UKC

Free krabs with friends?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
big-inner 26 May 2006
does anyone know if its true that you can get a free krab with friends? my local shop doesn't have much climbing gear (more tents and stuff) and i am thinking of buying my first gear and heard this but don't know if it's true?
mik 26 May 2006
In reply to big-inner:

its true.

saw a friend in shops yesterday, they have a HUUUUGE label stating you get a FREE crab with it. and i also saw the crab clipped to it.
big-inner 26 May 2006
In reply to big-inner: thanks, what shop was that or is it all of them...
mik 26 May 2006
In reply to big-inner:

it was Nevisport in Glasgow, come to think of it, i didnt check the friends in Tiso.
 Martin W 26 May 2006
In reply to big-inner: Some cams are supplied with a krab (eg DMM 4CUs from V12 Outdoor's DMM seconds shop come with colour-matched Prowire krabs), some aren't. It depends on the policy of the manufacturer and/or the retailer.
Ted 26 May 2006
In reply to big-inner:

I heard that all friends have a free Krab now, check this link?

http://www.wildcountry.co.uk/Community/EventsOffersActivities2006/2006WildC...
mik 26 May 2006
In reply to Ted:

thats the package i saw yesterday.

i think the krab should come with a free friend though.
 dpmUK 26 May 2006
In reply to big-inner:

Can confirm that Wild Country Technical Friends are currently coming with a free krab as I brought one on Wednesday to replace the one that got stolen.
 pottsworth 27 May 2006
In reply to big-inner:
Ye, theres an advert in climber saying you got a free wild wire (pretty good wire gates) with every friend
 abarro81 27 May 2006
In reply to big-inner: it is the wild wire you get free. snow and rock i bristol had a couple when i was in there
duntelchaig midge 27 May 2006
In reply to big-inner:

It's all fine and dandy getting a free krab but am I the only one that uses it only for racking? I sometimes have two friends on one krab for racking on my harness/bandolier and always extend a friend with a quick draw. I find this stops any potential for the friend to walk once placed. Only in an emergency (ie running short of quickdraws and/or know the friend is in direct line from the placement below and whatever I will place above) will I simply clip into the friends own crab.

In which case a free krab isn't going to make or break a sale. Although a free bit of gear is always nice
mik 27 May 2006
In reply to duntelchaig midge:

its not free gear, just proof Friends are overpriced in the first place
brothersoulshine 27 May 2006
In reply to big-inner:

Wouldn't you want to buy some more useful stuff before buying cams? (Or am I hopelessly old-fashioned?)
duntelchaig midge 29 May 2006
In reply to brothersoulshine:
Good point.

I never picked up on that part of the original message.

Surely a rack of nuts should be the first purchase for any budding climber. Then build up to the best part of a second set, followed by hexes, etc before even thinking about friends. And of course a reasonable set of quickdraws (just go for making your own), slings, locking crabs etc.
That is, of course, if our original enquirer was hoping that buying friends with accompanying krabs would save the need for a set of quickdraws/slings. If si I sense danger (of the RED variety) and a great deal of expence.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...