UKC

Socks?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Lbos 03 Apr 2006
How many people wear a lining sock with their winter climbing boots?

The French guy in the ski shop gave me very odd looks when I took my winter boots off to get a fitting for some ski boots. I wasn't wearing two pairs with the ski boots- only one pair with them like you are supposed to.

I just thought most people wore 2 socks.
 KeithW 03 Apr 2006
In reply to Lbos:

Depends on the boot.

I wear one pair of very thick socks in my Sportiva Trango ice-climbing boots; because my feet don't move around in them. But I wear a liner in my Scarpa Mantas, because I use them for long mixed routes & winter walking; and my feet have to move a bit more.
 Lego 03 Apr 2006
In reply to Lbos:

Slightly off post: I used to wear 2 in my boots, until I was told (by a keen skier mate) this creates static build up between the pairs, which can lead to arthritis when I'm old - not sure I believe this, but it kinda makes sense and given the bashing my body has taken to date, I think I need all the help I can get.

Anybody actually have any factual info. regarding this?
 Arjen 03 Apr 2006
In reply to Lego: Sounds like BS to me...
Static problems only apply when things are dry, or at least not conductable. I don't know about your feet, but my mine are pretty sweaty so WILL conduct electricity without any problem.

Ontopic: I either use one pair of very thick socks (like smartwool or the like), or 2 pair - a thin synthetic 'base layer' sock with an ordinary cotton sock over it. Both work fine, I've never, ever had blisters.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...