UKC

Cliffhanger

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Frank4short 22 Apr 2006
Starting now on ITV. As Kenny our resident film critic descirbes it the perfect action film. Just ignor your sense of climbing reality.

Also has one of the funniest scenes ever. Watch the old guys face as she drops to her death from the tyrolean. He's laughing.
 Marc C 22 Apr 2006
In reply to Frank4short: I love the opening sequence (missed Pa Walton laughing!). But don't quite understand why the Michael Rooker character is bellowing at Sly "Don't Gabe, it's not rigged for two, wait for me to get my harness" (or something like that)?
 Kenny 22 Apr 2006
In reply to Frank4short:

how long before someone points out (with no references or real evidence) that EVERY PENNY made by Cliffhanger, goes to Black Diamond, cos of the harness breaking scene being somehow libellous?
and sidestepping those difficult issues such as "why did they even bother releasing it on DVD or anything"

the plane-to-plane transfer is astonishing.

However there's a daft film on C4 with Rose "designer slut" MacGowan, Peter "ham and booze" O'Toole, Ben "Ben Affleck" Affleck, and Joanna "absolutely beautiful, why isn't she a proper star? must be that surname" Going. Yes, Joanna Going. It's on about now. It's called Phantoms. Joanna Going is in it. She is absolutely beautiful, so this will be a good film.
 Kenny 22 Apr 2006
In reply to Frank4short:

my goodness frank. ididn't realise it was you! seriously.
so...can you point us toward any evidence regarding the BD thing? I am quite sceptical about it but am open to being convinced, if you can do a good job. it doesn't make sense though. many companies have been depicted in worse light than this without making a fuss
 Marc C 22 Apr 2006
In reply to Kenny: Pretty lady, but film any good?

http://www.sptddog.com/sotp/josie.jpg
 Kenny 23 Apr 2006
In reply to Marc C:

doubt it. Dean R. Koontz "horror" adaptation. Ben Affleck. Peter O'Toole. Rose MacGowan. Take a guess
OP Frank4short 23 Apr 2006
In reply to Kenny: Appears you could be right nothing about it on IMDB. Putting cliffhanger into Wikipedia gives about 800 answers.
 Marc C 23 Apr 2006
In reply to Kenny: Think 5 minutes viewing it has convinced me not to waste more time!
 Kenny 23 Apr 2006
In reply to Frank4short:
> (In reply to Kenny) Appears you could be right nothing about it on IMDB.

aye but imdb.com isn't the font of all knowledge. there's loads of interesting trivia about so many films, a lot of it doesn't get put up there. I'll see if I can narrow down wikipedia and mabe snopes too (as I've heard this tale from people other than yourself)

In reply to Frank4short: yeah just seen that no sign of said rumour there or snopes.
 Kenny 23 Apr 2006
In reply to Frank4short: there's some interesting on the imdb trivia page, some stuff that's been added since I last looked.
it gives us this, which may finally put the lie to the rumou (though as I said, imdb is not 100% correct, they in turn don't back up their comments...)
"The credits include a message which explains that the Black Diamond harness used in the opening scene was specially modified so that it would fail."

love the multiple roles for Ron Kauk
http://imdb.com/title/tt0106582/trivia
 Kenny 23 Apr 2006
In reply to Frank4short: hey Frank - again no offence, but as you've mentioned the Cliffhanger thing before, with some conviction, I have to ask where you heard it? Was it "a mate, down the pub, who knows stuff", or perhaps in a really bad magazine like FHM?
In reply to Kenny: I like the one about Sly Stallone investing his own money to re-shoot the scene where the rabbit gets shot.
 Kenny 23 Apr 2006
In reply to Frank4short: It's nuts isnt' it. I believe it, sadly. No problem with all those people dying horribly (including the baddie shooting his girlfriend in the back at point blank range, just to make himself indispensable re: piloting the helicopter), or the kicking Michael Rooker in the face repeatedly etc, but the rabbit? Tsk. Can't be having that
 Al Evans 23 Apr 2006
In reply to Frank4short: I believe the cams failing scene at the start of K2 (was it K2 ?) was a case for legitature for Wild Country. It wasnt K2 was it, what was that really funny movie with the nitroglycerine etc.
In reply to Kenny: Heard the rumour a couple of times when i lived in cham off of some people who you would generally consider to be "in the know". I believed them they weren't your regular garden variety bullshiters. I know this doesn't make it true. I still believe some it is true maybe not the whole profit thing though.
 Kenny 23 Apr 2006
In reply to Al Evans: Vertical Limit. I don't remember a cam actually being seen to clearly "fail". I recall that one cam holds very well. The whole opening scene is a confusing mess anyway, and it's been a while. Do we see cables start to snap or something?

Again, most of these things tend to be settled in one-off undisclosed payments.

I honestly don't believe that Wild Country's business would suffer from one of their products being shown failing under ridiculous stress in an unrealistic scene in a fictional action film. They might lose some potential custom from people who don't know anything about anything, but climbers going out to buy some cams are not - I'd hope - going to think "oh I'll get DMM cos that Wild Country one broke in Vertical Limit".
 The Lemming 23 Apr 2006
In reply to Frank4short:

Just turnd on telly again. Love Cliffhanger but forgot about the bunny.

Does a rabbit bite the dust?
If so how does the RSPCA feel about it?
In reply to Kenny:
> I honestly don't believe that Wild Country's business would suffer from one of their products being shown failing under ridiculous stress in an unrealistic scene in a fictional action film. They might lose some potential custom from people who don't know anything about anything, but climbers going out to buy some cams are not - I'd hope - going to think "oh I'll get DMM cos that Wild Country one broke in Vertical Limit".

However I believe plenty of people might have said i won't buy a BD harness. With harnesses being alot less specifially technical than cams I'd say it could sway alot of potential climbers opinions.
In reply to The Lemming: See kenny's link to IMDB, explains the whole thing.
 Kenny 23 Apr 2006
In reply to The Lemming:
> (In reply to Frank4short)
>
>
> Does a rabbit bite the dust?

no. if it did it would have been faked anyway, and in any case the RSPCA would have no relevance to it. the BBFC might say something about it (see: rat in breathing fluid in The Abyss - you see it actually breathe liquid in the US release, this was edited out in the UK release). if any harm were done to an animal in a film like Cliffhanger, the American Humane Animals' Association would be down on them like a ton of bricks
 Kenny 23 Apr 2006
In reply to Frank4short:
> (In reply to Kenny)
> [...]
>
> However I believe plenty of people might have said i won't buy a BD harness. With harnesses being alot less specifially technical than cams I'd say it could sway alot of potential climbers opinions.

I see your point. But to be honest, having watched Cliffhanger quite a few times, I've never noticed what brand the harness is. Even when i've watched it having heard this rumour, I've looked to see what it is, maybe I did notice it was BD, but by the end of film I'd forgotten. I imagine most people are the same.

If I made a fictional film where a whole city died horribly because their Coca Cola poisoned them, I doubt it would affect sales of Coca Cola AT ALL.

Mattyk 23 Apr 2006
In reply to Al Evans: Don't confuse K2 wih vertical limit! That's the best climbing film ever... saw it on C4 as a kid and loved it. I was so pleased when i tracked down an old copy in some market in Derby! I love the buildering scene!
 The Lemming 23 Apr 2006
In reply to Mattyk:

rabbit now
In reply to Frank4short: I would love to find out where they find snow that's so easily walked on. Ridiculous climbing & climbing equipment inconsistenices aside.
 The Lemming 23 Apr 2006
In reply to Frank4short:

going all misty eyed

beutiful.
 Al Evans 23 Apr 2006
In reply to Mattyk:
> (In reply to Al Evans) Don't confuse K2 wih vertical limit! That's the best climbing film ever... saw it on C4 as a kid and loved it. I was so pleased when i tracked down an old copy in some market in Derby! I love the buildering scene!

Sorry which one is the best climbing film ever? I thought Vertical Limit was the funniest
peter pan 23 Apr 2006
In reply to Al Evans:
> (In reply to Mattyk)
> [...]
>
> thought Vertical Limit was the funniest

Have u never seen Clint strut his stuff in the Eiger Convention?? :O)
 Al Evans 23 Apr 2006
In reply to peter pan: Actually it was The Eiger Sanction, and I thought that was a great film and not as funny as Vertical Limit. Did you know Clint actually learned how to climb for that film and actually liked it, he led Yosemitie grade 5.7 before the producer put a stop to it.
 Kenny 23 Apr 2006
In reply to Al Evans:
> Did you know Clint actually learned how to climb for that film and actually liked it,

I thought Clint was new-routing in the late 1950s? The Eiger Sanction is a 1975 film. I imagine Clint wanted to do a climbing film, rather than The Eiger Sanction's producers particularly wanting Clint. It was pretty much a Clint 'vehicle'. Otherwise I'd have gone for Burt Reynolds or Jon Voight for such a film, in light of Deliverance...
 Mikey_07 23 Apr 2006
In reply to Frank4short:

You don't see her die...I think its all just a plot. In cliffhanger 2: Back The The Rockies, it'll all come out and Hal will be over the moon. Gabe won't feel guilty anymore and they might finally get off that damn ridge the government agents left them on.
In reply to Frank4short:

Such a shit film isnt it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...