UKC

LLanberis Pass bouldering

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
_ligz_ 18 Jul 2006
Hi. I've only ever done bouldering indoors, but now I can drive I went up to Llanberis Pass y/day to try out having a go on real rock.
Im not sure if its Cromlech Boulders I went to ... half way up the pass, on the right handside opposite the long lay-by. Anwyway, was having a play around and thought 'F**k, this is a lot harder than indoors.' What grade are most of the climbs / problems / whaterver? I have rock shoes, so unfortunatly I cant blame my poor performance on having trainers or whatever lol.
Can anyone suggest any other places around there which would be easier to get me started?
 mwerner 18 Jul 2006
In reply to _ligz_:
Cromlech is on the left-hand side of the road as you are looking up the pass:
http://www.ukclimbing.com/databases/crags/craginfo.html?id=1635
 Andy Say 18 Jul 2006
In reply to _ligz_:
half way up the pass on the left hand side? (as you face up the pass) is the Cromlech boulders.
Easy access are the RAC boulders (half way between Pen y Gwryd and Plas y Brenin 50 meteres from road in a field.
On the hillside opposite Cromlech boulders are loads of areas up behind the club hut.
My basic advice would be 'just play'! Don't neccessarily follow the chalk; even at the Cromlech there are easier lines which are often overlooked. Where are you travelling from?
Hotbad Peteel 18 Jul 2006
In reply to _ligz_:

cromlech boulders are surrounded by laybys haldf way up the pass, before you get to the sharp turn over the bridge on the way up to pen y pass (from llanberis). Theres a load of boulders scatteredd round there with good problems. Opposite oin the hillside is a big face called the barrel. Its barrel shaped and a fair way off. Walk towards llanberis and turn down by the climbers club hut and walk up the hill for other stuff. Theres utopia boulder which is a big almost cube of a blokc. Very high. Carry on up and you get to wavelength area, pieshop boulders got some really mean single move v3 and v4 problems if you fancy seeing how strong you are. Wavelength has excellent problems, the arete is fantastic, the groove is even better. Carry on up the hill for other boulders and over onto the meadow at the back for even more. RAC boulders is atthe other end of the pass. Carry on up past men y pass and out the other end, turn left, go for a few miles and theres a massive layby opposite the lake. Stop there and walk up the track (metal gate). Not much hard stuff and its a bit polished but generally ok for an evening just playing about. Theres a few harder problems there. Ogwyn valley has a lot. Sheep pen boulders are a slog up the hill but an excellent setting on a flat section on the hillside. Excellent problems, quite crimpy in places though (but then your in wales get used to it). Other than theres the coastal boulders.
p
_ligz_ 18 Jul 2006
In reply to mwerner:

Ye, sorry, i meant on the left hand side. Oops.

Im on Anglesey btw
 EdEd 18 Jul 2006
In reply to _ligz_:

Its some good stuff enjoy it whilist you can! I only spent one year of my three in bangor playing in the pass and i'm sure regretting it now! There are some great problem and areas all really mentioned above, if your up for some fun easy stuff i'd head up to the RAC's good fun and not too tough.

But you should defiantly slog your way up to the Sheep Pens, its brillant and beautifull.

Do you have a copy of the N.Wales Bouldering Guide? That will enlighten you to where to go and what to do.

Have Fun!
 ste_d 18 Jul 2006
In reply to _ligz_:

you are not alone

climbing on 'real' rock is usually harder than climbing indoors

when climbing indoors, you usually, climb dot-to-dot, bolt on to bolt on, this is quite different to climbing on 'real rock'

climbing on 'real rock' requires the development of different techniques to those needed indoors, indeed, different techniques come into play on different rock type, e.g. contrast grit, with slate, with limestone, with mountain rocks...

you are not alone, do not be afraid of the dark
 Alun 18 Jul 2006
In reply to ste_d:
> climbing on 'real' rock is usually harder than climbing indoors

Not necessarily harder - just different. I generally boulder at a higher grade outdoors than indoors, because I've done a lot of outdoor climbing which makes up for my lack of strength. But I agree entirely that it is very common for indoor climbers to find it difficult when they go 'proper' climbing for the first time.

To the OP - keep at it, and concentrate on that footwork!
 ste_d 18 Jul 2006
In reply to Alun: hence the sentence 'this is quite different to climbing on 'real rock''

but you are right, in my initial sentence i did refer to it as being 'harder'
 mark reeves Global Crag Moderator 18 Jul 2006
In reply to _ligz_: Don't be disheartened, climbing outdoors is harder, especially if you are going to boulder is harder, as the hand and foot holds aren't as obvious.

Get yourself a copy of North Wales Bouldering and get stuck in youth!

RAC, casseg Fraith, have good bouldering.
 Mick Ward 18 Jul 2006
In reply to Hotbad Peteel:
> (In reply to _ligz_)
>
> Carry on up past men y pass

Love it!

Mick

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...