UKC

does rubber lose its stickiness?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
guyaustin 28 Apr 2006
I dug out my rock boots and went climbing yesterday evening.
my feet slipped of a couple of times, the stickiness was all gone.
It could be my poor technique or does 5-ten rubber really lose its stickiness, and is there a way to get it back?

These boots are probably 3-4 years old and have sat in the back of a cupboard for 3 years ( I did use other boots in the mean time - but not much).

Guy
 NIGBEE 28 Apr 2006
In reply to guyaustin:

I have heard you are supposed to rub vaseline into the soles (not joke) rejuvinates the rubber apparently

have to say totally untested by me
Yorkspud 28 Apr 2006
In reply to guyaustin:

...on the bedpost overnight?
 Martin W 28 Apr 2006
In reply to guyaustin: Try spitting on the palm of your hand and rubbing the soles of your rock boots with it vigorously. The warming helps to soften the rubber a bit, and can help to dislodge any dust that may be sticking to it and preventing it from performing its best. I also find that washing my rock shoes (5.10 Ascents) - even in the mashing machine, on low temperature/gentle wash - revives the stickiness of the rubber a bit and makes them fit a bit more snugly.
 Jon Greengrass 28 Apr 2006
In reply to guyaustin: put them through the washing machine on cold cycle with a capful of dettol and a scoop of non-bio washing powder, they'll come out sticky as new
Ste Brom 28 Apr 2006
In reply to Jon Greengrass: the tiniest drop of washing up liquid followed by a scrub with a toothbrush. Rinse, voila.
Sharket 28 Apr 2006
In reply to Jon Greengrass:
> (In reply to guyaustin) put them through the washing machine on cold cycle with a capful of dettol and a scoop of non-bio washing powder, they'll come out sticky as new

how long did it take you to come up with that...

dettol!?
OP Anonymous 28 Apr 2006
In reply to guyaustin: Wash them in the machine. Coolest setting with a bit of powder inside them. Come out smelling fresh and the rubber is like new.
 Jon Greengrass 28 Apr 2006
In reply to Sharket: a moment, I am a Genius
Derbyshire Ben 28 Apr 2006
In reply to guyaustin:

>I did use other boots in the mean time - but not much

That could be the answer you were looking for.. bad workmen and tools and all that
Nao 28 Apr 2006
In reply to guyaustin:
I'd second what others have said about washing them - it seems to work for mine. If you have not worn them for ages they might be dusty?

Also initially I found that 5.10s are not that sticky (not as sticky as my Scarpas were) but it takes a while to get worn in.

Someone told me they initially have some kind of coating on that gets worn off. Not sure if that is correct though.
guyaustin 28 Apr 2006
In reply to Derbyshire Ben:
> (In reply to guyaustin)
>
> >I did use other boots in the mean time - but not much
>
> That could be the answer you were looking for.. bad workmen and tools and all that

Yes I do realise that that was why I asked if rubber does lose its stickiness. the answer may well have been "no your just not any good anymore"
But a quick cycle throught the washing machine may fix the shoes

Thanks for the tip.
 Al Evans 29 Apr 2006
In reply to guyaustin: Try DYLON dry stain remover, available from Woolworths or Boots, works a treat, otherwise try the sandpaper option (not as good) and you dont get to sniff the solvent.
guyaustin 29 Apr 2006
In reply to guyaustin:
I now have nice clean boots But....
Does anyone know how to clean 5-ten rubber off a washing machine.
 Al Evans 29 Apr 2006
In reply to guyaustin: Use Dylon

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...