UKC

Phud

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jonny_098 11 Jun 2006
Just had a look at the site, phud looks pretty good, but am slightly concerned about durablity. anyone got one?

Am also looking at the Frankiln Satalite on urban rock for £55 so any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers
Jonny

Reaver2k 11 Jun 2006
In reply to jonny_098:

Theres loads of threads on the Phud, Ive got one, love it, works just aswell as all the other mats for half the price.
Do a search and im sure yourll get more threads telling you its great.
Not had it for ages but it works as good as new atm and ive done a few 20 ft jumps on it. I believe you need to buy spares they sell them, haven't heard of anyone needing them though.

My suggestion, buy one.
OP jonny_098 11 Jun 2006
In reply to Reaver2k:

Thanks, didnt realise there were so many threads! Sounds awesome, looks like the big boys are gonna have to step up their game (or at least lower their prices). Atm i really cant afford 130+ for a big name pad.
 Reaver2k 11 Jun 2006
In reply to jonny_098:

Don't need one, what more do you want than a giant pad which you can fall from several feet onto without seriously hurting yourself, ive never even got close to bottoming out on it! Plus the service is second to none, I ordered mine at 13:00 on one day, came 09:00 the next morning!
OP jonny_098 11 Jun 2006
In reply to Reaver2k:

Looks like i might have to get one! Plus i like the way they take improvements and suggestions from customers and develop the mats further. Size coild be an issue tho, im in a polo!
 Reaver2k 11 Jun 2006
In reply to jonny_098:

Yeah there pretty big, we managed to (just) jam it into the boot of a Audi A3 with abit of a struggle!
OP jonny_098 11 Jun 2006
In reply to Reaver2k:

lol, looks like it could be a backseat job only for me then!
 dominic_s 11 Jun 2006
In reply to jonny_098: i decked out on my phud from the top of pisa wall (pex hill, about 25 feet), got a bit winded but no lasting damage. walked away without the broken ankles i've had so many other times!
 Reaver2k 11 Jun 2006
In reply to jonny_098:

If it really is too big maybe you should look at the woomf, I just dont want to miss :P
OP jonny_098 11 Jun 2006
In reply to Reaver2k:

Yeah im having the same thoughts, esp as i am gonna be bouldering on my own for a lot of the time, big mat is prob better. Thanks for the help!

Jonny
 Reaver2k 11 Jun 2006
In reply to jonny_098:

If you live anywhere near Huddersfield your welcome to tag along with us, we go most weekends atleast lately!
OP jonny_098 11 Jun 2006
In reply to dominic_s:

Sounds pretty cool (the mat not ur fall!). Alpkit have really got their heads screwed on, they r coming out with some good stuff at affordable prices.
OP jonny_098 11 Jun 2006
In reply to Reaver2k:

Cheers but am going to be in cornwall all summer then southampton. Live in leicester at the mo and make the odd trip to the peak. Would like to do some yorkshire grit tho. Maybe next time im at my grannys in halifax i will give u a bell!

jonnyboy 12 Jun 2006
The b ig red pad is awsome, just one problem which i belive they sorted(?) even with the shoulder strap its still a bit cumbersome, and the corners drag on the floor when going up hill, it took a good yr of solid climbing to cometo anything, but they need sticking back up, i did have duck tap on them from the start but since that came off, the coners got holes in em. oh and the foam went soft, but thats to be expected, do they sell replacement foam?
But otherwise posibly the best £60 i spent (ands thats coming from a Yorkshireman)
In reply to dominic_s: Which bit of Pisa wall is 25 ft? Bit shorter shirley but still wouldn't want to miss the mat.
 willhunt 12 Jun 2006
In reply to dominic_s: what problem?
OP jonny_098 12 Jun 2006
In reply to jonnyboy:

lol, must be good value then! Not sure but i think the new ones have a backpack type strap so that shouldnt happen.. Dont quote me on that. Replacement foam is on the website for around £40. I guess they cant use cordarua at that price. U might be interested to know they r developing an elephud which is a sack that goes round ur mat and can hold gear/protect etc?
 Reaver2k 12 Jun 2006
In reply to jonny_098:

Yeah the Phud now has two shoulder straps (which have a bit of velcro which can disconnect to make one shoulder strap i think) which makes it just like a ruckstrap, i was abit suprised to find out they work out fantastic!
OP jonny_098 12 Jun 2006
In reply to Reaver2k:

Awesome, they get new stock in on wednesday. Think i might just have to get one!
Jake Avery 12 Jun 2006
In reply to jonny_098: I've got a phud for 55 reasonable quid and its great thicker and cheaper than my mates rd chillie and so far it has been very good no damage just a few stains due to falling into sheep sh*t but well worth it
OP jonny_098 12 Jun 2006
In reply to Jake Avery:

Sounds it, where and when did u get such a good deal? They r £70 from the site, didnt think they sold them anywhere else!
 Reaver2k 12 Jun 2006
In reply to jonny_098:

They don't, I believe they used to sell them for 60, but i imagine hes talking about a second-hand one?
Jake Avery 18 Jun 2006
In reply to Reaver2k: yeah sorry i did mean £60 but i wasn't paying attenton although they do sell a 50 quid mode i.e the woomf i waas just getting the prices mixed up ad such so sorry for any inconvenience
 Rob in a Field 19 Jun 2006
In reply to Jake Avery:

me and my mates ordered 5 and got some discount! they have been very good so far, ive got a small rip in the bottom of mine due to a fall onto a long scree slope ending in a 5 metre slide! WEEEEEE but other than that a great product, great service and a great company.

Rob in a field
OP jonny_098 19 Jun 2006
In reply to Rob in a Field:

Lol, sounds good, glad u had a good slide! Think im deff gonna get one now!
 ksjs 20 Jun 2006
In reply to jonny_098:

nobody mentioned the lowly Satellite - is it not worth considering at £55? size as they say though is important and it does sound a good bit smaller (and thinner) than the Phud which, judging by this and other threads, is pretty decent...

25ft fall onto a bouldering mat - you crazy guys!
 Reaver2k 20 Jun 2006
In reply to ksjs:

Hey otherwise we would need a rope .
Yeah if there was no Phud or woomf then Satellite might be a healthy contender, but it looks really thin to me, and obviously isn't as good value as the phud, satellite is like a small mainstream companies cheap bouldering mat, phud is the opposite :P but still cheap!
In reply to Reaver2k: I think you are getting abit confused here. The alpkit pads are without doubt exceptional value for money and can't be faulted at the price. The Franklin mats are excellent quality, probably better than Alpkit and used to retail at £100. Therefore at £55 they are definately good value. I've had a Franklin Dropzone(bigger than satellite)for a couple of years and I can't fault it.
fish08 20 Jun 2006
Surely you are comparing the Franklin mat to the Woomf? Those two (spec wise) match up fairly well. The Phud is a totally different mat (spec wise) to the Franklin.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...