UKC

Dyneema and WD40

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TRJ 20 Apr 2006
Is it true that the two don't mix very well? And if I can't use GT85, WD40 etc., what's the best way to look after my cams without causing any damage?
Rob Reglinski 20 Apr 2006
In reply to TRJ:

cam lube
made by metolius

lube up
Rob
OP TRJ 20 Apr 2006
In reply to Rob Reglinski: Cool, thanks
 54ms 20 Apr 2006
In reply to TRJ:

I hang them up and spray the WD40 downwards, then wipe them clean. The WD40 is great for getting dirt out as well, just keep it away from the sling.
 pottsworth 20 Apr 2006
In reply to TRJ:
Probably also worth using the straw to reduce collateral spraying....
maybe also wrap the sling in a bit of cloth to stop spray rebounding back onto it
MC 20 Apr 2006
In reply to TRJ: man milk
 CurlyStevo 20 Apr 2006
In reply to TRJ:
I read one article on cam care which said don't worry if WD40 get's on your slings!

Personally I'd avoid it where possible. However I find whatever lube you use it transforms to grey and transfers partially to your slings. Can't be good for them but I also doubt it's a major problem!

Stevo
 54ms 20 Apr 2006
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Keep spraying it in, working the action of the cam, wipe of and repeat. If you have older non anodized cams you really notice how much cleaner they look. If you wipe them well, no reason it should end up on a sling. I've taken some decent falls on them since, so either I didn't get any on them or it has no effect.
 Martin W 20 Apr 2006
In reply to TRJ: AFAIK Metolius cam lube is the same stuff as teflon bike lube available from your friendly local bicycle shop. I suspect it has many of the same lubricants and volatiles as WD40.

According to this caving booklet: http://www.draftlight.net/lifeonaline/ dyneema is not damaged by lubricants such as WD40 (see page 18 of the download). Some people actually recommend spraying WD40 on slings to stop them freezing in winter!
 CurlyStevo 20 Apr 2006
In reply to Duncan_S:
I do wipe them well, do you not find you get grey dirty build up on the springs of your cams over time, this build up must contain some residues of the lube (and smells like it does), some of this transfers to slings I find!
 The Lemming 20 Apr 2006
In reply to TRJ:

Silicon spray from any car shop. Works excellent on carbinas as well.
 54ms 20 Apr 2006
In reply to CurlyStevo:

All my older slings are slightly grey, so had not put it down to the lube, just dirt from climbing.
 54ms 20 Apr 2006
In reply to TRJ:

However that cam lube is not to pricy, so may have a go. Just checked Needlesports and they have it, so if you want to save a few quid postage...

Anyone know of any problems putting it onto cam which have already been treated with WD40? Any good way to remove any build up before application?
 The Crow 20 Apr 2006
Look up the rope material testing on the UIAA site.

Ah bollocks I'm bored so I'll help out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyneema and http://www.dsm.com/en_US/html/hpf/home_dyneema.htm Maybe I should do a FAQ article on the subject?

Basically it's not true, petroleum spirits don't adversely effect rope/sling materials since they are veryresistant to such solvents. I read a while ago that rope testing of nylon ropes soaked in petrol showed no reduction in strength.

The killer with ropes and slings are battery acid leaks/contamination (which damage the polymer) acid damage has been linked with a couple of fatal incidents in the UK.

Basically spray with impunity, but don't overdo it. Too much will just attract dirt particles into the sling/rope which may abrade slghtly and oily ropes don't handle well.

3:1 (or GT85) will work better than WD40 anyway as they are lubricants whereas WD40 is primarily a water dispersant. Cam lube is a rip-off but comes in a nice bottle.
 Martin W 20 Apr 2006
In reply to Duncan_S:

> Anyone know of any problems putting it onto cam which have already been treated with WD40?

Can't imagine why there should be any, unless the cam is already gunged up with stuff that's stuck to the WD40.

> Any good way to remove any build up before application?

Err...go deep water soloing wearing harness and full rack? More seriously, I can't see that a toothbrush and some warm soapy water could do any harm.
 CurlyStevo 20 Apr 2006
In reply to Duncan_S:
To properly clean a cam, use pure soap flakes in warm water and an old unwanted toothbrush.

Stevo
 54ms 20 Apr 2006
In reply to Martin W:

I was wondering since one was a wet lube and the other dry, if the existing WD would negate the adantages of the posher lube. Use the toothbrush and soap method when the gear is muddy, but as WD40 repels water, I didn't think it would be that good at getting it off.
 Martin W 20 Apr 2006
In reply to Duncan_S: WD40 is basically a light oil. Soap is a detergent. Go figure.
 54ms 20 Apr 2006
In reply to Martin W:

Thanks Memory of GCSE floods back. Like I said on the other thread, not always to up on why things happen, but like to know what I should do. Should have worked that out though, see in action every time I wash up!
 den2k6 20 Apr 2006
In reply to Duncan_S:
But the soap will allow the water to emulsify the oil in the WD40 and lift it off.
Like when a greasy pan repels water, if you use fairy it comes right off.
 Martin W 20 Apr 2006
In reply to The Crow:

> Maybe I should do a FAQ article on the subject?

Do, it is one of the perennially-recurring subjects.

I believe one of the BMC technical booklets has similar information about what damages what but I don't have any of them to hand to check.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...