UKC

Joe Brown

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Richard Smith 07 Apr 2006
Dose anyone know if Job Brown is still about?

I've just read his book 'The Hard Years', what a great climber; I believe he was still climbing into the nineties and his shop is where I got my first bit of gear when I was a small boy, one of his people gave me a small hex back in the 70’s.
 KeithW 07 Apr 2006
In reply to Richard Smith:

He was in the magazines recently, for the 50th anniversary of the Kangenjunga ascent. Looking well, I thought.
 lummox 07 Apr 2006
In reply to KeithW: still new routeing in Morrocco- saw him as he was mountain biking down into Llanberis a few years ago..
Clauso 07 Apr 2006
In reply to KeithW:

Kanchenjunga's all very well, but what's he ever done on grit?
 KeithW 07 Apr 2006
In reply to Clauso:
No apologies for repeating my favourite Brown quote:

Tall climber; "Eh, Joe, you're only short - how do you reach them holds?"

Joe: "Easy. I climb up to 'em."
 samwelli 07 Apr 2006
In reply to Clauso:

Mate, you have to do some serious homework!! JB is one of the dadys of grit. He played a major part in the developmnt of the scen in the 50's and 60's with some astounding ascents considering the kit available.....Hard years a must read.
Hugeos 07 Apr 2006
In reply to samwelli:

Are you sure your sarcasm filter is on?
 pdhu 07 Apr 2006

I saw him at Gogarth the summer before last, with just a cluster of moacs hanging off his faded canvas harness. He was with a few other gnarly old timers, and the lad I was with said it was like a scene from the film 'Cocoon'!
 samwelli 07 Apr 2006
In reply to Hugeos:

You never know with UKC....
Clauso 07 Apr 2006
In reply to samwelli:
> (In reply to Darren Jackson)
>
> Mate, you have to do some serious homework!!...

Okay, so he might have the odd ascent on grit to his credit... Let me put it another way, what's he ever done in North Wales?

samwelli 07 Apr 2006
In reply to Clauso:

apologies!
Clauso 07 Apr 2006
In reply to samwelli:

Never apologise to twits
 Marc C 07 Apr 2006
In reply to Clauso: Ok, he may have done a few climbs on grit and in North Wales, but what's he ever done
in Lumbutts Quarry? Not saying I'm a better climber (I'll leave that to UKC public opinion to judge) but I've done some of his routes (Cenotaph, Cemetery Gates, Sauls Crack etc), but has he ever repeated any of my climbs? I think that speaks volumes...
 Lizard 07 Apr 2006
If you enjoyed the hard years you really should now read The Villian- the chapters about the 'rock and ice' are great.
Hugeos 07 Apr 2006
In reply to Marc C:

Grit, North Wales and Lumbutts Quarry are all very well - but what's he ever done on indoor plastic?
In reply to Hugeos:
> (In reply to Marc C)
>
> Grit, North Wales and Lumbutts Quarry are all very well - but what's he ever done on indoor plastic?

Installed some sink units?

Yorkspud 07 Apr 2006
In reply to Marc C:

Lumbutts.....

One day I may go back!
 Marc C 07 Apr 2006
In reply to Lizard: The Villian? I preferred Jim Perrin's book about Don's father, The PaVillian
Clauso 07 Apr 2006
 Alan Stark 07 Apr 2006
In reply to Clauso:

p63 of Jim Curran's book, Trango - The Nameless Tower

Joe in all his glory except for sunglasses, bathing in a hot spring!
 KeithW 07 Apr 2006
In reply to Clauso:

> Indeed, and has he ever been witnessed/photographed in this sort of pose:

MODERATORS: In the name of all that's holy; can't you stop him posting this?
Clauso 07 Apr 2006
In reply to KeithW:
> (In reply to Darren Jackson)
>
> MODERATORS: In the name of all that's holy; can't you stop him posting this?

It's all right for you; I've got to tolerate it in my photo gallery...
OP Richard Smith 07 Apr 2006
In reply to KeithW: He is one of thoughs chaps that always do look fit and well, even at his age.
In reply to Lizard: I will look out for that book.
Clauso 07 Apr 2006
> (In reply to KeithW)
>
> He is one of thoughs chaps that always do look fit and well, even at his age.

Marc's only in his mid-forties! Don't write him off just yet. He's still regarded as something of a stud by the Blue Rinse Brigade of Todmorden.
In reply to PatEase: Ye but you must remember he, Don, Pete Harding ect laid the path to greater things on Rock! At his again he could out climb me.
 Marc C 07 Apr 2006
In reply to Clauso:
> Marc's only in his mid-forties! Don't write him off just yet. He's still regarded as something of a stud by the Blue Rinse Brigade of Todmorden.

LOL! Yeah, what's Joe ever done on the over 80s?
 A Crook 07 Apr 2006
In reply to PatEase:

Saw him on Gogarth a few years ago.

My mate who was following shouted up F**k me some bought thier grandad up here. needless to say joe found the funny side and my mate still baers the riddicule marks.
 the lbmmc 07 Apr 2006

that last post reminds me of when I was at Shepherd's Crag for the first time. this old boy in scruffy clothes went toddling past and I thought to myself "oh aye, some oldie's got a bit lost and wants to come and watch the climbers." Later I saw him soloing the climb 'chamonix' and making it look easy, which I didn't find myself when he was later watching me. Turned out it was Ray Mchaffie.
 newhey 07 Apr 2006
In reply to Marc C:
> (In reply to Darren Jackson) Ok, he may have done a few climbs on grit and in North Wales, but what's he ever done
> in Lumbutts Quarry?

Sorry Marc, I took a hammer and chisel to your favourite boulder on Wednesday evening. It was raining so much, so I needed a bit of help climbing the green slimy stuff.

sg 07 Apr 2006
 Dominion 07 Apr 2006
In reply to Clauso:

> Never apologise to twits

To who?

||-)
 Sean Kelly 07 Apr 2006
In reply to Richard Smith: He can be found in the Royal Vic on a Sunday night playing pool...and he did the plumbing in my house...
In reply to Gordon Stainforth: He looks in good health, do you have any lectures lind up on mountain photgraphy?
 Steve Parker 07 Apr 2006

Encountered him walking a Jack Russell around the slate quarries quite recently. Looked about as sprightly as the Jack Russell, though a little more likely to get up a jamming crack. Boy going strong by all accounts.
 The Lemming 08 Apr 2006

A very good mate of mine used to climb with him.

In those days men were real men.

Today we have youths using skin products and thinking that bouldering problems are nails.

Get a grip.

This bloke and his peers put their lives on the line with the most rudimentary pieces of kit.

Even today I aspire to do their routes.

Iain Ridgway 08 Apr 2006
In reply to The Lemming: There's a quote in Scott of the Antartic, about his attempt and death:

"It is proof that in the days of depressing materialism men can still be found to face known hardship, heavy risk, and even death, in pursuit of an idea.."

I think it's quite a timeless quote, and shows that misty eyed look at the past has gone on for generations.

Only recently we just found the source of the Nile, losing one explorer.
> (In reply to Gordon Stainforth) do you have any lectures lind up on mountain photgraphy?

No, nothing until the autumn now, and there's a big one at Rheged I think in January next year.
 Mick Ward 08 Apr 2006
In reply to Iain Ridgway:

Great quote.

Mick
OP Richard Smith 08 Apr 2006
In reply to Gordon Stainforth: I'll watch out for that.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...