP Toby_W 23 Mar 2006
and please excuse my less than polished writing skills.

Cheers

Toby
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 23 Mar 2006
In reply to Toby_W:

Cracking stuff, inspirational!

Chris
 McGus 23 Mar 2006
In reply to Toby_W: i doff my cap to you!
 Caralynh 23 Mar 2006
In reply to Toby_W:

Great report Toby, really good to read!
 Castleman 23 Mar 2006
In reply to Toby_W:

Congratulations and a very inspiring read. A great report, hope I can get up to that sort of level within not too long!
 Wil Treasure 23 Mar 2006
In reply to Castleman:

Maybe should be an article on here?

Nice one.
OP Toby_W 23 Mar 2006
Cheers everyone, I was a little nervous posting it so thanks for the encouragement.

Cheers

Toby
 Morgan Woods 23 Mar 2006
In reply to Toby_W:

Great TR and photos....esp since it's more of an out of the way destination.
Simon22 23 Mar 2006
In reply to Toby_W:

Nice article, I have been there is summer and thought it was great. Really must learn to ski and go back in winter!
 KeithW 23 Mar 2006
In reply to Toby_W:

Fantastic article & photos Toby. Don't be modest about your writing skills; you're better than most climbing magazine writers.

(BTW, what was the drink you bought at the first stop on your way back?!)
OP Toby_W 23 Mar 2006
In reply to KeithW: I think it was some sort of fizzy apple drink. I was slightly concerned it was called cider but Anders assured me it was grape and apple. I really wanted lemon iced tea but beggers....
2 litres and I still didn't pee until 8pm that evening.

Cheers Keith.

Toby
 KeithW 23 Mar 2006
In reply to Toby_W:

> 2 litres and I still didn't pee until 8pm that evening.

Now that was too much information... :O
 Erik B 23 Mar 2006
In reply to Toby_W: so tell me what you personally think mountaineering is
OP Toby_W 23 Mar 2006
In reply to Erik B: Personally?
Dictionary: climbing, walking or skiiing up a large hill.
For me, Solitude (and the company, no sense I know) and the scenery when I feel I can't drink enough of it in.

Finally, often being a bit of a coward it's about being commited and having no choice but to be as good as you can be without the mental baggage of a safe ledge, easy escape or guidebook certainty.

In fact scrub all that, it's fun in the mountains.

Now I think I've had quite enough of being embarassingly open and frank. Time to go back to lurking and posting in trivial arguments

Cheers

Toby
OP Toby_W 23 Mar 2006
In reply to Erik B: You have some great photos by the way.
Cheers
Toby
 Erik B 23 Mar 2006
In reply to Toby_W: you seem unsure, perhpas you are one of the UKC masses who doesnt know what mountaineering is! thanks for the photo compliment, your report is interesting, Norway in winter really does take some beating.
Anders Spilling 23 Mar 2006
Great report Toby! And what a great trip we had. If any of you english climbers fancy some Norway info then just send me a mail. Storen is great both in the summer and winter. The ridge in the summer is magnificant and doable for anyone who are comfortable grade 3+ climbers (Severe) and prepared to sit out some bad weather

TobyA 24 Mar 2006
In reply to Toby_W: How hard is the actual climbing Toby? Can you give us a rough Scottish grade just so we have some sense of the difficulty beyond the cold and distances involved.
 dek 24 Mar 2006
In reply to Toby_W: Toby, have no worries about your writing skills! really enjoyed that, and so well illustrated, well done cheers!
OP Toby_W 24 Mar 2006
In reply to TobyA: I've done very little of this type of climbing and suspect this made it feel a lot harder for us.

The initial snow slops felt very exposed but were of similar steepness to Scottish grade 1 possibly 2 gully routes I've done. Most people who've done Scottish stuff would romp up this, perfect neve although the first time was deep loose snow.

The scrambling to the climb was just exposed but not difficult, maybe I-II scramble grade with ice in places.

The climbing proper, rock grade is about S perhaps HS with ice I'd grade at about 3 - 3+ french but only short sections.

I hope this gives an idea towards the Scottish grade, we're fair rock climbers (used to be better but VSish) and good ice climbers (V-VI) but I think our lack of time on mixed made it feel much harder.

You could escape the route from a number of places.

We had perfect conditions

In the summer I think the time from the shelter is about 6-7 hours.

Better planning of food and fuel and longer to ski in would make it easier.

Hope this is useful.

Thanks for all the positive comments as I said I was a little nervous posting this but wanted to share one of those moments we all think of while sat at work.

Cheers

Toby

TobyA 24 Mar 2006
In reply to Toby_W: Is the rock clear of snow? Or did you climb it with crampons on and using tools? Up in Lyngen we've found the rock tends to be really really crappy and it's much better to stick to the snow where possible.
OP Toby_W 24 Mar 2006
In reply to TobyA: Yes, there was slight powder snow on the climb in places but for the most part it was wind blasted hard snow and ice. The rock is excellent, like granite. We kept crampons on all the time but I let the axes hang a few times and went bare handed up one section.

Someone with better mixed skills would have found the climbing a lot easier I think.

The first time we went in winter though the top rock buttress looked like a wedding cake. On reflection I'm glad the weather closed in on us that time as we could have got into so much trouble (with a capital T).

Cheers

Toby
Simon22 24 Mar 2006
In reply to Toby_W:

Did you do anything else whilst over there?

I have always thought that the ridge going east from Storen to Gjertvasstind looks interesting!

For those interested in this area the following book looks quite good:

http://browse.uk-plc.net/Companies/Ripping_Yarns/products/Hurrungane.htm
OP Toby_W 24 Mar 2006
In reply to Simon22: Anders has done it in the summer and said it was fantastic (about severe grade with either a night out or long day). He posted above so people can mail him for further details.
He's planning to do one of the ridges west of the mountain this summer, beaufiful snow ridge that look like a less steep version of the top of the Frendo spur.

There were some detail on the link I posted at the bottom too.

The only down side is the weather can be attrocious. If you hunt through my gallery there are a few summer pictures from the east side of the mountain.

Cheers

Toby
 gimmer 24 Mar 2006
In reply to Toby_W:
Hi Toby,
The report is brilliant, really inspirational. Got any more in the pipeline?

Cheers,
Al
Dean 26 Mar 2006
In reply to Toby_W:

Excellent report sounds like a great trip. You are right - I wouldn't have liked the skiing.
Sounds to me like you of all people don't need to make any definitions - you've got out there and had an adventure - 'nuff said.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...