UKC

Prana or Moon?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Pete W 28 Jun 2006
Clothing wise. Pete
 Glyn Jones 28 Jun 2006
In reply to Pete W: I mooned at the weekend - not the same thing I guess!
mik 28 Jun 2006
In reply to Pete W:

Prana, as i havent found any Moon in my size but have had a pair of Prana shorts which were realy nice.
but usualy just buy a pair of cheap army trousers these days for climbing in.
 galpinos 28 Jun 2006
In reply to Pete W:

Only got prana stuff from sale racks. Really like it and would pay full price. Find it really hard to find trousers that aren't climbing specific that i can wave my legs around in when flailing for that vital out of reach foothold
Pete W 28 Jun 2006
In reply to galpinos:

I´ve had both Moon & Prana over the last couple of years, mostly of the sale racks and found both to be well good quality wise. I live everyday climbing in one form or another so my `office´ clothes are my climbing clothes. They need to work but also look okay and last. Prana has a really huge range of great-looking stuff for men and women. Moon´s not been around as long but I has equally good designs if not as much. Guess a big crux (no, not crutch) is availability.

Tough call between Moon´s Boxer Jeans https://www.moonclimbing.com/index.php?form_action=detail&category_id=1...

and Prana´s Drifter Jeans:
http://www.prana.com/storefront/prodbot.aspx?prodid=1359

Pete
Hotbad Peteel 28 Jun 2006
In reply to Pete W:

prana now, when its in the sale. The new moon stuff is really rubbish quality.
p
Pete W 28 Jun 2006
In reply to Hotbad Peteel:

Ben came on here personally recently to refute poorer quality claims. Have you experienced poorer quality yourself or is it something you have heard from others?
Pete
Wes 28 Jun 2006
In reply to Pete W:

Moon everytime for me.

I do have a pair of 3/4 length Prana pants that i got off the sale rail in Needlesports but i only really wear them at work or around the house.

Much prefer Moon stuff for climbing in and the tee's are great designs.

There has been an issue with the Cypher range- buttons on the pockets breaking due to too much tolerance when they were made.

Ben has said that this is now rectified and i haven't had any brought back in to store for a while.

Happy shopping!

Pete W 28 Jun 2006
In reply to Wes:

Wearing a pair of the Prana Jeans now bought them yesterday - so soft almost purvy! Hehehe. What about the Tommy Caldwell stuff; only just starting to appear here, any word on the street, designs, quality, prices?

Pete
Yorkspud 28 Jun 2006
In reply to Pete W:

Bought some of those cheap moon bouldering pants - from the man himself - medium apparently but if you have normal package distriution and a normal medium waist 33? prepare to be emasculated. Surely I am not a large
 neilh 28 Jun 2006
In reply to Pete W:

I am afraid to say I will never use Prana.I have purchase various Prana stuff in the past - sweat shirts, t-shirts and trousers. For the price that you pay I expect good/excellent quality. I found the quality appallingly poor bioth in terms of stitching and the "fabric".To me it's a classic case of people overpaying for a brand.

I have no experience of Moon gear.

At the moment I am trying another well known brand.
In reply to Pete W:

Or E9?
Wes 28 Jun 2006
In reply to Pete W:

The Tommy Caldwell stuff is overpriced for what it is, nice colours though.
In reply to Pete W:

> Ben came on here personally recently to refute poorer quality claims.

He didn't refute the claims, he acknowledged that there had been problems the Cypher pants, and tried to reassure us that these had been resolved.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=183208&v=1#2647379
In reply to neilh:

> To me it's a classic case of people overpaying for a brand

Yup. Couldn't agree more. You're paying for the name, just like any other branded fashion.

BTW, why is TNF's bouldering range named after an aid climbing grade (A5)...?
Hotbad Peteel 28 Jun 2006
In reply to Pete W:
> (In reply to Hotbad Peteel)
>
> Ben came on here personally recently to refute poorer quality claims. Have you experienced poorer quality yourself or is it something you have heard from others?
> Pete

I have a few moon t shirts. The ones i've had for years are great, really hard wearing, no fraying or anything, really comfy to wear etc etc etc. I bought one the other week for ten quid (reduced in cotswold). The weave is loose, the thread in the fabric is much thinner (i.e. lower cost fabric), the printing is that plastic feel stuff that jsut feels a bit sticky and its just a bit clammy to wear. Its not a case of needing to be worn in, it just feels like a poorer quality t-shirt. The old ones feel like your average marks and spencers T, the new ones like something from matalan.
p
 Rubbishy 28 Jun 2006
In reply to Pete W:

Troll Jesters every time ( The Andy Perkins look is coming back in)

oh, and for autumn 2006, Prana are releasing their technical pleated skirt range
Pete W 28 Jun 2006
In reply to captain paranoia:

Thanks, I sit corrected. Pete
Pete W 28 Jun 2006
In reply to John Rushby:

LOL. Wonder; can´t you have a word with them to increase their range from just "Yoga" & "Climbing" to include "Other tastes"? Pete
 liz j 28 Jun 2006
In reply to Hotbad Peteel:
> (In reply to Pete W)
>
>
Have had 2 pairs of moon trousers for quite a while nd have climbed 1000's of metres of chamonix granite in them-not a hole in sight!!
ceri 28 Jun 2006
In reply to John Rushby: Yeah! troll! Troll omnipants- apparently indestructable.
prana trousers are too big, but both moon and prana make nice tops
 duncan 28 Jun 2006
In reply to captain paranoia:

>
> BTW, why is TNF's bouldering range named after an aid climbing grade (A5)...?

It’s a common enough marketing tactic: like Sony releasing their ‘Indy’ output though Creation Records.

A5 Adventures was started by John Middendorf… http://www.bigwalls.net/ …in the mid 1980s, when big wall/aid climbing was very unfashionable and the gear was hard to find. The core of the business was the portaledge range that did for big-walling what pads have done for bouldering.

A5 Catalogue from 1996 (no bouldering shorts, but familiar logo!): http://www.bigwalls.net/climb/A5f/1996Catalog.pdf

John entered into partnership with TNF in order to have access to the latest and best materials, leading A5 being absorbed completely in 1996. Not long after, TNF management underwent some upheavals and decided that they were not that interested in producing real climbing equipment </highly edited and expurgated version>. The portaledge was built under licence by Conrad Anker for a while and has recently found a home at Black Diamond, a testament to John's original design.

TNF held onto the A5 logo and, bizarrely, turned it into a yoof brand for the baggies-and-beenies set. Presumably they were worried that spotty teenagers would be laughed out of school they were seen wearing the parent label, associated as it is with walking Labradors on Richmond Common. As you imply, where it is now is about as far from hard aid climbing as it is possible to conceive but, hey…it’s all Xtreme, dude.

Wingnut 28 Jun 2006
In reply to Pete W:
Neither. Never seen the point in paying very large amounts of money for something that will then be liberally coated with a mixture of mud, grass stains, sheep droppings and chalk, before scraping it up some suitably rough rock and wearing the knees out crawling around setting up belays.

(For indoors, however, tights are funnier. Especially the stealth ones.)
In reply to duncan:

Well, I'd guessed it was "Xtreem, dude!" marketing, but nice to read the history.

Interestingly, I read his paper on the analysis of camming devices a few years ago, when doing some design work of my own.
 Chris the Tall 29 Jun 2006
In reply to neilh:
> (In reply to Pete W)
>
> I am afraid to say I will never use Prana.I have purchase various Prana stuff in the past - sweat shirts, t-shirts and trousers. For the price that you pay I expect good/excellent quality. I found the quality appallingly poor bioth in terms of stitching and the "fabric".To me it's a classic case of people overpaying for a brand.

Couldn't agree less !

I've had excellant wear out of several pairs of Prana trousers. Really comfy, hardwearing, well designed and my wife (who understands these things) reckons they are quite stylish. My first pair did eventually go at the knees, but a couple of iron-on patches and I still wear them. Oh, and the fact that you can still climb in them when they're soaking wet is a definite bonus.

Also got some excellant after-sales service from the distributors (Beyond Hope) when I ripped the back side of a pair in a fall.

Bill Davidson 29 Jun 2006
In reply to Pete W:

Having nearly fainted a couple of times at the prices of both Moon & Prana I found this company which does really good quality stuff.
http://www.lost-arrow.de/about/company/catalogue.html

Since met a couple of folks who raved about trousers they make.

Bill

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...