UKC

Font and ticks (the insect kind) - warning for campers II

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Simon 01 May 2006
As the last thread was archived - I'm starting a new one..

I managed to get a tick in Font too and although I got the little bastard off & all seemed ok for a few weeks - this weekend - I feel totally washed out & the area round the bite has suddenly gone very red and angry (eeep!)

I know Jay H got Lyme disease & I've read up on ot a bit - from what I can see - just because you get an infection - it doesn't mean to say that you get lyme disease???

Any advice from experience would be gratefull - as usual if its me - then as luck normally dictates - I'm gona get tha lurgy!!

(if I had read Jay's 1st thread - I would have never gone into that Grass - doh!!)

cheers

Si
 CJD 01 May 2006
In reply to Simon:

when I spoke to the NHS people about mine, they said that the infection would show up as a rash, flu-like symptoms and aching joints pretty quickly, like within about forty eight hours of the tick biting. But that isn't necessarily definitive advice, as the woman I spoke to didn't sound like anyone had asked her about Lyme Disease before.

you might have got a head cold at the same time as getting a bit of an infection round the bite-hole. Hope it's nothing worse than that.
 Michael Ryan 01 May 2006
In reply to CJD:

Sorry about the delay on JayH's article. I'm trying to get to it this week when I've got a chunk of other work out the way.
OP Simon 01 May 2006
In reply to CJD:

I had a cold when I got to Font & the got the bite!

Have had a few headaches & felt V lethargic today - and am hoping thats because I've been pushing myself far too much with no rest & the little bugger has just caused an infection (His head was left in - I didn't see any of his legs like you!!)

Did you ring NHS direct btw?

Cheers

Si
 CJD 01 May 2006
In reply to Simon:

I did indeed, they were very friendly.

give them a ring. maybe they've got a quota of potential lyme disease sufferers to fill, and you'd be helping them out.
OP Simon 01 May 2006
In reply to CJD:

JUst rung them ta & they just said to go to the quacks 2morra & if feel any worse to gove them a call again.

Pretty much thought that may be the case!

Did you get the whole of your tick out? I think its head stayed in my led - grrrr.... little shit's!

Lesson - never go into grass in front unless you need to (and tuck your trous in your socks!!!

cheers

Si
 ebygomm 01 May 2006
In reply to Simon: Best speak to the doctors just to be on the safe side.

Ticks are nasty, nasty creatures, give me spiders and snakes over them any day.

Mind you I do enjoy telling some nice stories involving ticks when I feel like making the boys squirm.
 rock waif 01 May 2006
In reply to Simon:

> Lesson - never go into grass in front unless you need to (and tuck your trous in your socks!!!
>
Where do you go the loo then?

CJD 01 May 2006
In reply to Simon:
> (In reply to CJD)
>
> JUst rung them ta & they just said to go to the quacks 2morra & if feel any worse to gove them a call again.

I love their 'catch-all vagueness'
>
> Did you get the whole of your tick out? I think its head stayed in my led - grrrr.... little shit's!

I think so - my arm hasn't turned black and fallen off, which I'm thinking is probably a good sign...
>
> Lesson - never go into grass in front unless you need to (and tuck your trous in your socks!!!
>

what a splendid look

marie 01 May 2006
In reply to Simon:
> (In reply to CJD)
>
>

Leaves a delicate area exposed if you are wearing shorts though...
OP Simon 01 May 2006
In reply to rock waif:
> (In reply to Simon)
>
> [...]
> Where do you go the loo then?

In the toilet - where else!!!?? ;0)

Its definitely put me off for life going in the forest now - tick on me bum? - no thanks!!!

si
 Dominion 01 May 2006
In reply to marie:

> Leaves a delicate area exposed if you are wearing shorts though...

Depends on how long your socks are...

||-)
 S Andrew 01 May 2006
In reply to marie:

I don't understand.
 rock waif 01 May 2006
In reply to Simon: What toilet? Toilets in the bouldering areas at Font?? Never seen them. I am a girl, I can't just tie a knot in it.

marie 01 May 2006
In reply to rock waif:
> (In reply to Simon) What toilet? Toilets in the bouldering areas at Font?? Never seen them. I am a girl, I can't just tie a knot in it.
>
>

Could mention something about size but will refrain...
 rock waif 01 May 2006
In reply to marie: Go on
OP Simon 01 May 2006
In reply to rock waif:

Gite for number twos & carefull place now for number 1's!!

Wish I had read the article of Jays before going (well - if it was up - but then again - never had a tick & never thought I'd get one in font!!! ;0)

Si
 Trangia 01 May 2006
In reply to Simon:

Ticks - the insect kind. What other kinds are there? Apart from the opposite of tocks?
 CJD 01 May 2006
In reply to Trangia:

as opposed to chalk tick marks or ticks of problems in your guide book
 CJD 01 May 2006
In reply to Simon:
> (In reply to rock waif)
>
>
> never had a tick & never thought I'd get one in font!!!

and there was me helpfully posting threads not two weeks before as a warning to others! pah!

ebygomm 01 May 2006
In reply to Simon: there's worse places than your bum, ticks like warm, moist places. Where i used to work there was nothing that got the males racing to the toilets faster than the mention of somebody getting a tick on their unmentionables!

And one poor lad, asking some girls on advice for ticks proceeded to follow their instructions of putting nail polish remover over the tick. Trouble was he hadn't disclosed the exact location, which happened to be under his foreskin! Now I don't even have those bits but it still makes me squirm.
 CJD 01 May 2006
In reply to ebygomm:

ouchee!

like leeches - boys and their paranoia about getting leeches on their bits - I blame that scene in 'Stand by Me'...
 rock waif 01 May 2006
In reply to Simon:
> carefull place now for number 1's!!

Between un-used boulders then.

> Wish I had read the article of Jays before going (well - if it was up - but then again - never had a tick & never thought I'd get one in font!!! ;0)

I was just saying to someone how I had never heard of ticks in Font. Opened up my guidebook, and there one was. Little bugger had lain there squashed between the pages, only to fall out at the opportune moment.

S Andrew 01 May 2006
In reply to CJD:

Oh I dunno......
OP Simon 01 May 2006
In reply to ebygomm:
> (In reply to Simon)

>>which happened to be under his foreskin! Now I don't even have those bits but it still makes me squirm.

ewewwwwwwwwww!!! - well that puts things into perspective!!

better an ankle than there!!! ;0)

Si
 ebygomm 01 May 2006
In reply to CJD: I know of at least 5 different people who've had ticks on their bits so perhaps the paranoia is justified.
 CJD 01 May 2006
In reply to Rid Skwerr:

have you suffered from unfortunately-situated leeches? I know my twin bro has - he found a lovely tropical 'Timotei' pool in sri lanka whilst there with his girlfriend, dived in, and came out covered in the little buggers.
 CJD 01 May 2006
In reply to ebygomm:

eewwwww! I had one on my arm and that was bad enough!
 Tiggs 01 May 2006
In reply to Simon: My dog had a tick in his side, unfortunately the head got left in when it was removed and he ended up having surgery to excise the head.

Fingers crossed for you that its not Lyme disease, but best get it checked out by the doc and get the head cut out to avoid infection.

My first dog got a tick on his nose and it became huge with his blood. Ticks are horrible, horrible things.
 rock waif 01 May 2006
In reply to ebygomm: It's all that al fresco at Font, perfect use for a bouldering mat.
 Trangia 01 May 2006
In reply to rock waif:
> (In reply to Simon)
> [...]
>
> Little bugger had lain there squashed between the pages, only to fall out at the opportune moment.

That's pretty amazing, I have found they are very difficult to squash.

S Andrew 01 May 2006
In reply to CJD:

No. My ex got one in Kenya but it spat her out.
OP Simon 01 May 2006
In reply to CJD:
> (In reply to ebygomm)
>
> ouchee!
>
> like leeches - boys and their paranoia about getting leeches on their bits - I blame that scene in 'Stand by Me'...

My mates just been to India & said they god loads of leeches on them - and yep - 1st thing I thought of was that film & the kids faces! ;0)

Si
 ebygomm 01 May 2006
In reply to CJD: this was all in the USA though, I think ticks are easier to avoid elsewhere, and less nasty diseases to catch off them.

A frequent topic of conversation that was brought up was if you got a tick on your girly bits who would you get to remove it!
 CJD 01 May 2006
In reply to ebygomm:

ohhhhh but it's not the most alluring chat up line is it?

'excuse me, would you mind removing a parasitic insect from my genitals? oh, and whilst you're down there...'

ha haaaa!
 S Andrew 01 May 2006
In reply to ebygomm:
> (In reply to CJD) this was all in the USA though, I think ticks are easier to avoid elsewhere, and less nasty diseases to catch off them.
>
Is where Lyme Disease got it's name from. Place in Mass.

OP Simon 01 May 2006
In reply to Tiggs:
> (In reply to Simon)
>
> Fingers crossed for you that its not Lyme disease, but best get it checked out by the doc and get the head cut out to avoid infection.
>

bit late - cos think the huge red cirlcle on my ankle means I'm infected! And I did totally the wrong thing which was to burn it before (on advice from Sloper & his cigar!!) and the head got left in I think!

- yep ticks are truly babylon & have done well I suppose to avoid them up untill now!

cheers all - off to the Docs again the 2morra! boooooo!

si
 rock waif 01 May 2006
In reply to CJD: and I thought you were such a nice girl!

CJD 01 May 2006
In reply to Simon:

I was told to smother mine in vaseline to suffocate it.
 CJD 01 May 2006
In reply to rock waif:

I aim to please. I thought that would kill the thread but you are clearly hardier people than I reckoned on.

Glyn Jones 01 May 2006
In reply to Trangia:
> (In reply to rock waif)
> [...]
>
> That's pretty amazing, I have found they are very difficult to squash.

When they are alive I suspect that's true - depending on ow long it's been in RW's book it could eventually dry up (desicate?) it's exoskeleton would eventually collapse.
 Tiggs 01 May 2006
In reply to Simon: Oh dear - you should only take legal advice from Sloper.....

CJD 01 May 2006
In reply to Glyn Jones:

that's what bamboozled me about the one on my arm - I thought it was just a bit of dried blood, but then I tried to flick it off and it wasn't having any of it. I removed it with tweezers and its body didn't crush between the tweezer points.

all quite grim really.
 rock waif 01 May 2006
In reply to CJD: That chat up line did get me thinking! I will be *very* careful where I go in Font now.
 Glyn Jones 01 May 2006
In reply to Rid Skwerr: to quote from a website

It is a popular misconception that Lyme disease was discovered in the late 1970's in Lyme, Connecticut. However, medical literature is actually rich with more than a century of writing about the condition, although most of it has been published only in Europe.

The first record of a condition associated with Lyme disease dates back to 1883 in Breslau, Germany, where a physician named Alfred Buchwald described a degenerative skin disorder now known as acrodermatitis chronica atrophicans (ACA).
 CJD 01 May 2006
In reply to rock waif:

one slightly worrying thing is that mine had clearly got bundled up with the tent, and had jumped onto my arm as I passed the draped-out tent on the banisters on the way to the bathroom the day after I got back...
 rock waif 01 May 2006
In reply to Glyn Jones: I think it had been there a year. At least it did not leave a squashed mark on the pages.
 Glyn Jones 01 May 2006
In reply to rock waif: Nice!
 rock waif 01 May 2006
In reply to CJD:

at least it was a well travelled tick. no plebeian ticks for you than had not been further than the next boulder.

they are hardy little things. maybe they are a bit like cockroaches and will survive an atomic bomb too.
OP Simon 01 May 2006
In reply to CJD:
> (In reply to Simon)
> [...]
>
> and there was me helpfully posting threads not two weeks before as a warning to others! pah!

Never saw it unfortunately - soooo wish I had!

Hopefully peeps will be more aware now than I was anyhoo!

(only thort dogs got ticks! ;0)

Si
OP Simon 01 May 2006
In reply to Tiggs:
> (In reply to Simon) Oh dear - you should only take legal advice from Sloper.....
>
>

Actually - hard to think when I have EVER taken ANY advice from Sloper & why did I start then?!

Its supposed to be the worst thing to do apparently!

(figures! ;0)

Si
 The Crow 01 May 2006
In reply to CJD:
> Have you suffered from unfortunately-situated leeches?

Yes, a North American one made a little home in my butt crack and had a drinky-poos. I only noticed it when it started to swell up. I just let it drink its' fill then it dropped off. If that's gross then sorry

Thought about killing it but decided to let it live...
 marie 01 May 2006
In reply to CJD:
> (In reply to Simon)
> [...]
>
> and there was me helpfully posting threads not two weeks before as a warning to others! pah!

It was enough for me!

I checked myself and the kids like some sort of preening monkey each night...
 ebygomm 01 May 2006
Future tips: if you're walking through bracken, go in the front, that way you flick the ticks that live in the ends onto the people behind you as you brush past rather than onto yourself
 S Andrew 01 May 2006
In reply to Glyn Jones:

Nonetheless, it's where it got its name from. The wording wasn't accidental. Point is it's common enough in the States too.
OP Simon 01 May 2006
In reply to The Crow:

your cooler than me - I would have beaten its fkn brains out in a fit of hysterical rage!! & then burned the fker to death!! - mwu haha!!

;0)

si
 rock waif 01 May 2006
In reply to The Crow:
> (In reply to CJD)

> Thought about killing it but decided to let it live...

as a treat for it's next victim?
 ebygomm 01 May 2006
In reply to Rid Skwerr: and where was the point saying that it wasn't common in the states?
 S Andrew 01 May 2006
In reply to ebygomm:

OK. I'm really stupid. I might shut up now and get on with what I should be doing.
 CJD 01 May 2006
In reply to Rid Skwerr:

don't do that. you know you don't really want to.

do you want to catalogue 100 books for me instead?
 The Crow 01 May 2006
In reply to Simon:
> you're cooler than me.

I was never in any doubt. :oD

We discussed the matter and my mates thought that I should consider anything that found my butt attractive to be complimenting me...
 S Andrew 01 May 2006
In reply to CJD:

What are they? I've been working so hard I've read 4 Le Carre books in the last three weeks and I'm halfway through The Closed Circle.
I think I've plateaued for today anyway.
And now feel more like listening to Smiths than Therapy.
 Glyn Jones 01 May 2006
In reply to Rid Skwerr: No worries - just thought I'd post something of interest for the UKC intelligentia
 Tiggs 01 May 2006
In reply to The Crow: Judging by the tick my dog had on his nose, ticks don't drop off when they get full they just keep getting bigger and bigger like horrible greyish balloons.....
 CJD 01 May 2006
In reply to Rid Skwerr:
> (In reply to CJD)
>
> What are they?

oh just art books and kids books and dickens and other things that I'm not going to read in the foreseeable so I'm going to flog on amazon.

The Crow 01 May 2006
Hi Tiggs

xxx

I'm not advocating kindness to ticks...
 JayH 02 May 2006
In reply to Simon:

Hello there - mention ticks and up I pop like a bad penny.

Although I'm no medical expert, not that many GPs are when it comes to Lyme, either. So I'll merrily pontificate on what it sounds like to me.

If you have a round red rash around a tick bite, esp. if the centre is clearing, then you have the one and only sure-fire symptom of Lyme disease. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Mine came up 2 weeks after I got bitten, so any advice about it only showing up within 48 hrs is Horlicks, I'm afraid.

if you ignore all other advice, do ...
- take a photo of the rash. It might disappear v v quickly. And some GPs reckon that when the rash goes, the Lyme goes. Not always the case... and the photo may be the only proof or evidence that you are/were ill, as the blood tests are very, very unreliable.

- also, keep a symptom diary. Don't feel like a hypochondriac! It's important, esp. if you start getting loads of different symptoms. It's also the best way of keeping track of dates and symptoms, helps you spot cyclical symptoms, and is invaluable in spotting when you're getting well.

Other Advice
DO ask for a blood test anyway. Ticks transmit many other horrible diseases in addition to Lyme. It's wise to check you don't have them too (ehrlichia, babesiosis, tick-borne encephalitis, etc.)

DO do some research and work with your GP. I can help you find some reasonably credible peer-referenced medical journal articles if you like.

DO be aware that GPs' medical textbooks are woefully out of date as regards treatment. If you don't feel better with treatment, keep going back (and let me know, so I can forward you the info I used persuasively to get the proper treatment for myself).

If you feel you can request specific medication, ask for doxycycline, at least 300mg per day, for 28 days longer than your symptoms last (the spirochaetes that cause Lyme are good at hiding and lying dormant). But be aware that although this will kill the spirochaetes, it'll also make you feel crap, might make you sun-sensitive, get thrush, etc.). Sorry.

DO give me a shout. Drop me your phone number in an email and I'll call you in between Poppy's feeds, if you like.

Finally, DON'T be scared. Some folk only get Lyme mildly and get cured very, very quickly. Fingers crossed and get well soon, Simon.
 Jon Greengrass 02 May 2006
In reply to Simon: YOU MUST TAKE A PHOTO OF THE RASH BEFORE IT GOES AWAY.

if not your doctor will think you are telling tales
OP Simon 02 May 2006
In reply to JayH & Jon:

Cheers guys - just got back from hospital - been in infectious diseases all day after being studied and had 8 vials of blood taken from me & had an ECG etc. Consultant thankfully didn't want to keep me in & didn't think it was Lyme - but got to go every day to see developments.

I had 3 doctors, 3 nurses & 2 students all wanting to have a look & it seems I was quite a rare case!

At least I got mi own room & TV & the students were quite fit (always a silver lining ey!! ;0)

Cheers for the advice & I'll send ya an email Jay 2nite.

Cheers all

Si

PS - bloody fkn shitty ticks! grrrrr!! ;0)
 Pauline 02 May 2006
In reply to Trangia:

>
> Ticks - the insect kind. What other kinds are there?

the kind where someone has a nervous tick where they have a muscle that twitches or like people with tourettes.
We have a kid displaying ticks at the moment, but that is better than his uncontrolable behaviour when he doesnt have his tick!
 David Hooper 02 May 2006
In reply to Simon:
My GF passed on this site on Lymes if it is any help.

www.acponline.org/lyme/patient/diagnosis.htm
 ebygomm 02 May 2006
In reply to Pauline: nervous twitches etc are tics not ticks
 Sandrine 02 May 2006
In reply to Simon:

Hi Si! Hope it's just a little infection and that you will get well soon!
 Pauline 02 May 2006
In reply to ebygomm:
> (In reply to Pauline) tics not ticks

well... thank you for correcting my spelling! But you knew what i meant!

ebygomm 02 May 2006
In reply to Pauline:

> well... thank you for correcting my spelling!

No problem
OP Simon 03 May 2006
In reply to Sandrine:
> (In reply to Simon)
>
> Hi Si! Hope it's just a little infection and that you will get well soon!

Hi Sands!

thanks & yeah - i hope its nothing but a little inflamation from said babylon tick!

The doctors at work tho were well fascinated & had to go to a photography studio today after being seen for piccys!

..they had crap digi camera & of course I was on had to give tips!! ;0)

Hope you had a great time travelling?

cheers

Si

Sandrine 03 May 2006
In reply to Simon:

I did have a great time thanks! Seems like a lifetime away already!

Hey Si, will you write a poem tonight. Even a small wee one? Need cheering up.
OP Simon 03 May 2006
In reply to Sandrine:

you are kidding aren't you? - I've been in hospital & although I have been reading Bob Dylans autobiograhy in there - am not muchly in a mood for a poem fraid.....!! ;0)

...on the other hand - give me a min - where you wanting posting btw?

si ;0)
 Sandrine 03 May 2006
In reply to Simon:

I was not kidding as I know you do some great stuff when you're in trouble!

And I was right!
Anonymous 03 May 2006
In reply to Simon: I seem to remember hearing that the best thing for removing ticks is a little device you can get from vets. It is just a specially shaped bit of plastic that fit over the head and then you twist it to get the tick out. Apparantly they screw in. Might be worth getting to add to first aid kit before going on a trip to tick infested places.
 Jason Kirk 03 May 2006
In reply to Simon:

you might be better visiting a Vet than a doctor. they have more experience of dealing with ticks.

They sorted my dog out great when he got one!
 Jason Kirk 03 May 2006
In reply to Jason Kirk:

Plus I forgot to add if the Vet can't fix you he can put you out of your misery.
 Haggis 04 May 2006
In reply to Jason Kirk: I got a tick in Australia once and on numerous occasions in the UK & NI. I'm not sure the plastic tick-hook I got in Oz would work on the pinhead (and smaller) size ticks I see over here.
The Aussie tick was unsurprisingly very large (fingernail size) and tricky to remove from my head.
 Jon Greengrass 04 May 2006
In reply to Simon: what were they taking photos of, your rash?
Chibbin 04 May 2006
Good site for all things lyme...
http://www.oeghmp.at/eucalb/disease_overview_index.html

in particular for tick removal:
http://www.oeghmp.at/eucalb/prevention_tick-removal.html
sorry to spoil the fun but don't use petroleum jelly etc.

Niall.

Tiggs 05 May 2006
In reply to Simon: Hope you didn't watch House last night!
OP Simon 05 May 2006
In reply to Tiggs:

No - why? - Was it a tad grim by chance?

si
 Tiggs 05 May 2006
In reply to Simon: It involved a tick...
OP Simon 05 May 2006
In reply to Tiggs:
> (In reply to Simon) It involved a tick...

....and????
 Tiggs 05 May 2006
In reply to Simon: She got better.... once he found the tick
Chris Tan Ver. XLVIII 05 May 2006
In reply to CJD:

Advice on removal here
http://www.dogrescue.fsnet.co.uk/drn/pages/ticks.htm

and I won't post my leech annectdote.
 opalspark 10 May 2006
In reply to Simon:

Lyme disease is something you need to research and decide yourself whether you are suffering. You cannot rely on the medical advice given in the UK.

I run the website for Lyme Disease Action see
http://www.lymediseaseaction.org.uk
for more details.

Cheers

John
Dr.Strangeglove 10 May 2006
In reply to opalspark:
steady on.
 Jon Greengrass 10 May 2006
In reply to Dr.Strangeglove: He's no exaggerating.

My wife was infected last spring and two doctors she saw did not believe her, even after she had a positive blood test result come back. They did not know how to treat the disease effectively, so she had to look up journal articles on the most effective treatment to show to a sympathetic doctor.
 Jon Greengrass 10 May 2006
In reply to Simon: Do they know what was wrong with you yet?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...