UKC

NEWS - Youngest Britons to Summit Everest

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
After spending six weeks on Mount Everest, Rob Gauntlett and James Hooper, both 19, have become the youngest Britons to climb the mountain. Rob and James summited at 08:00am Wednesday 17th (tibet time), having set off from camp 3 at 22:00pm the previous evening.
Both are in good shape following the climb and are now descending back to ABC over the next 48 hours.

More here - http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/
 'Hilda' 17 May 2006
In reply to Alan James - UKC:

Well done to them both.

ed 17 May 2006
Yeah, good work lads. Now that's what I call throwing down the Gauntlett! Sorry...
Ed
PS. I bet Jake's a bit miffed - but happy for them too
Anonymous 17 May 2006

wish I was 19 again, well done lads
 abarro81 17 May 2006
In reply to Alan James - UKC: yeah, but what have they done on grit??
99atkijp 17 May 2006
In reply to abarro81:
"but what have they done on grit??"

I know both rob and james well and if you visit the website www.everest-2006.com there are pictures of them climbing at stanage (& other rock locations). I know rob can lead at a solid and consistent E3 level, he has proven this in the peak distict, and James who climbs with rob a lot can second this grade comfortably. I hope this answers your question into the pair's ability on rock.
 Simon Caldwell 18 May 2006
In reply to 99atkijp:
Yeah, but what have they done on Yorkshire grit?

Yes well done to them. There seem to be a lot of successes on Everest this week. I hear Conan Harrod made it yesterday too.
In reply to Alison Stockwell:

Yes, it must be busy up there. Mind you it always is in the first week of May.

Strikes me as a nightmare place to be at the moment. I can't imagine anything worse than fighting for position in such a place. You can see why there are sometimes horrible disasters when the weather closes in unexpectedly.

Alan
 Jon Read 18 May 2006
Not to mention the occasional bumbly client in front that falls on you and breaks your leg at 8000m, while you were waiting patiently for your turn on the rope. As happened to Conan on his last attempt... Presumably he avoided spotting duties this time.
 newhey 18 May 2006

This was an aided climb, I believe they used Pepsi Max to get the top so it shouldnt really count.
 Tom Briggs 18 May 2006
> (In reply to Alison Stockwell)
>
> Yes, it must be busy up there. Mind you it always is in the first week of May.

Well, not quite. Last year no-one summited at all until 20 May, with most teams getting to the top in the last week of May/first week of June. Generally, you can expect summits from 10 May onwards in a typical year.

> Strikes me as a nightmare place to be at the moment. I can't imagine anything worse than fighting for position in such a place.

Which is one of the reasons why you get out in front! The Jagged Globe team opened the route on the south side yesterday morning... just our team (including Kenton Cool - 3rd time on the summit in 3 years and Rhys Jones - summited on his 20th birthday) and about 5 other climbers in total on the summit from the South side yesterday. Lots of queues this morning and tomorrow for sure.
 tobyfk 18 May 2006

I am slightly confused by all this. Are we supposed to be impressed by people who climb big mountains on guided trips? Certainly I am impressed by Kenton summiting three times (what could he achieve if he didn't have to haul clients behind him ..?). But beyond this do 'client' trips reflect much more than having parents with deep pockets/ other access to the required dosh. Naturally I understand that it remains quite dangerous to climb Everest regardless of oxygen and sherpa support, but shouldn't we cheer more if the same individual climbed a lesser known 6000-7000m peak in good style under their own steam?
Simon22 18 May 2006
In reply to tobyfk:

'but shouldn't we cheer more if the same individual climbed a lesser known 6000-7000m peak in good style under their own steam?'

Yes we should and virtually all true climbers would........
In reply to tobyfk:

I many ways I agree with you Toby. I too am a bit uneasy about this Everest Circus that unfolds each May; it must be an awful place to be - just think of all those desperate egos walking around base camp!

However, we report what people feed us if it is newsworthy, and I deemed this newsworthy. It would be great to report less publicity-seeking expeditions but we need to be sent the info since we don't have the resources to go out and source stories like that ourselves.

I do reject news items quite regularly since many are just adverts via a different route.

Alan
 tobyfk 18 May 2006

> it must be an awful place to be - just think of all those desperate egos walking around base camp!

Indeed. This article I stumbled over at 'work' today
http://outside.away.com/outside/magazine/200104/200104toddfather1.html
shows how surreal it can get.
 Tom Briggs 18 May 2006
In reply to tobyfk:
> (In reply to Alan James - UKC)
>
> I am slightly confused by all this. Are we supposed to be impressed by people who climb big mountains on guided trips? Certainly I am impressed by Kenton summiting three times (what could he achieve if he didn't have to haul clients behind him ..?). But beyond this do 'client' trips reflect much more than having parents with deep pockets/ other access to the required dosh. Naturally I understand that it remains quite dangerous to climb Everest regardless of oxygen and sherpa support, but shouldn't we cheer more if the same individual climbed a lesser known 6000-7000m peak in good style under their own steam?

How many 19 year olds are organising their own expeds to 6000m peaks? Not many I wouldn't have thought. It costs a lot to go to the Himalayas and Everest still attracts sponsorship from outside climbing. Certainly there's not much support from the mountaineering world (though Rhys Jones was sponsored in some way by Cotswold). I'm not even sure if Kenton and co are getting anything from the BMC/MEF for their G IV exped this summer as it's not a 'new route'. It'll be interesting to see the results of the BMC's drive to promote 'real' climbing achievements. Though their new press and PR officer isn't in the office this week, so I doubt they would have picked up on Kenton's achievement as the only Brit to summit 3 times

These young guys weren't pioneering new routes, but I know for sure that Rhys was out for 20 hours on summit day. Which I'm impressed by. Everest will always attract a lot of media attention. 'Real climbers' will continue to knock it, but given the opportunity, most 'real climbers' would still love to climb Everest. I know Ian Parnell didn't pass up on the chance last year!
 Ian Parnell 18 May 2006
In reply to tobyfk:
"Certainly I am impressed by Kenton summiting three times (what could he achieve if he didn't have to haul clients behind him ..?)."

Toby, Kenton is allowed a weeks rest when he gets back and then we're off with John Varco to the Shining Wall of Gasherbrum IV. I guess that makes John and me the clients we're looking forward to travelling in his wake.

tobyfk 18 May 2006
In reply to Tom, UKC News Editor:

Tom, with respect, since you work for Jagged Globe: you would say all that, wouldn't you?

I am a total punter in every way but even I and my then-indolent college mate managed to stumble around unassisted on unclimbed peaks in the Ganesh Himal twenty years ago after we graduated. I turned 21 alone on a glacier there. I've never thought for a moment to present it as anything other than an incompetent laugh but in the context of this commercial puffery I finally feel quite proud ...
 GrahamD 18 May 2006
In reply to Ian Parnell:

Maybe he'll carry your bag ? just a thought.
 Tom Briggs 18 May 2006
In reply to tobyfk:
> (In reply to Tom, UKC News Editor)
>
> Tom, with respect, since you work for Jagged Globe: you would say all that, wouldn't you?

Not so simple. I have a fairly good knowledge of what goes on on Everest and therfore a more informed view than most (despite having not been to 8000m personally). Kenton commented when he was on the summit yesterday that he "felt tired". I reckon that means it's not a total path, despite the 02/Sherpas/number of people doing it!

Chris the Tall 18 May 2006
Did he have stripey mouse with him ?
 tobyfk 18 May 2006

I am sure it's not a path. I know someone who may summit in the next day or two on a guided trip and I'll be the first to congratulate him if he makes it (especially <miaow> since he's shockingly weak on rock </miaow>). All I'm saying is: is it newsworthy? As far as I know, this site, and indeed no other climbing website or magazine, never otherwise reports guided ascents of any other summit or route as 'news'?
nobel 20 May 2006
This forum, as well as much that has appeared in Summit recently, has illustrated quite well just why young climbers go for Everest: it is a world that can be very scathing of the abilities of youngsters. I would have invited any of the Everest cynics to talk to Rob and James, at top camp after they summitted or indeed at any point during the three years of their preparation and then to suggest that climbing Everest is a fool's game for the unprepared and naive, or that climbers like them see it as such. Everyone has their area of expertise in climbing, be it high-altitude mountaineering or grit purism: in all of this I would quite simply ask how difficult it can be to encourage other climbers, especially youngsters, to enjoy big challenges in the same way that we all do? The message of their climb is very much in appreciation of a few individuals who devoted a lot of time, at the expense of their own climbing ability, to taking kids on expeditions: that they may be inspired to continue doing so and to keep people interested in climbing and mountaineering for its enjoyment and not for the furtherment of egos. Those who know Rob, James and indeed Rhys would quickly work out why they climb: Rob and James' media interest has not been generated by them, but by those working for them who support this message. Cynicism is a poor excuse for inactivity, whether Everest or a more lonely peak/grit route is your dream: it is worth just taking a step back and remembering that climbing is entirely for enjoyment and to give time to your own dreams and those of the people around you.
ian welsted 01 Jun 2006
In reply to Ian Parnell: Going for the big one! Wishing you guys all the best.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...