UKC

Loja, near Granada. anyone been?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 StuM 11 Apr 2006
The little I have heard about this crag sounds very promising. has anyone been? is there local accomodation?

cheers,

Stu
 StefanB 11 Apr 2006
In reply to StuM:

I have been to the town of Loja, before I climbed, so I cannot tell you anything about the climbing, but the town is nice and the food is great.
It's a bit in the middle of nowhere though.
 John Cooke 11 Apr 2006
In reply to StuM:

Just come back from a trip out there!

Bird restrictions are in place at Lojos from Jan until May the 1st. Supposed to be ok climbing, one wall in particular with a number of 7's and a 6c. Didn't visit for the obvious reason so can't tell you what it's like for def.

One other crag in that area i can recommend is El Torcal. The place somewhat resembles Brimham although made up of limestone. The quality of the rock is excellent offerring good quality technical climbing on good bolts. Lots of grades from 5+ to 8b+

If you're into your 7s and above you may want to check out Arcodona, which is set in a mentally steep cave and where Bernabe Fernadez's 9a+ Oruja is. The problem with this crag is that the farmer keeps about 100 sheep and goats under it and the smell is appauling! Some awesome lines though!

Further North are places like Motril, Orgiva and Lanjaron. Orgiva's pretty chossy in it's most part however there are some good routes in the sixes and there's 1 7b+ which is pretty good, Lanjaron's quite the same. There are a few crags in Motril, One we visited was aweful although the other crags down in the valley looked good and pretty clean with some good looking lines.

There are a few topos and info online, i'll try and dig out the links later.
 John Cooke 11 Apr 2006
In reply to StuM:

Ah Stu! Just realised it's you! Will be down Dunnies tonight if you're about, can chat to you then about it... Will try and dig out those links later for you as well.

Inabit yo

John.
 Jay1403 11 Apr 2006
In reply to StuM:

Hi Stu, a guy called Michael Hunt, who posts on here, runs trips out there (in fact he's there over Easter).

His website www.mountain-house.co.uk

not sure if there is anything on Loja though.

OP StuM 11 Apr 2006
In reply to John Cooke:

Cheers for all the info John, didnt realise you were going out there. will probably see you down the wall before i go for a bit more info on accom. and cars and all the rest.

cheers mate,

Stu

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...