UKC

Jagged Globe or Plas y Brenin best value / best week

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dave Murphy 16 Jul 2006
Looking to do Scottish mountaineerign course next winter.

To my eyes the two that provide accomidation are " Intermediaet winter Mountaineering" with Jagged Globe and a course arranged through Plas Y brennin " scottish winter technical"

The content of both seems to be similiar but does anyone have experience of these or is anyone in a position to compair whats on offer within both, and which one offers the biggest challenges

Alternatively if anyone can recomend other courses please do but i'd prefer accom as part of the course.
Bogsy 16 Jul 2006
In reply to Dave Murphy:

Try this one Dave

http://www.expeditionguide.com
Cooper 16 Jul 2006
In reply to Dave Murphy: Try Glenmore lodge. They are the Scottish equivalent of spasy brenin, are based in the Cairngorms, with accomodation. The place is very plush, in evenings there is a swim pool, climbing wall, bar with good selection of food, wines, beers and whiskies to use.

www.glenmorelodge.org.uk

Cooper
 stomach 16 Jul 2006
In reply to Dave Murphy:

I did the intro course last year with Jagged Globe. I can highly recommend it. Very posh hotel with hugh breakfasts and evening dinner! You get your lunch thrown in too!

The instructors were fantastic and very enthusiastic.

Havent been on Plas Y Brenin course yet or Glenmore lodge, but know people who have and were equally impressed.
Anonymous 17 Jul 2006
In reply to Dave Murphy:

Having worked on Jagged Globe winter courses I can confidently state the following:

If you want a jolly in a quality hotel, where the course clients are middle upper class who are spending their money on expeditions and have trouble walking up the Ski slopes on the Nevis range then go with Jagged globe.

If you want a good quality winter course with like minded people who have a thirst to learn the go with Plas Y Brenin.

My views are my own and come from 1st hand experience working on both providers courses.

jomo 17 Jul 2006
In reply to Anonymous:
Other alternatives are the Ice factor in Kinlochleven and Simon Powell also does courses, again based in the Glencoe area. They don't have their own accommodation, but there is a wide range available which they can help you with. I have friends who have done courses with Glenmore Lodge, Plas y brenin, Simon and the Ice factor and have all had good experiences. Simon was working independently last time I saw him, and I can thoroughly recommend him (he taught us on a conventional rock climbing week and is endlessly patient and reassuring). His webaddress was something like www.simonpowell.com, but google him and I'm sure you'll find his website.
 Ads Co. 17 Jul 2006
In reply to Dave Murphy: from what I have witnessed, you seem to get a much better organised course from the PYB staff. Ive just got back from switzerland and the Jagged Globe instructors really messed up and theire clients ended up having crap days were as we didnt.

I have also done the Scottish technical course with PYB and it was amazing and the hotel they use is really nice with great food and a nice bar to relax in with easy access to Fort William and some great mountains and routes.

Hope this is useful
karl_w 19 Jul 2006
In reply to Dave Murphy: have you had a look at moran mountaineering,very good accomadation in private lodge with other people on other courses only around twelve of you so no noisy hotel guests plus its up in loch carron so its away from the crowds although if need be they will travel over to the cairgorms or down to the ben if the weathers not up to it,the instuction is first class,if you,ve seen any of martin morans books you,ll know what i mean,i was on a intro winter climber course the beggining of this year highly reccommended
luke_brown 19 Jul 2006
To add another option to the pot, last Jan I went with Pete Hill. Had a really good time, learnt loads and only 3 others on the course so got a lot of pete's time. Think it was also a fair bit cheaper than the Jagged globe one.

Accomodation is included (nice little B&B, great breakfasts!) and cost was £395

check out http://www.petehillmic.com/Winter%20Skills.htm
 whispering nic 20 Jul 2006
In reply to luke_brown:

www.glenmorelodge.org.uk
 SNC 20 Jul 2006
In reply to karl_w:
I had good experience of Martin Moran in Scotland years ago (ended up with 2 days on the hill with A Living Legend who was working for Martin to get his Guides logbook stamped or whatever - excellent, 1 day with Martin [dry sense of humour, very capable guy] and 2 days with a top-notch local guy). I would recommend checking him out. The Brenin has always been good & very professional in my experience over the years, I don't know about Glenmore Lodge personally as I've never been there, but I know other people who rate it highly.

One thing about going direct to an independent guide like Moran or others is that the experience can be IMHO, let's say, more personal and mellow than the Brenin which is a bigger operation. All these outfits should be operating to the same minimum standard, as they all hold the same types of qualifications, and indeed many of the same staff will work for the various providers at different times. So it's down to customer service, client care, and if it's someone's business and livelihood then that should be focussing their minds. A good guide/instructor should also try to let the clients have some input into destination, route etc, rather than do exactly what they did the week before. There's plenty of suppliers out there, you pay your money and take your choice.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...