UKC

i'm quitting my job to be climbing instructor!!! help pleas

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 the_one_jim 08 May 2006
i've decided to leave my job in a school teaching kids how to read and look for work as an climbing instructor..

any suggestions where I should look?

i leave in the South East (south london more precisely). I am doing SPA training in the next couple of weeks. i have a couple of years experience with a university club, teaching new members 'on an informal basis'.

i thank you.
Catc22h 08 May 2006
In reply to the_one_jim: Do you really teach English? Who to?
kittykath 08 May 2006
In reply to the_one_jim: I'd suggest getting out and finding groups who you can help with at the weekend while you've still got your teaching job (sorry, not sure where abouts in the southeast). That is unless you're desperate to leave and aren't too fussed about how much you'd be paid to start with. If that's the case, then get in touch with some local centres to see if they'd be willing to give you a trainee placement or go for one of the larger companies who have centres all over the place, pay you very little but sometimes subsidise your qualifications. Good luck!
 Ben C 08 May 2006
In reply to the_one_jim: my advice: DONT DO IT
unless u r independently wealthy u will struggle to earn a living. suggest u leave london or u will be living in a tent.

get ur SPA award before u make a decision.
kittykath 08 May 2006
In reply to Ben C: Good point - well made!
 Ben C 08 May 2006
In reply to kittykath: It is a real shame as well because I do think children/ young adults should have a better "outdoor education". Plus the serious responsibilities one has ie. making sure people dont die. 12k a year for that !
 Ridge 08 May 2006
In reply to Catc22h:
> (In reply to the_one_jim) Do you really teach English? Who to?

Now, now
 Ridge 08 May 2006
In reply to Ben C:
> Plus the serious responsibilities one has ie. making sure people dont die. 12k a year for that !

Making sure people don't die is a responsibility of many jobs, even those paying less than 12 a year.
 Andy Say 08 May 2006
In reply to kittykath:
(sorry, not sure where abouts in the southeast).

The clue will be in the cryptic clue ' south london'.
 beardy mike 08 May 2006
In reply to Catc22h:
> Who to?

Isn't that to whom?
Yellow Rebel 08 May 2006
In reply to the_one_jim: I notice Craggy (Guildford) have ads up for assistant instructors, 37 hours a week. They seem to encourage staff up through the ranks.
In reply to Yellow Rebel:

Yes indeed. It's in the premier posts.
kittykath 08 May 2006
In reply to Andy Say: Thank you!! I was only apologising for my lack of information about possible openings down there!!
kittykath 08 May 2006
In reply to Ben C: We were recently inspected by the glorious government inspectors who told us that if every child had access to outdoor education then there would be no need for 'key skills' in the national curriculum. She was very impressed by the whole outdoor ed thing. Even after getting qualified as a teacher of outdoor education, schools still don't seem to place that much importance on it when hiring.
Phylis 08 May 2006
In reply to the_one_jim: Try Village Camps, summer seasonal work, locations in England, Leysin - Switzerland and the States..Always looking for instructors.
 garethmorgan 08 May 2006
In reply to the_one_jim:
Westway were advertising for instructors not long ago. You really need your SPA though.
Earning enough money to live in London as an instructor is possible, but hard, and involves a lot of running around in the first few months, working every odd hour you can. A lot of the work is herding kids, and you might only get a few hours work a week sometimes. I'd stay on the supply list as a backup plan if I were you.
OP the_one_jim 08 May 2006
In reply to Yellow Rebel:
> (In reply to the_one_jim) I notice Craggy (Guildford) have ads up for assistant instructors, 37 hours a week. They seem to encourage staff up through the ranks.

thankyou for your helpful comment. i shall check it out...
OP the_one_jim 08 May 2006
In reply to the_one_jim: i'm not a qualified teacher. i'm a support assistant... so i'm used to poor pay.

I do have a wife who earns more than me... so we'll survive for a while...

in answer to all those other cheeky threads; yes i do teach english. i teach kids how to read, and write and count... have you ever seen the sketch in Blackadder when Blackadder is teaching baldric how to count with beans?...
i have conversations like that... regularly. it is an entertaining job.
Geezuz 08 May 2006
In reply to the_one_jim: Last time I was down at Bowles Rocks they were looking for instructors with SPA, I assume to look after groups of kids. That may be up your street, and being outdoors is going to be much better than stuck at a wall (at least for the next few months)!
 Ben C 08 May 2006
In reply to Ridge: like ? with same level of independence ?
bongo 08 May 2006
maybe not quite what your after but try westnotts.ac.uk
their offering FREE courses in outdoor ed with work experience it may take a bit longer but tou will be in a much better position to work. they offer ML trg/ass, SPA trg/ass, BCU coaching awards up to lvl 3,as well as options of raft guide, sailing, power boat (safety),1st aid, and either a level 3 nvq or i believe a degree of some sort now. west notts college number is 01623627191
 Andy S 08 May 2006
In reply to the_one_jim: A cursory glance at the job-market will show you that pay, security and progression is not something found in abundance.

However, I know a fair few freelancers who have it made i.e. they freelance and have their partner/wife to support them and thus also have somewhere to call 'home'.

See if you can find a seasonal job at a centre within a reasonable distance (you could commute or do a bit of living at home, bit of living at the centre to suit). Once you have sufficient experience and a couple of tickets you can go freelance.

I also know someone who's nearly got their MIA and has never worked at a centre full-time. He's built up all the required experience on the side whilst working a full-time job.

'Making it' in the outdoor world is a long hard road and not a decision to be taken lightly. Of course, if your partner supports you, you've got it a HELL of alot easier (and better, one might say) than most people.

Personally, I would make sure you keep your teaching stuff ticking-over so you can 'get back into it' in the future if need arises.

Feel free to email me with anymore questions.

Good luck!
OP the_one_jim 12 May 2006
In reply to Andy S:thanks for the info... very helpful.

i think i'll keep going with the teacher training, and hope to escape to the country side in 5years or so, with a bit of cash behind me....

thanks again for everyones comments. very constructive.

jim
Snowplod 12 May 2006
In reply to the_one_jim:

Personally I'd keep your teaching job and gain all your quals and some much needed experience in your spare time. After all you lot do get about 6 weeks off in the summer!

Really to make a good living (in general) out of the outdoors, you need to be looking at MIA.
 pigeonjim 12 May 2006
In reply to Snowplod:
MIA and know the right peeps too
James Jackson 12 May 2006
In reply to the_one_jim:

Getting other outdoor quals. will help greatly, lots of places like Canoe instructors, for example. SPA, Canoe (I don't know the system there I'm afraid) and ML will get you good work in season. In time, the MIA is a definite for decent career progression.

Have fun!
In reply to James Jackson:
> (In reply to the_one_jim)
>
> Getting other outdoor quals. will help greatly, lots of places like Canoe instructors, for example. SPA, Canoe (I don't know the system there I'm afraid) and ML will get you good work in season. In time, the MIA is a definite for decent career progression.
>
> Have fun!

SPA, Level 2 kayak and since your not a million miles away from some decent sailing try for RYA Dinghy instructor.
In reply to brt:

You're not your.............
James Jackson 12 May 2006
In reply to brt:

That's the badger(s).
 beermonkey 12 May 2006
In reply to the_one_jim:

I'd recommend staying in work and doing your qualifications part time as nearly all of them can be done that way provided you are keen and get out a lot (which you should be if you're thinking about that kinda work). Make sure you get a wider spread of qualifications as possible, it will make you a lot more employable, ML is the building block really along with SPA.
 mark reeves Global Crag Moderator 12 May 2006
In reply to the_one_jim: Hi Jim. If you are a qualified teacher can't you move to somewhere on the north wales coast get a job teaching there whilst you get your qualification. Thats how Katz got honed. He stuck to teaching and just got stronger.
 Dee 13 May 2006
In reply to the_one_jim: I'm a qualified teacher of English taking the route which a number of posters have advised:- working full time teaching whilst gaining experience and National Governing Body qualifications before taking the decision to follow a career in adventurous outdoor activities; I've worked for a number of commercial organisations as well as developing and delivering outdoor adventurous activity programmes of study within my school.

The following considerations have helped me:-
1. What exactly are your personal goals in working in Outdoor Adventurous Activities?
2. How relevant is your current experience?
3. Can you support yourself while you gain the experience and qualifications?
4. Is your business viable? You have to make sufficient money, otherwise you will struggle to continue (partner and bank allowing).

timjones 13 May 2006
In reply to kittykath:
> (In reply to Ben C) We were recently inspected by the glorious government inspectors who told us that if every child had access to outdoor education then there would be no need for 'key skills' in the national curriculum. She was very impressed by the whole outdoor ed thing. Even after getting qualified as a teacher of outdoor education, schools still don't seem to place that much importance on it when hiring.

IF outdoor ed is so essential I'm left wondering how any of us over the age of 35 ever managed without it. Its an educational buzz word thats all!

Dave Stelmach 13 May 2006
In reply to Andy S: Or if you have a Dadbank!
 Dee 13 May 2006
In reply to timjones: Education is full of buzzwords; my experience, sadly. Too much of what I've seen, in my career teaching English at secondary level for eight years, is the triumph of appearance over substance. Integrity within education policy is a rare quality.
 Ian McNeill 15 May 2006
In reply to timjones:
you just did not grow up in Derbyshire did you ... Whitehalls been around longer than you or me ... and i freelanced there in the late 1980's...

Jack Longland, Lynn Nobel probably dont mean much to you either or 'climbing games' the book Pete Macdonald get a copy and enjoy -- redder than a communists red flag ... and the bogman, Rory.... well hes the boss now !!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...