UKC

Cullin & compass

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dan_S 11 May 2006
I understand that the Cullin ridge contains rock with a high magnetic iron content, and so compass bearings are "unreliable"

If the weather comes in, can you still get away with using a compass, so long as its kept as far away from the rock as possible?
Iain Forrest 11 May 2006
In reply to Dan_S:
"Sometimes" is probably the best answer.
Of course, you won't necessarily know whether or not you're getting away with it...
 Simon Caldwell 11 May 2006
In reply to Dan_S:
Depending on just how 'in' the weather is, a technique I've used is to take a bearing (keeping the compass away from the rock). Then walk along that bearing half way to something visible (ie if there's a distinctive pinnacle 50m away along the bearing, walk 20-30m towards it). Now take the bearing again (again keeping away from the rock). Ideally, stand on the opposite side of the nearest large rock mass (eg the ridge) to the first. If the two readings agree then you're probably OK.
Of course if the visibility is poor enough then this may not be possible.

Another option is to take a reading, then move a short distance so that the nearest large rock mass is on a different side, if the reading is the same then it might be correct - or they may both be put out by a different large mass

The best solution though is to use the Harveys map, which in my limited experience so far (I've not had it long) is good enough to navigate from using contours etc, without using a compass.
 Mike Peacock 11 May 2006
In reply to Dan_S: I was on the ridge in mist and snow at Easter heading up and back to Sgurr na Banachdich. Our solution was to build little 'snow cairns' to mark our path in case the compass started lying. Probably not a technique in any books though!
hardon 11 May 2006
In reply to Touching Centauri:

I know one of my Dad's ancient guides lists the bealachs at which compass readings are known to be accurate...
In reply to Dan_S:

BTW, you know when you're getting 'an unreliable reading' when the needle just keep goes round and round ... ! Yes, that really does happen in quite a few places on the Main Ridge
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:
Wow, I've never seen that! Must be quite a weird feeling in thick mist
 sutty 11 May 2006
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

The old SMC book for Skye used to have details of the worst places for magnetic rock on the ridge, see if it is in the library if you do not have it.
In reply to sutty:
I have the 1937(ish) guide, will have a look in there.
It's usually quite a depressing read, as the times given are so much quick than anything we manage to achieve! For instance, last week we did the SE ridge of Sgurr a'Ghreadaidh, from the Coruisk hut, it took us just under 13 hours door to door and I thought we'd done quite well, mostly moving together and only pitching a couple of sections. The only time we 'wasted' was half an hour for lunch and another half hour to the main summit and back. But that book says an average time from Sligachan (ie including going up and over one of the passes to Coir'-uisg) is 9 hours!
 sutty 11 May 2006

Don't forget you are a soft office worker with a car. They mostly relied on public transport to get around and those odd two or three miles to the bus or train mounted up in fitness.

When walking was normal they would walk a couple of miles to the pub or for a meal at an inn, when I started in the 50s I used to walk up about a mile of 1/8 to get to the pub after getting off the bus, and often walked the five miles home after if I missed the last bus, a regular thing.
In reply to sutty:
Yes I know, it kind of puts it in perspective whenever I think I'm getting quite fit! Though I do cycle 5 miles each way to work every day
 sutty 11 May 2006

You read Wordsworths diaries, or Boswells tour of the highlands? Strolling four miles to visit someone for tea then walk back, over Red Bank etc.
A postie on one round did 70 miles in three days then went back and started all over again, on tracks that were barely visible. Hard men.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...