UKC

Practice Rockover

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
J1234 09 Jun 2006
Hi,
failed a route yesterday because I was too much of a wuss to commit to a rockover. Anyone reccommend any Vdiff and severe routes with rockovers that are near the ground so I can build up my confidence on the move. Anything within West Yorks, Lancs would be fine.
Cheers Beds
 Beaver 09 Jun 2006
In reply to J1234: This might sound stupid.... but try a wall. Any wall about 4 foot high will do. just get used to doing the motion etc.

Trying a vdiff or severe with one "near the floor" is pretty pointless if your are trying to build confidence as you're near the floor anyway and unlikely to be phased.

Go find a wall very near to you, nail the whole rockover thing and then go back and nail the one you couldn't do.
 CJD 09 Jun 2006
In reply to J1234:

getting out of the swimming pool is also good practice.
brothersoulshine 09 Jun 2006
In reply to J1234:

I think not being able to rockover is often something to do with not having very bendy hips.

Bendy hips make a huge difference to lots of people's climbing, from their ability to do rockovers to simply being able to keep more weight on your feet more of the time.
 JDDD 09 Jun 2006
In reply to J1234: There is also another thing you can practice which is good for strength and balance.

Squat down on one leg with your other out in front of you, but not touching the ground. Now stand up but only using one leg and nothing for your hands. It is harder than it sounds, but if you can easily do it on each leg seperately without falling over, you are will on your way to being good at rockovers.
J1234 09 Jun 2006
In reply to Beaver:
Thats a good idea. Also as I will not be able to use my hands so will improve balance.
Cheers Beds
J1234 09 Jun 2006
In reply to Jon Dittman:

> Squat down on one leg with your other out in front of you, but not touching the ground. Now stand up but only using one leg and nothing for your hands.

Sounds like a Cossack dance to me Tovarich
Cheers Beds

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...