UKC

Outdoor Designs Alpine Bivy

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
PeterDK 11 Apr 2006
Have any of you tried the Outdoor Designs "Alpine Bivy"???

I think its a pretty good bargain but would like to hear your oppinion.
 CENSORED 11 Apr 2006
In reply to PeterDK: I've got a dozen that I supply to clients for certain activities, it may not have all the bells & whistles of some of the 'premium' brands, but it does exactly what it says on the tin.
 Little Brew 11 Apr 2006
In reply to PeterDK: remember playing with the one that has the pole in the entry at lastyears Escape 2 tent show, and i pitched a lot of tents that day, but seen to remember it being ok, but only from pitching it, not used it, slept in the big comfort tent that night im afraid, but seemed light weight enough, and packed down well.

Jess.x
 Green Porridge 11 Apr 2006
In reply to PeterDK:

Ive just bought one from Outside, so havent had a chance to use it yet. It seems pretty reasonable quality, not fancy, but packs small, and is pretty lightweight. Zip goes round the edge at the top (crocodile opening) rather than across the top, a foot down from the end, like on other models. It seems of reasonable quality, only thing I'd say is that the non-breathable groundsheet bit on it feels a bit flimsy, but if it were tougher, it wouldnt be as light, would it? Im sure it would be fine, particulalry once it is on a roll mat. I also like the glow in the dark zip-pulls! Any specific questions, I'll do my best to help, just ask.
PeterDK 11 Apr 2006
In reply to CENSORED:

Im glad to hear that, but exactly what kind of bells & whistles to you refer to?

Is the alligator style opening good/bad?
PeterDK 11 Apr 2006
In reply to Green Porridge:
It was exactly that web offer on outside that got me interested.

The lower fabric being flimsy just sounds like the weight is right as you say

About the upper fabric. Its some kind of goretex right?
In reply to PeterDK:

Well, I mean it doesnt have any poles/needless accessories. It is a bag with a zip in the end and that is pretty much it.

Alligator opening:
Seems like it would work quite well.... If the weather was good and you were intending on having it open, then obviously you wont have anything over your head, but if the weather were ming, I can concieve you could have it open a bit and not have rain come in (you can have the top overlap the bottom - sort of hard to describe). I imagine it would be better in ming weather. I must confess to not having that much experience with bivy bags, but I am happy with this - seems quite good value for your £90.

There certainly doesnt seem to be anything glaringly wrong with it or any major design flaws. I should also say it comes in bight red, with a black base rather than the orange in the picture on outside!

Tim
In reply to PeterDK:

The label sewn on it has it as "Exchange Lite" "Air permeable gore-tex". It feels fairly similar to the eVENT my lowe alpine jacket is made from - and more robust than my paclite trousers.

Tim
PeterDK 11 Apr 2006
In reply to Green Porridge:

//and more robust than my paclite trousers

Ok, very nice to know. Thank you very much - you have helped me alot. Think Ill go for it.
In reply to PeterDK:

No problems! The backing on the top has that eVENT/ GT XCR kind of feel, it's only the groundseet that feels flimsy - indeed, that feels a bit like paclite!

Tim

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...