UKC

gas/petrol Vs Meths and the environment

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Dr.Strangeglove 23 Apr 2006
since we are all so very concerned about the old global warming these days should we be ditching gas/petrol stoves and using meths based systems, even if it is a little slower?

Meths is mostly derived from bio-mass, so should be verging on the carbon
neutral. other sources of energy dont have this advantage, and certainly in the case of gas, comes in what I assume is quite carbon-costly packaging.
 tom.e 23 Apr 2006
In reply to Dr.Strangeglove: Rape seed oil is carbon-neutral and works in some multifuel stoves.
 happy_c 23 Apr 2006
In reply to Dr.Strangeglove: where does meths come from btw?
In reply to happy_c:
can be produced via fermentation (most of world production), but some is derived from fossil fuels so you would need to check.
In reply to tom.e:
hmm interesting, do you know which ones and how well?
(and how much it costs, I can get 25l of meths for £20)
 tom.e 24 Apr 2006
In reply to Dr.Strangeglove: Apparently it works in my Optimus Nova, but being similar to diesel, it requires more frequent cleaning. You can buy large drums of vegetable oil form Tesco for around 60p per litre.
 happy_c 24 Apr 2006
In reply to tom.e: dont you have to heat up vegetable oil first before it is flammable?
 Chris Fryer 24 Apr 2006
In reply to Dr.Strangeglove: The amount of pollutants produced by camping stoves is infintessimally small compared to that produced getting to the campsite and not turning down the heating at home for the time you are away. Not really worth worrying about.
Dr.Strangeglove 24 Apr 2006
In reply to Chris Fryer:
yeah was thinking that, still, thinking the gas cylinders maybe not the best.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...