UKC

running shorts (girly thread)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Sharket 04 May 2006
girls what do you wear to run in?

i'm just getting into it really though managed 5 km last night and wondered why i didn't go faster when i got back which was nice! I actually enjoyed it..

however i'm finding my knee length board shorts aren't too comfy for running in. Just wondering what others used/recommended for minimum chaffage or annoyance. I was thinking maybe some 3/4 leggings but they could be a tad hot?
 alj 04 May 2006
In reply to Sharket:

I run in pretty much anything depending on the weather and what's not in the wash!

Tracky bottoms
3/4 climbing shorts
Lycra running leggings
Board shorts

You could invest in some running shorts / leggings - not that cheap but pretty handy.

ETx
Sharket 04 May 2006
In reply to alj:

hmm, ok, they board shorts were fine but now its warm and sunny they're a tad hot...

by the by, you have climbing leggings??

i thought ronhills went out years ago
 alj 04 May 2006
In reply to Sharket:

I have Patagonia Serenity Pants (Yes I know they sound like something you have to wear once you hit 75 and your bladder isn't quite what it used to be).

They were a bargain in Snow and Rock about 2 years ago and they are SO comfy to climb in.

I also climb in a pair of E9 men's 3/4 legnth shorts which were £5 in Joe Browns last year.

My climbing attire is a combination of things that were VERY cheap and caught my eye whilst I was otherwise engaged looking at shiney gear!!
ceri 04 May 2006
In reply to Sharket: i run in my trusty ronhills in the winter, and just past knee leggings at the moment. I have a nasty suspicion they are going to get too hot, as it gets summery, so will either have to take up running in the dark, or invest in running shorts- probably of the lycra variety, cos i think proper runners shorts are very short- and despite my profile pic i dont dare wear such shorts to run around in this country!
 CarolineMc 04 May 2006
In reply to Sharket: I wear Ron Hills when it's cold, or an old pair of Rohan Goas which I also climb in. Switch to shorts in the summer. Got some old faithful Lowe Alpine walking shorts which aren't TOO short! When it's really hot though, I have some ultra lightweight Nike ones which I bought last summer cos it was just too warm to run in any of my other stuff. It was worth the cash - check the sale rails in JJB etc. C-:
Iain Ridgway 04 May 2006
In reply to Sharket: The missus wears 3/4 leggins, or running shorts.

Once you've run in running shorts you never look back.

They are all I wear now, much to the disgust of the soccer team, who aren't too happy with me in my short shorts.
 Little Brew 04 May 2006
In reply to Sharket: used to run it one of 2 pairs of leight weight nike/rebock cotton lycra blend shorts, but found if i ran too much the seams started to rum by inside leg. but a pair of lycra short covered in loose shorts worked for my mate.

Jess.x
Sharket 04 May 2006
In reply to Little Brew:
> (In reply to Sharket) but a pair of lycra short covered in loose shorts worked for my mate.
>

that's an idea, i have a habit of getting wedgies if i run in loose shorts which aren't comfy, but tight ones with loose over, winner.

Sharket 04 May 2006
In reply to CarolineMc:
> (In reply to Sharket) When it's really hot though, I have some ultra lightweight Nike ones which I bought last summer cos it was just too warm to run in any of my other stuff. It was worth the cash - check the sale rails in JJB etc. C-:

cool, will do thanks
Sharket 04 May 2006
In reply to All:

ok firstly thanks for all the advice, much appreciated

i've ordered some 'just below the knee' length leggings for hte time being which are super wicking or something liket hat so not too hot for the time being i think, may ahve to invest in something cooler in mid summer but i reckon for the time being they'll do.

um think they are Pearl Izumi Women's Chase Splice knicker (why they're called knicerks i can't fathom!) in case anyone wants to know.
 Crispy Haddock 04 May 2006
In reply to Sharket:

I wear Ronnies in cold weather or the outers of my MTB baggies in warmer weather. Running shorts are WAY too short and I find lycra too clammy.
 cathsullivan 04 May 2006
In reply to Sharket:

So far, I've only been running in Winter/Spring because I started in January. I've been wearing ron hills - sometimes with thermal long johns underneath when it's been really cold. Mind, I am nesh and run *very slowly*! It is getting a bit warm though, and so I was thinking about shorts but don't have any running shorts. I have got a few pairs of usa pro shorts that I used to do aerobics in - I'll probably try running in them.
 Jenn 04 May 2006
In reply to Sharket:

In the cold I wear 3/4 length trousers from sugoi (ace capri) that I got at Run and Become( http://www.runandbecome.com/html/clothing/womens_lycra_tracksters.htm ). I lke their non-clingy fit.

During the warmer months I wear running shorts by Nike. I normally never by anything by Nike, but these shorts seem to fit the bill. They have a loose lightweight wicking material on the outside and a lining so that you don't have to worry about your knickers bunching up. I however got them in the US and can't seem to find them here.
 Doug 04 May 2006
In reply to Jenn:
maybe its different for women, but (at least for me) running shorts are much more comfortable for running than other shorts once the weather gets warm enough for shorts (otherwise Ron Hills or similar)
 CarolineMc 04 May 2006
In reply to Jenn: Those Nike ones sound like mine! I got mine at Up and Running in Hyde - 0161 366 9191 C-:
 Jenn 04 May 2006
In reply to Doug:

Spandex ones always 'ride up' on me. Also - I run on the streets in central London - I get enough comments the way it is
 Jenn 04 May 2006
In reply to CarolineMc:

Oh cool - as I said I have been unable to find them in the UK.
 Jenn 04 May 2006
BTW - they have the shorts I was talking about in Sewaty Betty shops - just saw them there today. Not too sure about SB's outside of London though.
 rock waif 04 May 2006
In reply to Sharket:

I wear shorts or 3/4 length leggings. Whatever they are, they have to be in a wicking fabric or I end up hot, sweaty and horrible. I also have some lovely thigh length legging type shorts which are a bit more covered up than proper shorts

I don't really like pure running shorts as they often come with those big pants sewn in which go up your bum and are just uncomfy.

tbh I generally try to wear clothes that I won't get hooted at too much as I don't really like it. depends about the time of day I go running, and if it's really hot weather then my comfort comes first.

dinkypen 04 May 2006
In reply to Sharket:

Ron Hill elite lycra shorts - incredibly comfy and the fabric wicks really well. See fleabay item 7129580930 - £14.99 whereas they normally sell for £24!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...