UKC

Solo in Lofoten

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
I'll be visiting the Islands for a week in late august. I was planning on touring through the islands with some wilderness camping and also climbing a few peaks. I'll be taking a 30m 8mm rope (for any abseils) and harness, rockshoes etc in case I meet any climbing partners. I have plenty of mountaineering experience and would be happy soloing something like the Coire Lagan Round (not including Kings Chimney).

Any recommendations on routes (in particular the South face route on Vagakallen) and general advice would be most appreciated. I have a copy of Ed Websters book.

Cheers
NMM
 TobyA 20 Jul 2006
In reply to Northern Mountain Monkey: I think the easy way up Vagakallan is mainly walking isn't it? We tried the North Ridge but screwed up:

"Wednesday we tried to do the North Ridge of Vågakallen, the mountain that dominates that part of Lofoten. A rough hike got us to the start of the ridge, but the guide description is pants and we ended up on the ridge too early on the worst granite I've ever had the misfortune to climb. Then it started drizzling so we rapped off. That day was my 30th birthday and the rough plan had been to start as mean to go on, climbing a fantastic route on a beautiful mountain in the sunshine. The result was ironic but perhaps more in keeping with my climbing career so far! Ces la vie. If anyone wants some tips on getting to the route's real start I can give them. "

In reply to TobyA:
Cheers for the link. The Webster guidebook suggests its a scramble and some parties may find a rope useful. However he gives it Norwegian class 4 (roughly about VDiff according to the grades comparison table?). I think I'll be going for up and down routes (as opposed to traverses) so that I don't have any epic descents!

NMM

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...