UKC

Waterproof synthetic belay jacket

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Wilbur 21 Jun 2006
Other than the heatseeker does anyone know of such an item?
 Nic M 21 Jun 2006
In reply to Wilbur:

Montane belay jacket. Ok, technically, its not waterproof, but it generally keeps you on the inside and the weather on the outside.
OP Wilbur 21 Jun 2006
In reply to Nic M:

is that the extreme smock?
 Dee 21 Jun 2006
In reply to Wilbur: PHDesigns http://www.phdesigns.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=82&...
synthetic belay jacket with drishell outer.
Removed User 21 Jun 2006
In reply to Wilbur:
I have heard the PHD is good but ?pricey? I know it may not be that useful but i got a brilliant one from 'Wild Things' in North America - sorry, i don't know if anyone imports them into the UK.....
lardbrain@work
deeje 21 Jun 2006
In reply to Wilbur: Rab belay Jackets good - certainly shower proof but havnt tested it in a full torrent yet.
Removed User 22 Jun 2006
In reply to Removed User:
> (In reply to Removed UserWilbur)
a brilliant one from 'Wild Things' in North America - sorry, i don't know if anyone imports them into the UK.....

got it - try outside.co.uk
insulation is primaloft so warm even when wet & doesn't have the moisture movement problems with sealed down belay jackets (in our climate, anyway)
In reply to Wilbur: arc'terx do gore tex shelled primaloft belay jackets.

but, why on earth do you need a waterproof belay jacket? you should only be usung it in cold ocnditions where there is little or no water. even if you use it in scotland where it is wet, if you get quality synthetic jacket, it still retains most of its insulating properties when wet. adding a water proof shell to the jacket, reduces its breathablity, making it harder to dry your clothes. it adds weight and builk and unessessary cost. read the chapter in mark twights extreme alpinism on them.

for my money get a micro puff jacktet of DAS parka.
 ste_d 22 Jun 2006
In reply to Wilbur: mountain equipment do the snowline parka, which i think has a waterproof outer and synthetic insulation...however it looks a rather bulky piece of kit...

think mountain hardwear also do a primaloft version of their tempest jacket which has a waterproof outer

as someone else has mentioned, why are you looking for a waterproof insulator?
 David Barlow 22 Jun 2006
The patagonia micro puff jacket looks excellent, but it appears that it has been discontinued (the pullover is still being made though). I've been trying to find one in Medium but no luck. If anyone finds one on sale in this size I'd love to hear about it.
 ste_d 22 Jun 2006
In reply to David Barlow:

countryside.co.uk have them at 140 quid

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...