UKC

Baby carrier

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JoH 02 Jul 2006
We're looking for something for our 6 month old. Something for the hills - capable of keeping him comfy for long/multi days in all weathers (although avoiding Scottish Winter). He can keep his head up no problem and he spends his life in Patapum/Mei Tai etc so is used to being carried.

Any suggestions? I had a framed Karrimor(?) one from yesteryear but sold it as never expected to have any more kids. Have been looking around and quite like the Littlelife, Hauck and Bushbaby ones but would prefer personal experiences from people who have actually used them.

Thanks
 TobyA 03 Jul 2006
In reply to JoH: We've got a bushbaby which as friend lent us and a Deuter Kid Comfort II which we bought. The Bushbaby has much more storage space additional to the baby seat but is heavier and didn't come with any additional bit and bobs. THe Deuter comes with a sun/rain shade that can be taken away. The Deuter has an air mesh back which for me being really really sweaty is a positive compared to the bushbaby. I think the actual carrying systems are good on both - although Deuter are a big company making huge numbers of backpacking rucksacks on the continent so they might have more practice better technology.
Juki 03 Jul 2006
In reply to TobyA:
We have a Deuter Kid Comfort II too and I've been very happy with it. I tried pretty much every model that was available in France and Switzerland and the Deuter was my choice.
Pete W 03 Jul 2006
In reply to Pete W:

This one I´ve used. Pretty good as a lighter weight version but has a risky hinge not suited to being cramed in a luggage hold:

http://www.haglofs.se/produkter/ryggsackar.asp?lang=sv&xCatNr=40#

Pete
 mungo 03 Jul 2006
In reply to JoH:
We brought a Vaude (jolly comfort 2 ? ) Can't falt it at all... Very good strap/waist strap. plenty of luggage space , very good shower and aditional full rain cover (well used last year) and the selling feature for me was the pull out legs at the back ! allowing you to leave kid in it whilst getting your gear on in car parks etc and also for feeding . espcially usefull when out on your own !!
Juki 03 Jul 2006
In reply to mungo:
> the selling feature for me was the pull out legs at the back !

Most of the baby carries have this leg system, except Macpacs.

You just have to be very careful with that system. You should _never_ leave the baby unattended to the carrier that's on the ground. It will fall very easily. I've seen it happen once and it happens really quickly.

We were leaving from the car with my friend and he forgot sunglasses inside the car. He removed the carrier, put it in the ground and took the sunglasses from the front seat. That took about three seconds. I was maybe ten meters away with a carrier too.

Then I saw that the baby started to move and in one second the carrier felled. Luckily it was a soft landing so nothing happened expect a bit of crying.

You should always step over the support leg when you doing something around the carrier and not paying attention.
 Alrobertson 03 Jul 2006
In reply to JoH:

macpac seem to win from what i have seen. from both the passenger and porter point of view. hard to tell tho, nobody has ever let me carry their sprog in one.
Anonymous 03 Jul 2006
In reply to JoH:

Macpac very good indeed.

Not sure about the advisability of going out in "all weathers" though. We had many long and quite adventurous great days out in the mountains (but always planned it in good weather with change of plans if weather is bad.

One thing to remember is that the consequences of a slip in bad weather are rather more serious if you have a child on your back.
 Bokonon 03 Jul 2006
In reply to JoH:

I've got a VauDe one (Jolly 2 or somesuch as above) which is fine and very useable, lots of space and comfy for both carrier and carried.
I looked at the macpac and found it to be overly expensive for what you actually get, the main problem with any carrier is the fit the thing that will shorten any trip out with it will be annoyed baby, and if it doesn't fit in the carrier comfortably it will moan, and moan. So go for one that has the most adjustment that is easy to use.
 winhill 03 Jul 2006
In reply to JoH:

in my experience the needs of the carrier change rapidly as kiddie grows.

At six months, sleeping loads and not too active longer days are more feasible. By 18 months toddlers are more restless, which is more tiring on your back and they complain more as they want to walk themselves. Also much more capable of throwing themselves about and tipping the thing over when it's stood on the ground.

We have littlelife voyager now which is the mutts IMHO but very similar to bushbaby,macpac etc. Vaude seemed especially heavy and the legs are of limited use re tipping over (see above).

'All weathers' is tricky as all the rain covers are very claustrophobic and my boy cries when the front cover is closed, doesn't mind the sides. But it is in their face and mists up etc so perhaps an umbrella would be better.

We also have an older mothercare jobbie which has fold out wheels so converts to a buggy. this has proved excellent cos there is normally an amount of footpath/roadwork involved, also doesn't tip so kiddie can sit in when you get to the pub/cafe. We visited the cafe walking back from the mer du glace Mont Blanc once and the french were amazed to see a buggy turn up there - even more amazed to see it fold up and get carried off. The suspension system wasn't the best but cos you push them some of the way it was less important.
OP JoH 03 Jul 2006
Anonymous: Obviously we're not planning to deliberately take him out in a force 9 but this is Scotland after all, it doesn't always happen like the forecast, and I've seen snow in June come from nowhere. We'd like something we can be at least confident of keeping him dry if it all turns to crap. Thanks for your concern though, I've carried all my 4 kids from birth so well practiced at minimising but also well aware of the potential consequences of a fall.

From the comments so far and our own preferences - its looking like the Deuter KC III or the Vaude (though liking the Butterfly as oppose to the Jolly?) We tried them on in the shop and felt good but thats 5 mins in a shop, not a few hours on the hill - so thanks for the actual road reports . Its all down to who has the best raincover now then
 TobyA 03 Jul 2006
In reply to JoH:

> Its all down to who has the best raincover now then

The Deuter one is really a sun shade with a small pull out clear plastic visor which might keep rain out of their eyes - haven't tried it yet as the weather has been so nice.

One of the other things with the Deuter is that is packs down much smaller than the bushbaby so if you are flying and already have too many bags that helps a bit.

Anonymous 03 Jul 2006
In reply to JoH:

sorry to be over protective but you never know what people are intending - We've always thought carefully and I'm sure that some people have wondered what we were up to sometimes..
OP JoH 03 Jul 2006
In reply to Anonymous:

Don't worry about it.

TobyA. Raincover - or lack of decent one - might be the one thing that lets it down then. Unless anyone knows of an add on thats available?
Juki 03 Jul 2006
In reply to JoH:
I bought our Deuter Kid Comfort II from France and this sun/rain cover was included:
http://tinyurl.com/gtewe

This full rain cover was also available but it cost about 20 euros:
http://tinyurl.com/hwuj7
OP JoH 03 Jul 2006
In reply to Juki:

The first link is the only one I could find via google so i am pleased to see the second link (didn't occur to me to look at Deuter site! durrrrrrr..)

Thanks.
 Outdoor Eddie 04 Jul 2006
In reply to JoH:

I have a Macpac along with rain cover and sun cover - good bit of kit. Doing a 600m ascent in the Pyrennes with a nine-month old on your back plus your water and kits is great training!! And lots of people stopping and going 'Ooo - petit alpiniste!'

I would agree about the stand up legs - looks a good idea -but its likley to end in tears - avoid IMO! Base of Macpac is pretty flat so if you hold the grab handle (which you should) its easy enought to sort out.

If I was in the mearket for one now I would deifinitely cinsider Little Life too: http://www.littlelife.co.uk/carriers/index.htm

Hope that helps!
 NMM 04 Jul 2006
In reply to JoH:

We used a McKinley one, as have a number of our friends. Very good and comfy for porter (Me). Adjustable back, rain/sun hood, stand, carry handles, bag and cup holders. Used 6mths to 1.5 years with first child (inc day hikes in Pyrenees) less so due to time with second.

Well recommended.
Neil
georgefrogg 04 Jul 2006
In reply to JoH:

We used a Vaude Jolly Comfort with a rain hood a sun screen. The design iof the rain hood and sun thing has improved since we had ours. Even without these bits the child seemed well-protected from the elements. Our daughter was more than happy to spend hours in the Vaude. Just about everything was adjustable and well thought out. Seemed to wear well. From my point of view, the carrier was comfortable to wear and felt very stable despite daughter moving about within the limits of the internal harness/strapping. Would recommend the VJC.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...