UKC

Which Petzl Head Torch?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 54ms 09 May 2006
My gf is needs a new head torch and can get the petzl range cheap. I've been quite impressed with the Myo 5, but was wondering how the LED on the new XP compares with a halogen bulb?
OP 54ms 09 May 2006
In reply to Duncan_S:

Xeon rather then halgoen even.
 nniff 09 May 2006
In reply to Duncan_S:

Myo XP - most impressed. Probably not the thing if you're after an immense darkness-ripping beam, but for finding your way about a hillside it's fine. Small and light enough to sit on your helmet all day too.
deeje 09 May 2006
In reply to Duncan_S: Myo Xp - very powerful spot beam, ridiculusly long battery life (AA's so can take spares), lightweight, weatherproof, stable

.....in short its good so if you can get them cheap enough keep a pair for yourselves and flog the rest at slightly less than retail and make a profit.
 nick nc 09 May 2006
In reply to nniff: Ditto for the XP. Brighter than you might think, up to 60m. 40m normal beam. I know the Myo 5 does 100m, but when do you really need something that powerful, and the battery life is a winner. And it's cheaper than than the Myo 5.
OP 54ms 09 May 2006
In reply to Duncan_S:

Thanks for the feedback. Just to confuse it slightly how bright is a tika xp compared to old 4 LED tikka and the myo xp?
 steev 09 May 2006
In reply to Duncan_S:

I recently replaced a lost tikka plus with the tikka XP. About the same brightness if on the 'diffuse' setting, however the 'beam' setting is definitely brighter and also has the advantage of being more directional than the old style tikka.

Not sure how it compares to the Myo though.
 CarolineMc 09 May 2006
In reply to Duncan_S: Bear in mind that Petzl have just increased all the LEDs in the range and they're now about 40% stronger beam than two months ago. Tikka XP or Myo XP will do very well I reckon! C-:
 Tinnik Tinnik 09 May 2006
In reply to CarolineMc: How can one tell if one has/ is buying the latest model then? Is it obvious? The shops might still be selling loads of the old ones/ or the UK wholesalers might be offloading old stock still?? Cheers TT
Removed User 09 May 2006
In reply to Duncan_S: Have you tried halogen/xenon bulbs in poor visibility (mist and cloud)? They work fine. Then try the LED lights in the same poor visibility and the light bounces back.

For LED torches, I've used the Tikka and Myo XP in both good conditions and in misty conditions; for halogen, the Zoom. In good conditions, there is no problem and the Myo XP is a fantastic torch. However, there is a significant drop-off in the usefulness of the light in poor conditions compared to the good old halogen/xenon bulb.

I would also consider the BD range of headtorches too.
OP 54ms 10 May 2006

Thanks for all the replies. Its got to be petzl as the discount does not make it worth considering other brands, although I know BD make good torches. I'll report back to my gf and let her decide.

She will probably buy the one in the colours she likes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...