UKC

compass reading help

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
DEvans 07 Jun 2006
hello i know it's late but i'm trying to tune in the satallite dish and the dish should be pointing 28.2 degrees east. does this mean 28.2° from east towards south or from south towards east.

thanks.
 Huddy 07 Jun 2006
In reply to DEvans: isn't it just 28.2 from 0 - ie north?
DEvans 07 Jun 2006
In reply to Huddy: i will give it a go. but it will be pointing in another direction to what it used too.

thanks ,i will go and stand out side for a bit.

mypyrex 07 Jun 2006
In reply to DEvans: When expressing a heading or direction in terms of degree they are usually just expressed as so many degrees without the suffix of north, east, west or south. Thus, if you are heading in a north easterly direction you will be heading 045 degrees from 0(north) It is superfluous/contradictory to express a heading as so many degrees east, west, north or south. Hope that helps!
David Holden 07 Jun 2006
In reply to DEvans: just a thought, does it mean pointing east (090 degrees) with an angle to the sky of 28.2 degrees. Not use if that would be 28.2 from horizontal, or vertical?
David Holden 07 Jun 2006
In reply to David Holden: should read "not sure"
Cats 07 Jun 2006
In reply to DEvans:

That sounds bizarre. Surely satellite dishes point south not east, and the 28.2 is the angle up from the horizon?
 Carolyn 07 Jun 2006
In reply to DEvans:

I thought satellite dishes pointed south (ish), so I reckon a good guess is that it's 28.2 degrees away from south, towards east.

Though I reckon you'd be lucky to get it right to within 10 degree, let alone 0.1!
DEvans 07 Jun 2006
In reply to Carolyn: it's not hat acurate really as i have managed to find tune it in before. i just had to look it up again as i moved the dish, i just need the general direction really.

ta
 derekParsons 07 Jun 2006
In reply to DEvans: Are you trying to point the dish towards the Sky Digital satellite? As it is located at longitude 28.2°E above the equator.

So the 28.2°E is not quite the direction of the satellite from your location. From London this will be at a heading of around 148°(Magnetic), or about 32° East of South.

David Rainsbury 07 Jun 2006
In reply to derekParsons: I've just checked it on my chart plotter and it comes out at 162 deg true and a distance of 3450 nautical miles. The satellite is somewhere over Zaire! Amazing.
But I guess south then left a bit would do for the telly.
David Rainsbury 07 Jun 2006
In reply to David Rainsbury: That's from London area, which I guess is down south somewhere.
 derekParsons 07 Jun 2006
In reply to David Rainsbury: Well the Satellite is 35000KM above 28.2°E on the equator, so it will be a bit more than 3450 nautical miles away.

But you are right, from the UK its South and then left a few degrees.

Mikey_07 07 Jun 2006
In reply to DEvans:

Always remember....NORTH IS UP!!!
David Rainsbury 09 Jun 2006
In reply to derekParsons: Yes, i forgot about its altitude, which is a lot higher than I imagined. I was impressed enough by its geographical position. As I don't have a telly and prefer Radio 4 on long wave that's hardly surprising.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...