UKC

Manchester Climbing Centre

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
GreyPilgrim 24 Mar 2006
I'm about as much of a newbie as you'll ever get as was after some opinions of Manchester Climbing Centre from anyone who has experienced it. Been browsing their site and there are a couple of 'absolute beginner' courses running, and I'm awaiting info back on times.

Shots of the wall look good, but of course being a newbie, i have nothing to compare it to. A couple of other threads in this forum have been a little critical of one or two of the instructors, and of the routes....again being a newbie, the jargon means nothing to me.

This is an attempt to do something new and challenging (never been too fond of heights), to get into shape, and maybe introduce my daughter too. Any feedback of MCC - good or bad, or maybe any other venue around Manchester would be appreciated.

Cheers

Lee
 Tyler 24 Mar 2006
In reply to GreyPilgrim:

I've started a thread on here recently that some interpreted as being critical of the MCC but that was not the intention. If you read carefully I go on to say it's a great wall with friendly staff that I'd recommend to anyone. I can't comment on the value of their courses as I've never done one but it is an excellent wall and bears comparison with most others in the UK.
GreyPilgrim 24 Mar 2006
In reply to Tyler:

Hi Tyler, yours was the thread I was referring to as a matter of fact, and yeah I'm guilty of not reading all of the way through the thread (which I have done now). Thanks for the feedback...the centre has replied to a couple of questions and I'm going to venture down there at the end of the month.

Still interested in any other general opinions, if anyone has any though

Lee

Chapel John.J 24 Mar 2006
In reply to GreyPilgrim: Great wall, excellent staff, like Tyler cannot comment on their courses but try to avoid busy periods whilst you're getting the hang of things.

PS: Why not add your profile?

John.J

Cameron13 24 Mar 2006
In reply to GreyPilgrim:

MCC is fantastic... great facility and really good staff etc, I can recomend doing their intro course too if you want to feel safe while getting your head around the heights issue!

Gavin

GreyPilgrim 24 Mar 2006
In reply to Chapel John.J:

Profile added - got a cookies error at first but that seems to have gone. Intro course is about £60 which seems fine. I'm going to try and drum up support from a few mates and head down there at the end of the month, and I'll be looking at the kids classes for my daughter too. Have sweaty palms just thinking about it to be honest, but am looking forward to it at the same time.

Cheers for all the feedback guys, guess I'll see you there at some point?

Lee
 Chapel John.J 24 Mar 2006
In reply to GreyPilgrim: Well done, go fot it. You may soon be reversing the order of things and using the gym to complement your climbing...thats the right way round. Youngsters either love it or hate it and a lot depends on first experiences...best wishes and good luck to both of you. John.J
AndyArmstrong 30 Mar 2006

In reply to GreyPilgrim:

I've recently completed a beginners course at MCC. It was spread over three weekly sessions of 2 hours each and i can definitely recommend it to anyone who wants an introduction into climbing. Not sure how much it cost as it was a present but i felt very much at ease and found that the facilities and staff were excellent. Been climbing quite a few times since at MCC and considering about doing the leading course with them shortly.

Hope it goes well for both of you.

Andrew
 nicmac 01 Apr 2006
In reply to GreyPilgrim: Its one of the best walls in the NW. Nice cafe as well.
 Reaver2k 02 Apr 2006
In reply to GreyPilgrim:

Only been to it once but it was an awsome wall! Much fun, big walls, hard routes, although im pretty sketchy with long overhangs theres plenty of other routes, i say go for it!
Kinley 03 Apr 2006
In reply to GreyPilgrim:

Too expensive. Train at Glossop wall (£2.20), and join a climbing club and climb outside.
 SecretSquirrel 03 Apr 2006
In reply to Kinley:
The cafe is a bit pricey, but if you climb there regularly as a member I don't think the entry fees are that bad, not if you compare the facilities/price to those at other walls. Obviously if you want to hire the kit then it adds a few quid, but even that isn't particularly expensive.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...